Xbox One Won't Support External Storage At Launch

TakeyB0y2

A Mistake
Jun 24, 2011
I think 500gb is good enough for a console. I mean, all you'll likely keep on it is installed games and saves, the latter of which takes up practically nothing by today's standards. A 200gb SSD for my PC has all my installed games on it, and it still has quite a lot of space left on it.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Sleekit said:
Saltyk said:
how many will be able to have it even understand their language?
i'm Scottish.

the machine has two setting for "English".

"US" and "UK"

i'm looking forward to the youtube videos already...

"hexboax oan"

"hex-boax...oan"

"HEXBOAX OAN"

"HEXBOAX FUCKIN OAN YA FUCKIN PILE A SHITE!"
Let's be honest. You and I both know Microsoft doesn't care about you. You don't live in the US. Which is their primary demographic. I think they made that perfectly clear by now.

Is the Xbox One even launching in Scotland? I'm really not even sure.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
The non-removable Hard drive was a deal breaker for me already considering I have 3 dead 360's and the ability to take it out of a dead one and slap it in another solved the problem instantly for me on more than one occasion. The USB storage is pretty much useless anyhow if the Xbox won't power on to be able to use it. Who the hell wants a stupid looking USB device hooked up to their console all the time anyhow? Not to mention it will eventually wear on the USB connection to the board over time and break it when you have something like that connected to it all the time pulling on it.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
TakeyB0y2 said:
I think 500gb is good enough for a console. I mean, all you'll likely keep on it is installed games and saves, the latter of which takes up practically nothing by today's standards. A 200gb SSD for my PC has all my installed games on it, and it still has quite a lot of space left on it.
500gb is pretty much useless when it won't power on if it is non removable. On the 360 when it won't power on at least you could take it out and put it in another and solve the problem easily (Which was a life saver when 3 of the 360's died on me). Of course the USB would be just as useless at that point as well, hence one of the primary reasons I decided to not buy their console this time unless they make another one that solves these issues later. It isn't like they are giving it a 10 year warranty that covers your friends knocking it off the counter. LOL

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
TakeyB0y2 said:
I still find it baffling that they decided to keep such a small drive for something that was going to have DVR capability; I'd have thought at least 1TB would be needed for an all in one.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Maybe they should just delay the launch.
That might look worse than constantly dropping features and promising they will be added later, but it will look better than an unfinished product, which the Xbox One is quickly shaping up to look like.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Knight Templar said:
Maybe they should just delay the launch.
That might look worse than constantly dropping features and promising they will be added later, but it will look better than an unfinished product, which the Xbox One is quickly shaping up to look like.
They wanted to beat Sony out the gate, which they did by one week in 13 countries.

Remember MS actually waited for Sony to drop its release date before announcing theirs.

Magnethead

Feb 1, 2011
As others have said, this is a bit of a non-issue, because you're not going to fill up 500GB shortly after launch. You'd need to install a load of day one releases and then put lots of music and videos on the disk, say if you wanted to use it as the One media device for your lounge room. And this is clearly not something that Microsoft is aiming for.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
I'm struggling to see how this wouldn't be available at launch.

Like... I'm really having trouble understanding why external storage wouldn't be supported right off the bat.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Even the Wii let's you store data and games on SD cards. You know it's bad when you have to play catch up with Nintendo's last gen console.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
So, who is waiting for the obviuos "pay us 10 dolalrs to unlock external hardware support" news message after launch?
Either that or they will act like with everything else - will sell external HDDs that work only on Xbone and you wont be able to use normal devices on it. you know, like with all Microsoft peripherals, because how else can you rip people off tenfold.

SonOfVoorhees said:
Well they want you to use the cloud to save stuff...also notice the "at launch" part. Until then you can just delete stuff you no longer need....if your not playing the game then delete it off your harddrive or use the cloud. This is just moaning for nothing - this is not a big deal, just ripe for a 1st word problem meme. Im waiting for a "XB1 doesnt play C64 cassettes" story.

Again...read....wont support external storage AT LAUNCH!! Or do you think you can fill up that drive within 2 days?
how about hours? i never had a hard drive that isnt full and theres at least 10 times the amount of data id like to write if i could. i currently have 500 gb on a laptop, and its really small drive to have.

Adam Jensen said:
Just how finished is this abomination exactly? 30%? Is that too generous?
considerthing that its core feature - ability to watch tv - works id say around 50%. what, you wanted to play games on this thing? thats only a secondary feature they will give you at thier leisure.

