Xbox Originals Launching This June

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Xbox Originals Launching This June

Xbox Entertainment Studio's original television content will launch on Xbox and Microsoft products in June 2014.

Back when the Xbox One was <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124210-The-Baby-Has-A-Name-Xbox-One>first unveiled Microsoft made a point of detailing plans to bring original television series to the console that would exclusive to the Xbox community. Since then there have been occasional reveals here and there with promises of content launching within the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130549-Microsofts-Original-TV-Shows-Debuting-on-Xbox-LIVE-Early-Next-Year>first six months of 2014. A recent release from the company however, has shed more light on its Xbox Originals including when they'll start to launch.

Some of the programs showcased included known properties such as the Steven Spielberg Halo series and the gaming earlier this month (after <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131255-Update-Ridley-Scott-Wont-Produce-Halo-Movie>prior debunking) as well as the sci-fi series Humans, an adaptation of the Swedish robot-centric series Real Humans.

Some new "projects in development" included Deadlands,an alternate history "Weird West" show based on the pen and paper RPG of the same name and a "hybrid stop-motion" series named Extraordinary Believers. Alongside these the company is also developing a reality series called Fearless, a detective thriller based on the Warren Ellis novel Gun Machine and the snow-pocalypse series Winterworld which will adapt the IDW graphic novel series of the same name. Xbox Entertainment Studios is also backing JASH a "comedy collective founded by Sarah Silverman, Michael Cera and Tim and Eric Reggie Watts" that will feature "new and unsung" comedy talents.

Microsoft's original series will begin airing this June.

Source: <a href=http://news.xbox.com/2014/04/ent-xbox-originals-unveil>Xbox

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
You know, the title made me think MS just announced a Kinect-less version of the Xbone or something......... guess not.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
This only confirms my theory that the XBone is a glorified Netflix machine....

sirjeffofshort

Oct 2, 2012
For a second I got excited and assumed that they were going to start some kind of service or emulated backwards compatibility that would allow you to play your 360 and Xbox games on Xbox One... Now I'm back to not interested.

Rangarig

Dragon in disguise
Apr 19, 2010
And how soon before Microsoft patches the Netflix apps off the Xbox 361?

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
0takuMetalhead said:
This only confirms my theory that the XBone is a glorified Netflix machine....
It's a glorified Netflix machine that costs $500 and has that bloody spy tool that you can't remove from it...

OT: Well glad to see they spent their time wisely making tv shows instead of video games. Do they remember the whole damn point of making the console was for games right, not making it into a sports box/Netflix machine/whatever else they had in mind for it.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
sirjeffofshort said:
For a second I got excited and assumed that they were going to start some kind of service or emulated backwards compatibility that would allow you to play your 360 and Xbox games on Xbox One... Now I'm back to not interested.
Yeah thought the same thing....

Such a shame

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
sirjeffofshort said:
Same here. MS keeps killing my hopes of using their products again.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
WTF...

Microsoft: We're gonna be releasing some shows that we've been discussing since launch.
Escapist: WHAT? MICRO$OFT BEING STUPID AGAIN!

>_>

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
dalek sec said:
It's a glorified Netflix machine that costs $500 and has that bloody spy tool that you can't remove from it...

OT: Well glad to see they spent their time wisely making tv shows instead of video games. Do they remember the whole damn point of making the console was for games right, not making it into a sports box/Netflix machine/whatever else they had in mind for it.
You don't have to plug it in. But, you do have to PAY for it.

Oh come on. The press release last year was all about TV, TV, TV. They invested lot's of money into these shows. Why would they try to make more money by releasing them on more services than just the xbone's store. They're obviously the system sellers Titanfall was supposed to be./sarcasm
Rangarig said:
And how soon before Microsoft patches the Netflix apps off the Xbox 361?
Serious answer: They probably have a contract with Netflix and can't do too much to the app, for now. Otherwise, they'll wait for the ISPs taking advantage of fallen net neutrality in the States to affect Netflix even more and swoop in with their original content push a hurt Netflix out of the way.

Not-so-serious answer: They'll leave it on the xbone but throttle the connection and start offering discounts on their stuff to hook new viewers.

Citizen Graves

Jul 19, 2011
Programming exclusive to XBOne? Well, I better go buy a f**king XBone then because surely all this content will not find its way to Youtube or shady streaming sites and there will be no way for me to watch it otherwise.

Which reminds me, it's time I watched the newest episode of GoT right now!

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
and here i thought this was some sort of backwards compatibility program, you know vidya gaem stuff, but it seems microsoft isnt interested in any of that

sid

Jan 22, 2013
So nobody that doesn't have the xbone is allowed to watch the show, and people who do have an xbone have to deal with the console's gazillion prices and fees. So the only people who win here are the pirates, that's great

circularlogic88

Knower of Nothing
Oct 9, 2010
When I saw the headline, I thought this had something to do with indie games coming to the One. Little did I realize that games are only a small fraction of concerns for the Xbox division.

Apr 28, 2008
Josh12345 said:
You know, the title made me think MS just announced a Kinect-less version of the Xbone or something......... guess not.
I took it to mean they'd be putting original Xbox games on XBL or something. Like they did for a bit on the 360, then stopped.

*sigh*