XCOM 2 Announced for Consoles

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
XCOM 2 Announced for Consoles

XCOM 2 heads to consoles this September.

Just over one year ago, XCOM 2's Creative Director Jake Solomon explained why XCOM 2 was going to be PC exclusive [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141052-XCOM-2-Had-to-be-PC-Exclusive-Firaxis].

"Our expertise here is PC. That's our home, and that's where we're really comfortable," he said at the time, adding, "When we have our meetings, when we talk about stuff, we only talk about PC. We talk about 'What is the experience like on PC? What does the mouse feel like in this experience?'"

Lucky for console gamers, that didn't last long. 2K announced today that Firaxis' XCOM 2 will be released on Xbox One and PlayStation 4 after all. The game will hit PS4 and Xbox One on September 6 in North America and September 9 in Europe.

XCOM 2 released to rave reviews, earning 4.5 out of 5 stars here at The Escapist [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/15363-XCOM-2-Review#&gid=gallery_5563&pid=1], with our review reading, in part: "XCOM 2 improves on its predecessor in almost every way, and proudly stands as one of the most deeply satisfying action-strategy games currently available."

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Personally I think it's great that this game will be available for everyone, so don't get me wrong. I snickered when I read the news. Didn't the developers proudly utter something like 'PC only, because we can do things there that don't work on consoles' and 'It feels right on PCs only'?

Dear 2K, you had your chance, but now I already have a copy on PC for free. If you had simply said that a PS4 version would come later, I would have waited and thrown money at you for the console version.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Fuck yeah! This game deserves to be available on as many platforms as possible!

Mar 30, 2010
Finally. XCom was one of the very few strategy games to work well on consoles, so this is welcome news indeed.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Good, I was waiting on a console port the moment they announced it would only be on PC. I find the dev's quote all the more funny now.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Yes! My filthy peasant arse can finally lament the timed levels whilst simultaneously enjoying the game! Loved the first and its' expansion. Are Firaxis handling the ports though?

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Would have been interested had it been on WiiU since Touch Screen controls would make sense.

Will there be better controller support for the PC release at least?

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Huh, I was a tad bitter about it not appearing on console, then I've more or less forgotten it even existed, and now it's coming to consoles? I mean, I'll buy it, but it feels like a bit of an anti-climax.

Plus, if what I've heard's true about the increased focus on timed missions, I may end up still loving XCOM:EW over 2, given one of the things I most enjoyed about EW was just how much time you could devote to movement and strategy. I don't like being rushed in a turn-based game.

Dreph

Jun 27, 2015
How could they port a game over to a console that I don't use! I mean honestly who wants to allow more people to play this awesome game. They should just keep it a PC exclusive, because in producing a console they actively don't harm me or an PC users and allow others into the community. This cannot stand!

Seriously though good on 2k getting more people to play this is only good. Though I would be interested to see if the console version has all the same features, because Jake Solomon was pretty adamant that they couldn't make the game for consoles.

Nov 28, 2007
Honestly, I feel this is how ports should be done. The company should focus completely on whatever system they feel most comfortable on, and only after the game is finished should they look at how to port it. Simultaneous ports just ends up with someone getting shafted, whether it be underpowered on the PC so it can work on consoles, or have content hacked out crazily to get it to console.

Edit: Also, yay. My PC can technically handle XCom 2, but not well, and it has FPS dips like crazy. I still had fun despite that (and despite the FUCKING Vipers), but it should be more stable on consoles.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
BloatedGuppy said:
Welcome news. Tippy should be in here wetting himself with excitement soon.
Luckily I read this news near a bathroom so it's only a little mess.

Yah! Tippy2k2s Army [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Tippy2k2-s-XCOM-Army-Let-s-Play] shall rise again! You poor bastards...

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
Xerosch said:
Personally I think it's great that this game will be available for everyone, so don't get me wrong. I snickered when I read the news. Didn't the developers proudly utter something like 'PC only, because we can do things there that don't work on consoles' and 'It feels right on PCs only'?
Ish, it was more a by concentrating on the PC only for now it removes the compromises that come with developing for both PCs and consoles. Now while these are often oversold especially on performance issues that a few PC versions of games have suffered in areas like UI because of multi-platforming is tricky to argue against.

Jan 19, 2016
I don't really know why you would want to play this type of game with a controller, but whatever. People better hope that they do a good job on the port, because the PC version chugs even on beefy hardware.

FillerDmon

Jun 6, 2014
Xerosch said:
Dear 2K, you had your chance, but now I already have a copy on PC for free. If you had simply said that a PS4 version would come later, I would have waited and thrown money at you for the console version.
If you don't mind me asking, how on earth did you manage to snag a copy for free? Isn't it a $60 purchase, not counting DLC?

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
FillerDmon said:
Xerosch said:
If you don't mind me asking, how on earth did you manage to snag a copy for free? Isn't it a $60 purchase, not counting DLC?
I was was somewhat lucky. A friend of mine got two Steam codes of which he gave me one. It was not a special promotion or loophole.