Infernal Lawyer said:
TBH I'm not sure if you can actually run highly demanding games of HDD drives anyway.
to put it simply, yes they can
Explanation:

That depends on USB you use.
If you use 1.0 you got 1.5mbps. noone uses these anymore.
if you use 1.1 you got 12 mbps. noone uses these anymore.
if you use 2.0 you got 3 speeds: low speed (same as 1.0, noone uses), Full speed (same as 1.1 theoretically, ive seen one doing a sustained transfer at 40mbps couple times). these are often used for flash drives as they usually dont need fast transfer. and you got hi-speed, which is theoretically up to 480 mbps. these are what are used for hard drives.
If you use USB 3.0 that is widespread for HDDs now and starting to take stance on flash drives, you got thoeretical speed up to 5 Gbps. To compare, internal SATA HDD has theoretical speed up to 6 gbps. and to compare to reading off the disc, 1x is around 36mbps speed of reading, so even well working USB 2.0 at hi-speed transfer if we assume theoretical maximum could outdo a 13x blue ray drive. most drives are bellow these speeds. and USB 3.0 can compare in speeds with internal hard drives.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
To repeat what others have said; I can't imagine anyone burning through 500GB that quickly. But putting that aside I can't see how external storage isn't possible. Maybe I'm underestimating the process to detect the drive and transfer the data. Seems like all the ex HD plug and play. Perhaps like the speech recognition software for kinect it shall require much tuning to adapt to the various devices out there. It truly is hard to tell what's "easy" or "hard" in the way programing a system. Again like others have said; why are they releasing a unfinished project. This isn't the first "Not at launch" release. Coupled with the limited release in countries makes it all seem bleak. Who knows? Perhaps MS will surprise us all.

HavoK 09

Apr 1, 2010
at this point what can the Xbox One do?

can it play games?

can it even be turned on or will it only turn on fora few selected countries at launch?

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
The Cloud [http://dailydamocles.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/mushroom-cloud.jpg]

Love the cloud [http://www.corbisimages.com/images/Corbis-HU037075.jpg?size=67&uid=52e3edea-a229-4004-9df4-7cf2c8dcd334]

The Cloud gives only peace and serenity [http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/10/16/article-2218426-15865AE4000005DC-383_634x623.jpg]

The Cloud breathes life and renewal [http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/chemical.bomb.jpg]

The Cloud eliminates chaos and strife [http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/46023000/jpg/_46023177_funnelcloud.jpg]

The Cloud cradles us and keeps us safe from harm [http://media-social.s-msn.com/images/blogs/00120065-0000-0000-0000-000000000000_469b5687-f4ab-4992-a2ac-46c322b7a161_20130116044628_ChinaPollution_011513_RM_300.jpg]

The Cloud is the solution to all of the problems of life. [http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2008/11/12/GassedBig.jpg]

The Cloud is the future. There is nothing to fear, accept it and rejoice [http://www.thenoisecast.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/evil-clouds.jpg]

Yeah needless to say I am getting real weary of all this talk of "the cloud" like it is some sort of salvation. I simply cannot understand why it has to be explained why net connectivity as a prerequisite of any type to access products paid for is not an acceptable solution to anything.

Dont get me wrong. I utilize remote computing myself. In fact I am this week building a network to be able to remote view all the various desktops I have to do long distance tech support on to run on my android handheld. There is some good that can come from remote computing, but under no circumstance should remote computing be allowed to be the ONLY solution or method to achieve results, ever.

So, even if MS is relying on the cloud to cover themselves until they can finish whatever they have been screwing around with that is keeping them from having what was rational and logical need given

that the Xbox One internal hard drive is non-replaceable
then they need to push the release date back, forget trying to head to head with Sony and put out a finished product because we all know how this industry has such a stellar track record on delivering delayed promises once they have their money in hand.

Other thought: Uhm... On the above quote. So please tell me that does not actually mean that this system that supposedly is intended to run for a decade always on has a design flaw so gaping wide you could drive a defensive line of mack trucks through it. Or is MS opting for a 500gb or so SSD instead of a more standardized rotary based hard drive? I might be wrong on that. If Im not though that seems insane that for all intents that if something as prone to breaking down as a hard drive equates to not just replacing the bad drive but replacing the entire system.

Yeah, sadly despite being a console gamer through all of the console generations, with all the garbage coming down the pipe I might just have to sit this generation out all together.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
search_rip said:
This is NOT a big deal, there's no way you can fill your 500GB HDD at launch just by instaling games and eventually they will add support.
RaNDM G said:
Not a problem at launch. Anyone will have a hard time filling up 500 gigs in the first year, unless they decide to upload their entire music library.
Exactly. I mean it's not like they've been constantly insisting that the Xbone is "not simply a games console, but the ultimate all-in-one home entertainment system [http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/xbox-one-the-ultimate-allinone-home-entertainment-system-microsoft-finally-unveils-its-latest-console-8626177.html]". What kind of idiot would want to have anything other than games stored on it?

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
I have run out of things to say. I mean how hard can it be to mount an external drive. In fact how hard can it be to allow users to upgrade a internal disk? I mean my PS2 with network adapter you can change the hard drive in that in about 20 .seconds and that was 9 years ago we are supposed to be moving forwards not backwards.

aceman67

Jan 14, 2010
This sounds oddly familiar....

Like I've been told this before...

Oh, thats right, Apple pulled this stunt with the 2nd Generation iPod Touch. When it launched, it had no Bluetooth support. They didn't even acknowledge the fact that the device even HAD bluetooth.

A year after the device was on the market, they released iOS 3, which 'unlocked' bluetooth, and you had to pay for the update.

Pay for an upgrade. To access the a device function on the item you shelled out a couple hundred dollars for.