XCOM 2 Delayed

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
XCOM 2 Delayed

XCOM 2 developer Firaxis asks fans for just a little more time to make the game the best it can be.

When XCOM 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140987-XCOM-2-PC-Exclusive-Launches-November-2015-From-Firaxis-And-2K-Games] was announced as a PC exclusive back in June, fans were particularly psyched about the fact that it would only be a few short months before it was in their hands. Unfortunately, developer Firaxis may have jumped the gun on its November release date, and today has announced that the game is being pushed back to February 5, 2016.

"We want to give you an update on the release date for XCOM 2," wrote the developer in an official news post [http://xcom.com/news/en/xcom-2-now-coming-to-pc-worldwide-on-february-5-2016]. "We've set a high bar for the sequel and the entire team has been working hard to make sure we deliver a great follow-up to Enemy Unknown. We just need a little more time to make it the best possible game."

"With XCOM 2, we want to have more depth, more replayability, and more investment in your soldiers and this extension will give us the time we need to deliver on our promise to you."

Obviously game delays are never good news, but Firaxis seems to know what they are doing (both Enemy Unknown and Enemy Within were absolutely fantastic), so it's something most fans are willing to suck up.

I wonder if the delay has anything to do with the fact that another title PC gamers have been long awaiting - Fallout 4 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/fallout%204?os=%20fallout%204] - is also releasing in November...

Source: Firaxis [http://xcom.com/news/en/xcom-2-now-coming-to-pc-worldwide-on-february-5-2016]

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Wanted it for Christmas, guess I'm getting it for my birthday (Feb 13th), as sad as I am I have faith that it's for a good reason and that the game will be one of the best games of the year.

Ugicywapih

May 15, 2014
XCom and Fallout (or at least Fallout Scrolls) don't really compete for the same market - one is a strategy with focus on tactical engagements in a turn based battlefield with grid overlay, in an alien-controlled dystopia, whereas the most recent Fallout will apparently end up as a shooter with somewhat above average RPG element saturation and possibly (eyeroll) Minecraft-inspired construction and crafting, in a postapo world, where, slavery notwithstanding, personal freedom is one of the few things in ample supply. Many folks would be willing to go for both, of course, but I don't feel like there's much overlap, thematically.

Chaosian

Mar 26, 2011
"A rushed game is forever bad, but a delayed game is eventually good."

I think both Firaxis and it's fans can survive a few more months if it means the end result is a better one. Shipping next to another big title though, no matter what it is, probably isn't the wisest decision though.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I think PC gamers are going to see more and more delays because of the Steam refund policy. They won't release it until it is in a playable state at launch.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
That's good news - it means that they want to make sure that it's as good as it can be on release.
There are plenty of other games to play in the meantime.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
Chaosian said:
"A rushed game is forever bad, but a delayed game is eventually good."
I was going to say this.

A little bit disappointed about a delay, but if it means I get a better end product I'm not going to be too bothered about a slight delay.

After getting a lot of my stuff via Kickstarter these days I'm used to delayed dates.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Ah poopy... to bad cant help it.

They did an excellent job bringing xcom into todays gaming.. they have more then enough goodwill garnered for a delay, especialy if it means less bugs and less crashes.

But then it stands to reason what more then polish can you apply in a couple of months? Would ofcourse be awesome if they added more content to the base product.

Just hope they DONT use the time to whip up some day 1 dlc or pre order bonus shenanigans....

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Thank you 2K, now I don't have to feel bad about neglecting XCOM for Fallout.
Please consult calendars in the future, so we don't have a repeat of that whole Mass Effect 2/No More Heroes 2 disaster.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Good.
Xcom was just testing the waters, now they have to ramp it up after all.
Nobody will remember the 3 month delay but everyone will remember a rushed game.

Ryan Minns

Mar 29, 2011
This sucks only as much as I had decided it takes priority over Fallout 4 but I still have Fallout 4 so it's not so bad.

B5Alpha

Oct 4, 2012
Interesting, not a lot of games come out in February, so at least this guarantees Yahtzee will review the game, especially since he actually seemed to enjoy the first one.

Rituro

Critwrencha
Sep 18, 2008
Good. Continue making quality X-COM games, Firaxis. Anyone who would pretend to the Gollop throne had better bring their A-game. You're 2-for-2 so far - let's see if you can make it a treble...

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
I will quite happily wait for the new release myself. Three months of extra polish is exactly what the first game needed as well, oh no it wasn't bad but the extra polish would have put it cleanly into the top 20 games of all time.

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
In this of age of buggy, rushed releases, I think a delay is actually a good thing.

I wish I had more to say on the subject, but... nope--this is a good thing.

Chefsbrian

Jun 25, 2012
My GPA has to thank Firaxis for this delay... As much as I love Xcom, and Fallout, and want to enjoy them together... I need to bloody pass my classes.

I trust that Firaxis has the best in mind when it comes to this delay, and that we'll see an excellent game out the door. They've shown they know what to do.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
I wonder if the delay has anything to do with the fact that another title PC gamers have been long awaiting - Fallout 4 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/fallout%204?os=%20fallout%204] - is also releasing in November...
I don't know if it was intentional, but my budgeting for the next year certainly got easier...

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
i saw the headline and freaked had to calm down and remember that while delays are annoying games are never delayed foolishly and i will get something better to compensate for the wait