Xbox ONE - "xbox on" voive command only available in 5 markets at launch

gyroscopeboy

Nov 27, 2010
http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/08/31/xbox-one-voice-commands-only-available-in-5-markets-at-launch [http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/08/31/xbox-one-voice-commands-only-available-in-5-markets-at-launch]
One of which ISN'T Australia.

This is turning into the mother of all failed launches.

Fuck you microsoft.

P.S Apologies if this was already posted..I did search for it.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Yeah, this is really strange. I don't understand what could possibly be the problem with voice activation in the other 5 countries that are going to have voice commands.

I mean, is it really hard to code the "Xbox On" command in different languages or for different accents?

Actually, it's probably due to some legal bullshit in those countries, since Australia is on the list.

Anthony Corrigan

Jul 28, 2011
Dirty Hipsters said:
Yeah, this is really strange. I don't understand what could possibly be the problem with voice activation in the other 5 countries that are going to have voice commands.

I mean, is it really hard to code the "Xbox On" command in different languages or for different accents?

Actually, it's probably due to some legal bullshit in those countries, since Australia is on the list.
the legal issues with it in Australia had nothing to do with voice activation, the privacy commissioner was concerned about a high res night vision camera and microphone which is sensitive enough to detect your heart rate watching you ALL THE TIME coupled with the always online requirement which meant it could potentially be remotely used and activated without the owners knowledge and because of that it would be classed as a survalance device and its uses must be laid out by Microsoft and the shop selling it BEFORE sale and cant be changed after that. In other words if there was a legal issue then its the kinect all together which would be banned, not voice activation

Siri is voice activation and there is no issue with that

exobook

Sep 28, 2011
so we can only make three languages work?

even if the Xbox sells this is going to go down as one of the greatest product launch disasters in history.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Oh no, you mean other countries are going to have to push a button on the controller, which they'll have in their hand ANYWAY.

Now I'm not a fanboy, and the Xbone stuff has been all sorts of a mess, but were IGN paid by Sony for this non story?

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
Alfador_VII said:
Oh no, you mean other countries are going to have to push a button on the controller, which they'll have in their hand ANYWAY.

Now I'm not a fanboy, and the Xbone stuff has been all sorts of a mess, but were IGN paid by Sony for this non story?
You have to remember that before they backtracked on everything this was their flagship feature. This was the keystone of all the crap they wanted people to like so they'd put up with the DRM. If they hadn't backtracked there would be no reason to buy a One at launch in 95% of the world.

Anthony Corrigan

Jul 28, 2011
Alfador_VII said:

Hang on, this is why they said that Kinect had to be always connected, this is why we were told it had to be ALWAYS on even if the machine was switched off and they can't even get this working

HydroFire

Aug 27, 2013
Crap :O I live in AUS and I was getting an xbox one.... Is the extra $50 worth it? (And yes xbox one is $50 more than ps4 in Australia.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
I can't see voice activation of the console not resulting in accidents.

"Honey!" "Yes, mom?" "Did you leave your Xbox on?" *Xbox starts up*

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
HydroFire said:
Crap :O I live in AUS and I was getting an xbox one.... Is the extra $50 worth it? (And yes xbox one is $50 more than ps4 in Australia.
You're the Xbox Fanboy around here (judging by your previous threads), you tell us.

(As far as I know) there is no legal issue at fault, so this is probably MS trying to release before the PS4 and failing to get everything working before launch.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Another missing feature at launch.

They're rushing another console out the door, that is clearly not ready to be released yet. Thanks to them rushing it, there'll probably be something akin to the RROD too, to complete this giant fuck up of a console.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
Oh look at that my little fenno country in which we speak totally unique language is not on the list. Well it seem that I need to get PS4 - for it is cheaper - and now apparently has more Functions that work.

So... When does MS come out of their delusions and realise this wasn't a good move at all.
YOU HAD 7 YEARS to generate new design. You fuck'd it up!

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Anthony Corrigan said:
Dirty Hipsters said:

the legal issues with it in Australia had nothing to do with voice activation, the privacy commissioner was concerned about a high res night vision camera and microphone which is sensitive enough to detect your heart rate watching you ALL THE TIME coupled with the always online requirement which meant it could potentially be remotely used and activated without the owners knowledge and because of that it would be classed as a survalance device and its uses must be laid out by Microsoft and the shop selling it BEFORE sale and cant be changed after that. In other words if there was a legal issue then its the kinect all together which would be banned, not voice activation

Australia is still getting the Xbox One, and it's getting it with kinect and voice features. The only thing that australia isn't getting is voice activation of the xbox. The only feature that they aren't getting is the ability to turn the xbox on by saying "Xbox On." So while I appreciate that Australia has privacy issues with the kinect, that can't possibly be the thing that's keeping them from having an "xbox on" command, unless the privacy laws were written in a really stupid way (which they very well may have been).

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
*facepalm*

How about hyping up a feature after you're sure it's going to work for most people, at least, for cryin' out loud.

Honestly, don't you dare fuck up my Nokia, Microsoft. I'll be very cross if you pull something like that on the mobile market.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Am I the only one getting the feeling that Microsoft was originally planning to take another year or two to make the Xbox One but decided to rush it when the PS4 was announced earlier than expected?

Anthony Corrigan

Jul 28, 2011
Dirty Hipsters said:
Anthony Corrigan said:
Dirty Hipsters said:

Australia is still getting the Xbox One, and it's getting it with kinect and voice features. The only thing that australia isn't getting is voice activation of the xbox. The only feature that they aren't getting is the ability to turn the xbox on by saying "Xbox On." So while I appreciate that Australia has privacy issues with the kinect, that can't possibly be the thing that's keeping them from having an "xbox on" command, unless the privacy laws were written in a really stupid way (which they very well may have been).
You claimed that because Australia was one of the countries which wasn't getting it that it must be due to legal issues, I was pointing out that if there were legal issues it would have nothing to do with the voice activation. Ie don't blame legislation or a whole country for Microsoft's stupidity

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Anthony Corrigan said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
Anthony Corrigan said:
Dirty Hipsters said:

You claimed that because Australia was one of the countries which wasn't getting it that it must be due to legal issues, I was pointing out that if there were legal issues it would have nothing to do with the voice activation. Ie don't blame legislation or a whole country for Microsoft's stupidity
Well it can't possibly be the actual implementation of it, considering it works, and it works in English. So unless they had some kind of problem with the xbox not recognizing totally borked Australian accents (which probably wouldn't be an issue considering it can understand borked British and American accents just fine), then it's probably a legal thing.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
I would love to set one to UK English so anyone who wanted to turn it on had to speak with an accent. I would never be able to use it because I suck at fake accents. I'd never get an xbone so I won't be able to try it out.

I wonder if the sales will show Microsoft that America is not the center of the world and maybe they should try appealing to others.