XCOM: Enemy Unknown Review

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
XCOM: Enemy Unknown Review

Firaxis have managed to pull off a splendid modern remake.

Read Full Article

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Wait, this is out already?

Curse you Aussie release dates, curse you!

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
Zhukov said:

My sentiments exactly. Gonna have to try to avoid spoilers until the 12th from now on. Stupid, arbitrary 'America gets the game first' system.

karamazovnew

Apr 4, 2011
Woohoo, can't wait. I'm glad to see Sid Meier back doing something else than Civ games. I've been a huge fan of his since his days at Microprose (about 60% of my game box collection still bears their logo, I'm a hipster, I know). I loved XCOM back in my 486 days and I'll have a ton of fun playing this one. Thanks Sid!

KillerRabbit

Jan 3, 2009
There are ways for rest of the world to unlock the game on steam as same day as the US players gets their game... just browse around on reddit.com/r/xcom and you might find some solutions to this 'problem' ;)

Theotherguy

Mar 15, 2011
Solid review, and it's just like I thought I need to buy two games now, X-Com and Dishonored. My wallet doesn't seem happy.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Both Dishonored AND XCOM are getting good reviews? "sigh" my poor poor wallet.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
I´m looking forward to playing this game. My only gripe is the visual design and music, i think the marines and alien designs are awfully boring and uninspired, and the music seems to be your standard booming orchestral score. The problem is that these two things were on the reasons that the first Xcom game stayed with me for so long. I love the design, art style and soundtrack, it saddens me that they had to make everything so bland this time around. But stille seems like it will be a lot of fun, i like the gameplay decisions, seems to be an improvement over the original in a lot of ways.

Tucker154

Jul 20, 2009
Bernzz said:
Zhukov said:

My sentiments exactly. Gonna have to try to avoid spoilers until the 12th from now on. Stupid, arbitrary 'America gets the game first' system.
Both this and Dishonored are actually out on the 9th in North America, so I just think they got early copies for review. So, at least for me, just one more day, and my fall gaming collection will be complete...

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Zhukov said:

They got a pre-release review copy? It's not out till the 9th tomorrow at the earliest and the 12th in full swing.

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
Not my normal type of game, but this one looks REALLY interesting! I never played the original, but I'd like to try this out and see how it is.

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
Tucker154 said:
Bernzz said:
Zhukov said:

Both this and Dishonored are actually out on the 9th in North America, so I just think they got early copies for review. So, at least for me, just one more day, and my fall gaming collection will be complete...
Well yes, I knew this. I was more bitching about the fact that I have to wait an extra three days because I had the nerve to be born somewhere apart from America, that's all.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Bernzz said:
Well yes, I knew this. I was more bitching about the fact that I have to wait an extra three days because I had the nerve to be born somewhere apart from America, that's all.
Sometimes the reverse occurs, and America gets it last or much later (*glares at several Nintendo properties*)

Local laws, trade laws and regulations differ according to region, though these normally don't inhibit a multi-region release much.

Though sometimes the publisher staggers their releases in regions so that if something breaks (DRM, gamebreaking glitch, a hurricane annihilates their servers, etc), they can aren't immediately overwhelmed by everyone else calling in.

Still, it kind of sucks when you're last in line. :\
Though you do get the marginal benefit of some immediate word of mouth (assuming you can speak the language of whoever got the game first).

Tahaneira

Social Justice Rogue
Feb 1, 2011
Sounds pretty awesome! However, I have a couple of questions:

Does it have cheats? And if not, does it support mods?

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Tahaneira said:
Sounds pretty awesome! However, I have a couple of questions:

Does it have cheats? And if not, does it support mods?
Well considering how easy the game can on Normal, the Easier difficulty setting might as well be cheating.

The last word from Firaxis was that they would be adding mod support for the PC, but it wasn't a launch push.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
2 questions
1.Can you sell stuff to governments, PMCs and organized criminal organizations?
2.Is laser cannon mass production still a viable business solution?

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
blackrave said:
2 questions
1. Yes, there is a "Grey Market" that will buy alien artifacts, technology and corpses. You will also occasionally get requests from nations for specific manufactured items or alien stuff, at a nice bonus value if you can spare them. However, you can't sell everything at any time though. Most of your researched items, like say laser weapons, can't just be sold to the Grey Market.

2. See above, but no.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Slycne said:
blackrave said:
2 questions
1. Yes, there is a "Grey Market" that will buy alien artifacts, technology and corpses to. You will also occasionally get requests from nations for specific manufactured good or items, generally at a greater value. However, you can't sell everything at any time though. Most of your researched items, like say laser weapons, can't just be sold to the Grey Market.

2. See above, but no.
So selling alien corpses to McDonalds is not an option anymore?
That's sad :(

Also, how humanity can fight alien invasion without every person being armed with laser cannon?

Murmillos

Silly Deerthing
Feb 13, 2011
That seems to be the only downside of Xcom (other then those who scoff that its not a "pure" graphics update of X-COM), is the maps.

They really should should have figured out how to make generated maps..