Xbox One TV Features May Not Require Gold Subscription

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Xbox One TV Features May Not Require Gold Subscription

Has Microsoft pulled another "Xbox One-Eighty" on a controversial policy?

Speaking to Gold subscription would be required [http://www.gamefront.com/microsoft-xbox-live-gold-not-needed-for-xbox-one-tv-features/] for the Xbox One's TV features.

"You can do the HDMI pass through [without a gold subscription]," said Microsoft's Lead Planner for the Xbox group, Albert Penello, adding that Xbox One owners can also "do the TV guide stuff without Gold." Penello seems to be referring to the system's "OneGuide", which allows users to connect an HDMI line from their cable box to the Xbox One's HDMI-in port, allowing the game console to control the user's TV service.

On the official Xbox One features website, [http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live#features] it still states that "Xbox Live Gold members with Xbox One can experience a customized view of what's on TV, and see what's trending within the Xbox Live community," which means either Penello misspoke, or this is another chapter in Microsoft's history of miscommunication and policy reversal.

If true, this is good news for purchasers who were looking forward to a feature Microsoft have repeatedly pushed as a major selling point. It may also mean that the Xbox One's game DVR, which was also previously thought to require a Gold subscription, may also be made available for free.

We've reached out to Microsoft for an official clarification on this issue.

Source: GameFront [http://www.gamefront.com/microsoft-xbox-live-gold-not-needed-for-xbox-one-tv-features/]

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
We don't have to pay to get features no one asked for and to turn over reams of media viewing information to Microsoft by creating a link of questionable utility between a game console and our cable boxes?

Say! That is good news!

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Why don't they puddle it with a TV, saying it is the remote?

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Considering it's probably not even gonna be a usable feature in my region, I still don't even care. Even if it was, what demographic are they aiming at? Most people I know around my age don't watch TV anymore, they download episodes of their shows and watch them using their PS3 media server.

Why would we sit through ads and waste our time with terrible stream quality when we can have 720p quality episodes without the hassle and having to pay $600 to be able to attempt to talk to a box that won't be able to understand our accent anyway?

Seriously, the Xbox One is just extra hassle given a physical form and a price tag.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Considering you need a cable box for this to work means that this will be of limited use for those that use internal decoders.

Also: This was going to be locked behind a paywall as well? Microsoft what can you do wiith an One-Eighty that doesn't require Gold?

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Ed130 said:
Considering you need a cable box for this to work means that this will be of limited use for those that use internal decoders.

Also: This was going to be locked behind a paywall as well? Microsoft what can you do wiith an One-Eighty that doesn't require Gold?
Rumor is the ability to buy Gold is only for Gold members.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Aaaaand, cue the rabid cries of "BUT, MAH FEATURES!"

The sad thing is the very same people who are still howling over the removal of the console's initial DRM setup will line up on release day, buy it and still have a grand ol' time.

ClockworkUniverse

Nov 15, 2012
I should fucking HOPE I'd be able to watch TV on my TV without giving Microsoft money.

Though, I mean, I still see no reason to use the Xbone that way, given that it would basically just be an extremely unreliable remote. And given that like more and more people these days, I don't actually watch TV on my TV, Xbox or no Xbox.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Am I misreading this? You won't need a Gold membership to use the Xbox One as a remote control? That's what I'm getting out of it. And I don't see any reason that would be required. It's not like changing channels on a normal TV requires internet access.

Maybe it's more of that future that Microsoft promised us. In the future, you will require internet service to make toast.

Also, don't cable and satellite service providers already have perfectly useable guides? And many, if not most/all, come with DVR these days. Would these things even be compatible with each other? Give me more time, and I'm certain I can find other reasons watching TV on your game console doesn't make any sense.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
ClockworkUniverse said:
I should fucking HOPE I'd be able to watch TV on my TV without giving Microsoft money.
This is pretty much what I came here to say. In complete utter honesty its just stupid that they would have that feature in there. I mean for what, 60 bucks for an entire year you get cable tv? That's actually not a bad deal and can save a lot of money for some people. I still find it stupid because odds are anyone buying the most expensive console out currently probably has cable.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
Awesome. Xbox One has gone from "maybe if I find one for $250" to "When I find one for $250".

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
So they won't charge us to use a feature that they'll be making hundreds and thousands (millions?) off of anyway through advertising? Like they already do with the dashboard?

Whoopdee-f*ckin'-doo

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
It's great to see that they won't be charging people for doing what remotes have been doing for us up until now. Considering these features won't actually work here anyway I don't see any reason to care one way or the other though.

thisbymaster

Sep 10, 2008
Get back to me when everything but the online gaming side is free from Microsoft's network. You know, just like Sony. I am ok with paying for the service if it comes with free games and/or online playing but to charge me to services I have already paid for is nuts.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
You spin me right round, baby
Right round like a record, baby
Right round round round
You spin me right round, baby
Right round like a record, baby
Right round round round

Here the chorus out of You spin me round[like a record] from Dead or Alive [1985]
Yes there was band with a song like this look it up.

It fits you microsoft it fits you. You make my sonic screwdriver blush!

Bad Puns aside really, right then whatever you say Microsoft. Yeah it was kinda stupid to ask money to support functions that are payed for. As in paying for Gold to watch Netflix, netflix aint free, microsoft isn't giving Netflix money of the gold subscription so by what right does Microsoft puts Netflix behind a paywal?

How fitting, the captcha: emperor's clothes

Shuu

Apr 23, 2013
Again? They backtracked again?! This is so fun! It's so fun! ;D
Next we'll hear that PS4 has some kinect clone periferal!