XCOM: Enemy Within Review

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005

Slaughtering aliens, one frag grenade at a time.

Read Full Article

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Greg Tito said:

Slaughtering aliens, one frag grenade at a time.

Read Full Article
Sounds like everything I have wanted in an expansion to this game :D

A question though Mr Tito: Am I remembering correctly that we get a base defense mission? And is the base defense mission a one off, or can they end up happening multiple times throughout a game? Because if I recall correctly, we are getting base defense in this one, where you use a mix of rookies and veteran soldier under your command.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
I still haven?t finished enemy unknown because I accidentally deleted my saves, despite that I really liked the game and most of the new additions looked great.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
chozo_hybrid said:
A question though Mr Tito: Am I remembering correctly that we get a base defense mission? And is the base defense mission a one off, or can they end up happening multiple times throughout a game? Because if I recall correctly, we are getting base defense in this one, where you use a mix of rookies and veteran soldier under your command.
I think it is confirmed to be a one-time story-mission. (Made pretty obvious due the following: Unique codename rather , introsequence and outro sequence mentioning "trying to figure out how that happened")

Reduced_Silver

Mar 4, 2011
This is so totally gaming crack. You can forsee your initial high, only for the later comedown to be a real bummer.

I suspect that Impossible will be the new classic to be honest. I?m pretty sure I?ll start with impossible. The game drops off a difficulty cliff if you can get enough satellites up, early. I watched Totalbiscuit play this a few weeks ago, inexplicably, he was playing on normal, but it was a total cake-walk.

Kyrdra

May 19, 2013
Reduced_Silver said:
This is so totally gaming crack. You can forsee your initial high, only for the later comedown to be a real bummer.

I suspect that Impossible will be the new classic to be honest. I?m pretty sure I?ll start with impossible. The game drops off a difficulty cliff if you can get enough satellites up, early. I watched Totalbiscuit play this a few weeks ago, inexplicably, he was playing on normal, but it was a total cake-walk.
Normal is always a total cakewalk. The difference between normal and classic is really high. I menaged to fuck up 2 classic games after I got lulled in by my first normal playthrough

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
i will still get this but i honestly prefer my games to get be hard at the end, specially when i defend the earth from an alien invasion and it would be much more fitting to feel like a last effort to stop the invaders instead of the last step in steamrolling them.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
If people say that Enemy Unknown got easy towards the end too, I guess I just suck enough at the game to keep this hard for me. Aw well I'm sure I'll still have fun with it.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
teebeeohh said:
i will still get this but i honestly prefer my games to get be hard at the end, specially when i defend the earth from an alien invasion and it would be much more fitting to feel like a last effort to stop the invaders instead of the last step in steamrolling them.
While I too prefer it if games are difficult the whole way through, with XCOM it makes sense that it would start to get easy near the end. The player is spending the entire game outmatched, outnumbered, and outgunned by a vastly superior force both numerically and technologically. Of course it would be hard most of the way through, but as the game goes on the gap in both areas would get smaller and smaller, and thus much easier. What's needed I think is a sort of slow constant upgrading of the aliens and their tech in the game, something to show they're advancing their technology at the same time if not the same rate you are.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
erttheking said:
If people say that Enemy Unknown got easy towards the end too, I guess I just suck enough at the game to keep this hard for me. Aw well I'm sure I'll still have fun with it.
What was it in the final mission? Two sectopods in a restrictive environment? Yeah, I guess I suck too. That one was a nail-biter. I don't think I had to take that many tries at it though, interestingly enough. Was probably saving fairly often, if not save-scumming. And this was on normal, I've not got too far on classic ironman, yet.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Pink Gregory said:
erttheking said:
What was it in the final mission? Two sectopods in a restrictive environment? Yeah, I guess I suck too. That one was a nail-biter. I don't think I had to take that many tries at it though, interestingly enough. Was probably saving fairly often, if not save-scumming. And this was on normal, I've not got too far on classic ironman, yet.
Yeah, I'm playing through ironman classic now (My third or fourth try I think) and an Outsider just oneshotted my only Lieutenant. Apparently I wasn't supposed to do that, but I guess I'm just not as "leet" as some other people.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
erttheking said:
Pink Gregory said:
erttheking said:
Yeah, I'm playing through ironman classic now (My third or fourth try I think) and an Outsider just oneshotted my only Lieutenant. Apparently I wasn't supposed to do that, but I guess I'm just not as "leet" as some other people.
I've been playing OpenXcom (open source X-Com project thing) recently. It's always the high ranks that die first. Because I tend to take risks with the more experienced (ie better) soldier. Because me am clever.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Pink Gregory said:
erttheking said:
I usually had 1 or 2 heavies in my squads. Sectopods didn't really stand up well to upgraded rocket HEAT shredders. That plus squadsight snipers just demolished them. I had more issues with those grenade-happy muton swarms.

