Xbox One Sells 2 Million In 18 Days

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Xbox One Sells 2 Million In 18 Days

At peak demand, customers were ordering the Xbox One at over 1000 units per minute on Amazon.com.

If you followed the pre-launch coverage of Sony and Microsoft's newest machines, it would be a safe bet to assume that the PS4 would outsell the Xbox One by a considerable margin, based on all the negative news surrounding Microsoft's console, as well as its higher price point. But it's turning out to be a closer race than most expected. Earlier in the month, Sony announced it had sold 2 million PS4 consoles [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130171-PS4-Sells-2-1-Million-Units-Worldwide], and now, Microsoft's Larry "Major Nelson" Hyrb has stepped up to announce that the Xbox One also sold 2 million units in it's first 18 days.

When the consoles were first released, both Microsoft and Sony were keen to announce that they had each sold a million units within 24 hours. Critics pointed out that the Microsoft figure was for 13 markets worldwide, whereas the Sony figure was solely from North America. However, now both systems have launched in most major worldwide markets, and both companies are still neck-and-neck.

Major Nelson also dropped a few more Xbox numbers alongside his announcement:

Over 83 million hours in games, TV, and apps on Xbox One since the system launched
39 million Xbox One achievements unlocked
595 million total Gamerscore achieved on Xbox One
At peak demand, customers were ordering the Xbox One console at over 1000 units per minute on Amazon.com

It's worth noting that neither console has launched in Japan as of yet, a region that Sony has traditionally dominated.

Source: Major Nelson [http://majornelson.com/2013/12/11/xbox-one-sells-2-million-units-in-18-days/]

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
Okay this is just getting ridiculous. First Mr Bogos reposts basically the same PS4 "news story" from yesterday, (see http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130462-Gamers-Push-PS4s-Share-Button-Over-10-Million-Times

By Mr Bogos

proceeded by

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130396-PS4-Livestreams-Total-38-Years-Worth-of-Content

by Carly Smith)

and now the same for an XBoxOne story...

Basically the same story, however at least this one doesn't use half of the same content verbatim.

Michael Epstein said:
<

In case you didn't already know. People are buying a lot of next-gen consoles. Microsoft drove that point home yet again today, announcing they've sold more than two million Xbox Ones to players since the console's international launch 18 days ago. According to Microsoft, that's 111,111 per day.

"We continue to be humbled and overwhelmed by the positive response from our fans," Xbox marketing and strategy vice president Yusuf Mehdi wrote in a prepared statement. "We are thrilled to see sales of Xbox One on a record-setting pace, with over 2 million Xbox One consoles in homes around the world. Demand is exceeding supply in our 13 launch markets and Xbox One is sold out at most retailers."

Despite reports complaining about of a range of hardware [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130183-Xbox-One-Party-Chat-Will-Get-Better-Says-Major-Nelson] issues, both PS4s and Xbox Ones having been flying off the shelf since launch in record numbers. Sony announced that PS4 hardware sales crossed the two million-mark last week.
Steven Bogos said:
If you followed the pre-launch coverage of Sony and Microsoft's newest machines, it would be a safe bet to assume that the PS4 would outsell the Xbox One by a considerable margin, based on all the negative news surrounding Microsoft's console, as well as its higher price point. But it's turning out to be a closer race than most expected. Earlier in the month, Sony announced it had sold 2 million PS4 consoles [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130171-PS4-Sells-2-1-Million-Units-Worldwide], and now, Microsoft's Larry "Major Nelson" Hyrb has stepped up to announce that the Xbox One also sold 2 million units in it's first 18 days.
What the actual fuck is going on here. This was barely news when Michael Epstein posted it, and even less so a mere 15 HOURS LATER.

Rodolphe Kourkenko

Dec 10, 2012
So we have, per user in two weeks, 41.5 hours of play, 19.5 achievements and 297.5 gamerscore (since i don't own a console i don't know what is this thing ^^) and, at one moment, in two weeks, 1000 consoles were ordered worldwide.

It's just a PR war between Sony and Microsoft.Both want to show (whether true or false, no matter) their resounding success. If you take the number and divide it by the sold consoles, they are just less impressive. They want to reassure their customers (and their shareholders) with this kind of numbers that don't mean anything.

