Xbox's Phil Spencer: Games With Gold "Different" Than PS+

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
So far PS+ has been giving away good games and Xbox Gold has been giving away shit games. That's the difference Phil. Civ Rev is pretty good but it came out in like 2007.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
OK, make up your mind Microsoft. Is it all about the games or not? Because if it's all about the games, then PS+ wins so hard you should be in tears. $50 a year is NOTHING for the quality of stuff that you get.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Gorfias said:
I wonder if PS4 will make you have PS+ and buy the game new and have a code for it? I had to get Battlefield 3 new to get the code for multiplayer, which I wanted. So the game cost me $40 new rather than $20 used. If no, that $50 a year is all the better for it.
Um, I think that might be a glitch. Because when I downloaded BF3 with PS+, I had full access to the multiplayer.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
I've been with PS+ ever since it became available in Europe. I have so many games right now I can't even count them all, and each month more great new games are being added. And even if I don't play a game I still "buy" it, which means it is mine forever, as long as I have a PS+ subscription. I have games for my PS3, PSVita, /and/ PS4.
Should I let my subscription run out and then join up again later, I get access to all games I already had back, as well as any new stuff.

Yeah I'll take that over some bargain bin games on a single platform only. XBox: Pay More, Get Less.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Alex Co said:
Xbox's Phil Spencer: Games With Gold "Different" Than PS+
For reference, Games With Gold's offerings for March are Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution and Dungeon Defenders, while PlayStation Plus has Tomb Raider, Thomas Was Alone and Lone Survivor: Director's Cut for PS3
And there is the bigger problem with Games With Gold: they're not really good games. PS3's side of PS Plus has already offered 2 games from the GOTY 2013 rosters (including Bioshock Infinite). Meanwhile, Games With Gold just offers games that aren't very good nor well-known. The last game on GWG that was well-known was Dead Island in early February, and the last game that was both very good and well-known was Sleeping Dogs in early January.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
what they need to do is offer 360 games on games for gold for the Xbone. Think about it how many people would download mass effect one, fable, and halo if they were all released for download just to have some games to play on the XBone.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
They're totally different - it's got GOLD in the name so you know it's better! And it's got all this wibbly wobbly superior stuff.

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
The Lunatic said:
Alpha Maeko said:
It isn't free on the PC. They just put most of the responsibility on the users to create their own dedicated servers for online stuff.

Where as, on the consoles, an entire fleet of servers has to be maintained for a very specific purpose with millions of users wanting a streamlined online experience (regulated, controlled, online games with no hassle or server settings).
Nope, not quite.

Majority of console games are "Listening Servers" or "Peer to Peer".

"Listening Servers" puts the burden of "Hosting" a game on one specific player. This is found in Games like CoD or Halo, basically, this is why you get "Host Migration" when a specific person leaves.

"Peer to Peer" is a type of networking in which in player connects to another, in sorta a daisy chain.

Either way, beyond the store and profile data, there's extremely little hosted by Microsoft or Sony.

And even then, that which is game related and hosted on a server tends to be managed by the company which made the game.

This is why Capcom can shut down servers for specific games, likewise with other companies.

Although, please note, I may have got some of this wrong, I don't know the exact details of all the networking that goes on, but, this is a basic gist of what happens.
Yeah, you're probably right.

I must have been subconsciously thinking of Microsoft's plans for the "power of the cloud" where allot of background calculations are offered to developers.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Colt47 said:
If someone doesn't even play the free games I doubt they'd care if they lost them or not. PS+ is still the better service thanks to covering multiple devices.
Not only the covering multiple devices, but how many of us play a game once or twice maybe and then never touch it again? I know I do, and PS+ has been a great way to experience some of these games that I haven't bought and would only play once while spending about as much as the cost of a single game to do it. Hard to argue with that.

Getting to keep crappy old games isn't a feature Microsoft.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
oldtaku said:
They're totally different - it's got GOLD in the name so you know it's better! And it's got all this wibbly wobbly superior stuff.
Normally you'd be right in this, but you're forgetting that the PS+ logo is golden which means PS+ should really be called gold+ which means it's gold with a boost.

Honestly I have no experience with Games With Gold so I can't really say anything on the matter. I love PS+ though.

Ipsen

Jul 8, 2008
Genocidicles said:
UsefulPlayer 1 said:
But for the Playstation, do you have the ability to play all the free games whenever you want? Or is it a seasonal thing that is for a limited time? Or is the download free for a limited time and then you can download it again not matter if it is in season or not?
I think once a game is made free it stays so forever, but you can only add a certain amount of games to your collection once a month or something.
Not true, as far as I can tell.

It's more a matter of PS+ changing its lineup every month; you'll only have the ability to 'purchase for free' so many titles anyway, in the span of one month.

But yea, as long as a game is in your 'download list', you can download it at any point you want to; if you got it free with PS+, however, your PS+ will have to be active for you to play it. So, should you can take a break on the subscriptions, you won't be able to play the games on that break, but when you come back, all the games previously downloaded can be played again EDIT:(I did this for a while; only picking up 3-month PS+ when I saw an interesting game for free). Games bought with money, of course, you can download at any time, whether PS+ was active or not.

Raziel

Jul 20, 2013
Ipsen said:
Genocidicles said:
UsefulPlayer 1 said:
But for the Playstation, do you have the ability to play all the free games whenever you want? Or is it a seasonal thing that is for a limited time? Or is the download free for a limited time and then you can download it again not matter if it is in season or not?
I think once a game is made free it stays so forever, but you can only add a certain amount of games to your collection once a month or something.
Not true, as far as I can tell.

It's more a matter of PS+ changing its lineup every month; you'll only have the ability to 'purchase for free' so many titles anyway, in the span of one month.

But yea, as long as a game is in your 'download list', you can download it at any point you want to; if you got it free with PS+, however, your PS+ will have to be active for you to play it. So, should you can take a break on the subscriptions, you won't be able to play the games on that break, but when you come back, all the games previously downloaded can be played again EDIT:(I did this for a while; only picking up 3-month PS+ when I saw an interesting game for free). Games bought with money, of course, you can download at any time, whether PS+ was active or not.
Ps+ has a collection of games available. Every month new games are added to the collection and some are removed. So you only have a period of time to "buy" a game for $0. You don't even need to download it though. Once a game is "bought" its added to your download list. You can then download it any time, even after its no longer in the ps+ collection, so long as you are a current ps+ member when you try to download it. One of the less elegant design of ps+ is that there is no way to view your personal ps+ library except scrolling through your download list.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Korten12 said:
Gorfias said:
I wonder if PS4 will make you have PS+ and buy the game new and have a code for it? I had to get Battlefield 3 new to get the code for multiplayer, which I wanted. So the game cost me $40 new rather than $20 used. If no, that $50 a year is all the better for it.
Um, I think that might be a glitch. Because when I downloaded BF3 with PS+, I had full access to the multiplayer.
Good to know. Makes me think that in the future, they will not demand you have a code to play a particular game even if you bought something that is supposed to make it so you can play multiplayer.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Of course the games are different. PS+ gives you games you want to keep, but cant. Xbox Gold Gives you games that you can keep but wish you couldnt.