Xbox One Version of Fallout 4 Comes With Backwards Compatible Fallout 3

regalphantom

Feb 10, 2011
As a reminder to people, 2K and Valve did the same thing (or a similar thing) with the pre-orders for Bioshock Infinite (the only difference being the games they gave away depended on how many people pre-ordered), and nobody started doom-saying back then.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Alek The Great said:
You do get fallout 3 immediately (or, well, a few days after you have preordered the game online at most). What happens is you get a redeem code that you punch in either on the Xbox site (where you preordered the game in the first place) or on a 360 if you have one. You can immediately start playing it if you have a 360 or once backwards compatibility update officially launches on the Xbox one - it shows up in the ready to install section of your game collection when it's available. You can also start on the 360 and continue your cloud save on the one which is pretty neat.

So yeah, pretty simple in my opinion. Preorder game for Xbox one. Download and play other bonus game on the 360 or wait a few months until you can play it on Xbox one. Play preordered game as well.

EDIT: Accidentally hit post before finishing up the last sentence.
Interesting about the start on 360 and finish on XBO option, must say the backwards compatibility and this preorder bonus was a smart move for Microsoft, it's certainly giving them something of an edge over Sony

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
People on this forum still jump through hoops in order to ***** about free stuff. Unfucking believable.

ninja51

Mar 28, 2010
hahaha seriously, its funny that because of the first 10 or so comments being exclusively negative bullshit about how this isn't "enough" (IE: Bethesdas game instead of Obsidians refinement) or that giving a past game away free as preorder bonuses is pointless, every comment from now on will be about gamers entitlement and shitty attitude. I mean Its evocative of the internet, 10 people had a specific opinion and voiced it first, that will now become a heavily influence on the entire thread causing many a post exclusively about how ALL gamers are entitled and what not. I mean, it makes sense to a point, instead of exclusive pre-order gameplay we all hate, they just give one of their old games away on a platform we havn't been able to play it on, and THE FIRST 10 COMMENTS ARE ALL DISMISSIVE AND JEERING.

layne

Jun 14, 2013
It's been refreshing to read more news stories about MS providing good things for their customers. I don't game on XBox but if I did, I would be immensely pleased with a port of Fallout 3. It would be a great way to pass the time until Fallout 4 drops.

Ftaghn To You Too

Nov 25, 2009
This is a good idea. You don't want players becoming overhyped and disappointed by what you deliver, and playing Fallout 3 is a great way to dampen one's hopes and expections about what Bethesda can deliver.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
ninja51 said:
hahaha seriously, its funny that because of the first 10 or so comments being exclusively negative bullshit about how this isn't "enough" (IE: Bethesdas game instead of Obsidians refinement) or that giving a past game away free as preorder bonuses is pointless, every comment from now on will be about gamers entitlement and shitty attitude. I mean Its evocative of the internet, 10 people had a specific opinion and voiced it first, that will now become a heavily influence on the entire thread causing many a post exclusively about how ALL gamers are entitled and what not. I mean, it makes sense to a point, instead of exclusive pre-order gameplay we all hate, they just give one of their old games away on a platform we havn't been able to play it on, and THE FIRST 10 COMMENTS ARE ALL DISMISSIVE AND JEERING.
Was going to write a comment, but yours communicate my thoughts so well. Amazing that people are moaning over something they are getting for free. Something they dont even to preorder on XB1 when they could pre order in a shop with out FO3. Especially when its FO4 - a game that will be awesome and doesnt need FO3 to sell it. I dont know if they are MS haters, PS4 fanboys or just plain haters of pre ordering.

TheRealGoochman

Apr 7, 2010
Really?!?!?!? People are complaining about a free game coming with an AMAZING looking game?!?!?!?!?

Can't tell if people are trolling or just trying to be edgy.

I think it is an awesome idea. Even if it did not come with Fallout 3 I am still getting Fallout 4 and eagerly counting down the days until 11/10/15 (Under 127 days by the way).

Can't wait for Fallout 4 Can't wait for Fallout 4 Can't wait for Fallout 4 Can't wait for Fallout 4 Can't wait for Fallout 4 Can't wait for Fallout 4 Can't wait for Fallout 4 Can't wait for Fallout 4 Can't wait for Fallout 4 Can't wait for Fallout 4 Can't wait for Fallout 4 Can't wait for Fallout 4 Can't wait for Fallout 4 All work and no play makes jack a dull boy Can't wait for Fallout 4 Can't wait for Fallout 4 Can't wait for Fallout 4 Can't wait for Fallout 4 Can't wait for Fallout 4 Can't wait for Fallout 4 Can't wait for Fallout 4 Can't wait for Fallout 4 Can't wait for Fallout 4 Can't wait for Fallout 4 Can't wait for Fallout 4

Uhuru N'Uru

Oct 8, 2014
Well I'm with Sony on this one, I don't get this backward compatibility at all.
First it's not backwards compatability at all, minimum will be 64-bit executable download. Maybe much more.
Even so the games will be a limited selection and if this is any indication more about selling a new game than letting you play the old one on a system it's never been optimized for.

If playing last gen games is something you care about, keeping your 360/PS3 makes much more sense than porting to a vastly different system.
Same applies to Sony's streaming thing, if I care I keep the old machine.

As for the comments about giving away 360 copies of Fallout 3, no one who cares will not have it already.
They won't sell many 360 games that are this old. It costs nothing to give this away.
Most negative comments are about the basic rubbish offered for pre-ordering any game.

One point I'd add to the comment about getting pre-order content when you buy after release.
That usually only happens a year or so later. When a complete edition containing all DLC comes out.

Jedamethis

Jul 24, 2009
If it's GOTY edition that'd be great, I never got around to buying Broken Steel.
If they were taking money out of their own pocket and bending over backwards to please us I might believe they were making up for shortcomings in Fallout 4, but what would this actually cost them? I'm sure it's just a bonus they thought we might appreciate, though I've already started replaying Fallout 3

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
The more that pre-ordering is pushed, the more worried I become about the game. It's like saying: "We doubt this will sell well once people have played and reviewed it, so lets get as many people as possible to pay for it before they see it".

TheRealGoochman

Apr 7, 2010
TallanKhan said:
The more that pre-ordering is pushed, the more worried I become about the game. It's like saying: "We doubt this will sell well once people have played and reviewed it, so lets get as many people as possible to pay for it before they see it".
I think it is more along the lines of "Microsoft wants to do something to kick off their Backwards Compatibility, so we're adding Fallout 3 to do that because we are buddy buddy with MS.........and hey free game for the people who have not played it who are buying Fallout 4"

I doubt Bethesda is in the Warner Brothers Interactive lot of "PREORDER NOW (so we don't feel bad about messing up the game)". I have never been disappointed with a Todd Howard game, and I don't think I will with this one

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
TheRealGoochman said:
TallanKhan said:
I think it is more along the lines of "Microsoft wants to do something to kick off their Backwards Compatibility, so we're adding Fallout 3 to do that because we are buddy buddy with MS.........and hey free game for the people who have not played it who are buying Fallout 4"

I doubt Bethesda is in the Warner Brothers Interactive lot of "PREORDER NOW (so we don't feel bad about messing up the game)". I have never been disappointed with a Todd Howard game, and I don't think I will with this one
Maybe but if it were just awareness for the backwards compatibility there are easier ways to do it. Perhaps I'm just too cynical about pre-orders, but, that said, the last time a company which had made good games up to that point started pushing pre-orders for a new instalment in a strong franchise we got Dragon Age 2.