And the Ezcapist (and other vg sites) post them because a lot of fanboys are arguing everywhere about which console won the launch. It's a flamewar so articles like this gave them traffic.

From his seat high in the heavens, the great Gabe look at the raging fanboys arguing and an expression appears on his face, meaning "WTF ?!"

sirjeffofshort

Oct 2, 2012
WWmelb said:
Okay, good, I was wondering if I'd gone insane, or somehow they'd sold 2 million units twice, but instead it was just a double post. haha.

Oh well, I guess these things happen, it's still a little confusing for dedicated readers though.

Hatchet90

Nov 15, 2009
And I'm just sitting here buying a computer for under $1000 that will be able to play everything for years to come. I don't understand the reason people go out and become early adopters of consoles. There is guaranteed to be bugs with the system, the price will come down for either system after a year when they're more available, and there are currently no killer apps for either system. Wait a year and you'll get everything you want in the console and more. It's just silly to be a first day buyer.

TomWiley

Jul 20, 2012
Credossuck said:
So, how does this hogwash qualify as news?
Well, had anyone claimed that the Xbox One would sell just as well as the PS4 a few months ago, people would have laughed.

Haakmed

Oct 29, 2010
2 questions I have. 1) How many of those have been shipped? And 2) How many people are putting those up for resale in the hopes of making a quick buck?

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Nintendo would like to inform everyone that more people have played Mario games on Wii U this year than PS4 or Xbox One!

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
The funniest part is, other than having the believed excuse to wave their dicks in the neighbours' faces for having 'the newest thing', in essence all they have is an overpriced box with no games to play.

Big whoop.

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
1. I already told people they were idiots for all that 'NEGATIVE PRE-RELEASE' nonsense saying how the console would do SO badly when the average consumer does not give a shit and the console is more user friendly than a PS4 still (PS3 had a lot more performance than x360 anyway).

2. None of this matters compared to sales over the lifetime. The PS3 sold abysmally when it released, yet ended up pulling as many units as the x360 in the end (over 70 bloody million!) None of this 'omg who sold more!' matters.

Now if we can just stop this console wars stuff (including the 'PC MASTER RACE' shit) I'd be much happier when I come on these sites for news.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
Yeah, none of this is relevant enough to be called "news".

There are *millions* of Xbox Ones sitting on store shelves, while at least 4 PS4 shipments now have been consistently sold out. My local EBGames has Xbox One's literally sitting on the shelves, but PS4's are in extremely high demand.

Which is good because, contrary to what seems to be the view of some Facebook commenters, Sony's launch line-up was not "lacking". Maybe it's just me, but Xbox One exclusives are pathetic. Ryse: Son of Rome is grey/brown awful (it might be "shiny", but it's not at all new or interesting, it's the same grey/brown Xbox crap!), Dead Rising 3 is the most gritty (negative word), brown, dudebro game ever. Of all time. Dead Rising *2* actually had colour!

rapidoud said:
the average consumer does not give a shit and the console is more user friendly than a PS4 still (PS3 had a lot more performance than x360 anyway).
Wait, what? More user friendly? The Xbox dashboard got progressively more complicated and unorganised.. Ads plastered all over (even if you have a Gold subscription account..) It's mess.. o_O PS3's XMB always looks rather simplistic and slick.

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
Wait, people are actually arguing over which console "won" the launch? Haha, ok.

That said, its pretty ridiculous how Xbone seems to garner all the attention around here even though its gonna take a backseat to Sony for yet a third generation.

Does Escapist get paid to push Microsoft shit down our throats, or what?

TomWiley

Jul 20, 2012
MattAn24 said:
Yeah, none of this is relevant enough to be called "news".

There are *millions* of Xbox Ones sitting on store shelves, while at least 4 PS4 shipments now have been consistently sold out. My local EBGames has Xbox One's literally sitting on the shelves, but PS4's are in extremely high demand.

Which is good because, contrary to what seems to be the view of some Facebook commenters, Sony's launch line-up was not "lacking". Maybe it's just me, but Xbox One exclusives are pathetic.
So, Microsoft sold 2 million consoles in 18 days, but that doesn't matter because you saw a couple of unsold Xbox One's in your local EB Games? And you think that's good because, according to you, the Xbox One line-up sucks just as much as the PS4s?

Christ, why can't we just be happy that both consoles are selling well?