XCOM 2 Announced for Consoles

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Nice! This will save me a few quid on getting an upgrade for my current laptop.
(Yes, I'm one of those terrible people who don't bother getting desktop rigs. I travel a lot, alright? >.<)

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Bilious Green said:
I don't really know why you would want to play this type of game with a controller, but whatever. People better hope that they do a good job on the port, because the PC version chugs even on beefy hardware.
Yeah, I'm kind of skeptical of it when I couldn't even get through the PC version between glitches and outright impatience with laggy visuals and ridiculous load times. I mean, ideally the standard setup on the console will let them clear up some issues, but the game never seemed like it was high end enough to warrant the chugging it was doing on PC.

FillerDmon

Jun 6, 2014
Xerosch said:
I was was somewhat lucky. A friend of mine got two Steam codes of which he gave me one. It was not a special promotion or loophole.
You are a lucky devil! Hopefully that luck held out in game. :p

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Dr. McD said:
tippy2k2 said:
BloatedGuppy said:
Welcome news. Tippy should be in here wetting himself with excitement soon.
Luckily I read this news near a bathroom so it's only a little mess.

Yah! Tippy2k2s Army [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Tippy2k2-s-XCOM-Army-Let-s-Play] shall rise again! You poor bastards...
Let me know when you start recruitment. I hope they port over some mods. ADVENT armour (which gives you customizable ADVENT armour, not just helmets), Spart's Kitbashes (because it comes with an assault rifle I like, just aesthetically), Cap'n'Bubs Accessory Pack (and excellent hat mod), the Katana Pack (adds some melee weapons) and Long War Studios (mainly the enemies) mods at least.
I'm excited for it (even though I know nothing about it because I went into XCOM blind and that made everyone getting murdered so much more fun).

If you are interested, I'd just join the group since I don't really advertise it at all outside the group unless the thread is specifically about XCOM like this one (so likely I won't remember when the time comes to let you know since I don't tell anyone). Generally, I just announce in the group when a new round will be starting.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Its nice when everyone can play your games, but a bit ironic coming from them given that they said they wont be doing that when they launched.

Xerosch said:
Dear 2K, you had your chance, but now I already have a copy on PC for free. If you had simply said that a PS4 version would come later, I would have waited and thrown money at you for the console version.
But why would you wait longer for an inferior version?

Dreph said:
How could they port a game over to a console that I don't use! I mean honestly who wants to allow more people to play this awesome game. They should just keep it a PC exclusive, because in producing a console they actively don't harm me or an PC users and allow others into the community. This cannot stand!
except that... noone has said it in this thread.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Strazdas said:
Well, personally, I don't care if its an inferior version. My PC is parked in a tight space that's not very confortable to sit in for a long time, whereas my consoles are stationed opposite of a comfy couch. That's why I limit my PC gaming to exclusives.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Kibeth41 said:
Xerosch said:
Strazdas said:
Well, personally, I don't care if its an inferior version. My PC is parked in a tight space that's not very confortable to sit in for a long time, whereas my consoles are stationed opposite of a comfy couch. That's why I limit my PC gaming to exclusives.
I mean... But if they announced it on console, you would have denied the free version? Why? Why would you not just accept the free copy, and then buy it on console later on if you wanted comfort?

I really don't see how their lack of announcement impacts your personal purchase.
No, no... Having a free copy is perfectly fine and I wouldn't have denied the chance for sure. But if I had a choice if I'd get the game for PC or PS4, I would choose the console version. I just mentioned the free version because instead of getting my money for the PS4 version 2K doesn't get anything because I got the free copy for PC and won't be buying XCOM 2 again. Sorry, this wasn't clear enough because I'm not a native speaker.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Oh, well nifty. I've never gotten into Xcom but from what I've heard it is both a really fun game and incredibly frustrating and stressful. Have Fun.

About it's supposed exclusivity though, no one in this thread has expressed any issue with it, and I don't really understand why anyone would. I play on PC but a good game deserves to be played. I've always felt like there should be no exclusivity and people should just choose the platform they like. In our current climate though, I do appreciate a developer who commits to focusing on the PC version first and foremost.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Xerosch said:
Strazdas said:
Sound like a problem that could be solved simply by getting a comfortable PC chair then. Ever since i got mine i vastly prefer it to a couch.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Strazdas said:
Sound like a problem that could be solved simply by getting a comfortable PC chair then. Ever since i got mine i vastly prefer it to a couch.
Nah, unfortunately not. My flat isn't very big, so I decided for a couch/TV combo for social stuff and had to cram the PC and the desk it's on into a tight space between two shelves. They are room dividers, so they are not standing against the wall.

Long story short: It's not the chair, but the whole PC-desk-complex. Hmm... perhaps the Steam Link could help me with this?

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Xerosch said:
Strazdas said:
Nah, unfortunately not. My flat isn't very big, so I decided for a couch/TV combo for social stuff and had to cram the PC and the desk it's on into a tight space between two shelves. They are room dividers, so they are not standing against the wall.

Long story short: It's not the chair, but the whole PC-desk-complex. Hmm... perhaps the Steam Link could help me with this?
You could just run a HDMI cable from PC to your TV and use a wireless controller/mouse and play on your PC while sitting on your couch then :) Of course that does have the downside of requiring the cable to be connected. Steam Link and similar streaming should work as well, but they are streaming and therefore input lag will invevitably exists (though if you are using wireless controllers you have input lag already anyway).

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Xerosch said:
Strazdas said:

Depending on how far away you could probably use a long HDMI cable and then use a controller from the couch, but that can be a hassle. Use your console if that's what's most comfortable and just ignore those who refuse to reason with preferences. I generally prefer PC myself, but I don't see a reason to argue with anyone over it. Consoles are neat too.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
JUMBO PALACE said:
Oh, well nifty. I've never gotten into Xcom but from what I've heard it is both a really fun game and incredibly frustrating and stressful. Have Fun.

About it's supposed exclusivity though, no one in this thread has expressed any issue with it, and I don't really understand why anyone would. I play on PC but a good game deserves to be played.
Yeah no gamer worth their salt should bemoan non exclusivity. I know people want to defend their purchase, but seriously don't get it when people get pissy about something being ported later on. I think the worst example has to be people who think FF13 ended up bad because it wasn't a PS3 exclusive.....oh dear.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Xerosch said:
Strazdas said:

I can vouch for the steam link. It's fucking amazing. Use it all the time, the streaming works perfectly while playing. Of course an HDMI cable would work better/cheaper from Amazon most likely, but depends on exactly how your flat is laid out.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Good to hear now that they've worked most of the bugs out. Still though, the camera can be shocking at times and I still get grabbed through walls by Vipers. But the mods in the Steam Workshop make the game about 10x better.