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
Reduced_Silver said:
I watched Totalbiscuit play this a few weeks ago, inexplicably, he was playing on normal, but it was a total cake-walk.
Actually, he said during the video that the footage we'd be watching would be him playing on Classic X3

OT: November 15th cannot be here fast enough goddammit X3

chozo_hybrid

Jul 15, 2009
Bindal said:
chozo_hybrid said:
I think it is confirmed to be a one-time story-mission. (Made pretty obvious due the following: Unique codename rather , introsequence and outro sequence mentioning "trying to figure out how that happened")
Ah, bummer. I was hoping for the possibility of it happening more then once depending one things you do. But still, one is better then none and it shows they listened to fans about it too.

Unit72

May 5, 2010
chozo_hybrid said:
Bindal said:
chozo_hybrid said:
Ah, bummer. I was hoping for the possibility of it happening more then once depending one things you do. But still, one is better then none and it shows they listened to fans about it too.
Ive asked in a different thread but got no definitive answer. Whats the big deal with base defense? Why do you care? Its just another "defeat all the aliens on this map" mission only the backdrop is that of your base. Its a longer mission and they mix it up by mixing cadets and your regulars. This doesn't seem very exciting. Why is base defense such a big deal with people?

Don't get me wrong though I preordered already and im looking forward to playing. I just don't get the big deal about base defense. Seems like any other mission we have done tons of times before.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Unit72 said:
Ive asked in a different thread but got no definitive answer. Whats the big deal with base defense? Why do you care? Its just another "defeat all the aliens on this map" mission only the backdrop is that of your base. Its a longer mission and they mix it up by mixing cadets and your regulars. This doesn't seem very exciting. Why is base defense such a big deal with people?

Don't get me wrong though I preordered already and im looking forward to playing. I just don't get the big deal about base defense. Seems like any other mission we have done tons of times before.
Basically, the reason Base Defense is important to some people is because it was a constant looming threat in the original games. The aliens could locate one of your bases if you didn't have a mind shield up around it, and once they did, they'd invade it. It added an extra layer of strategy to the game because you had to manage all of your bases and ensure they had a sufficient garrison to protect your assets there while still being able to respond to alien attacks.

In nuXCOM, it won't, can't really, add the same kind of depth though, because you're limited to only one base, so it is kinda pointless, like you say.

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
Kyrdra said:
Normal is always a total cakewalk. The difference between normal and classic is really high. I menaged to fuck up 2 classic games after I got lulled in by my first normal playthrough
Normal AI is dumb as a shoe.
Harder ones get stat bonuses on top of being smarter.

Part of the reason I consider the original to be only playable when modded: give me that hard AI, without the cheating stats.

I give it two days post-release tops before someone fixes the 'endgame slog'.

chozo_hybrid

Jul 15, 2009
Unit72 said:

A different setting for your missions, one where you can't retreat. It shows that you not only stop the alien threat by going after them, but that there's consequence back at base for attacking them as well, you can be attacked where you least expect it. I just like the idea of it, I don't see it as pointless :D But that's just me, I like the whole role play aspect of it "Oh shit, they're at my base!" would be the reaction I give, would make the mission feel more tense to me. How does that do for an answer, hope it made sense :D I get what you mean, but I enjoy the idea behind it.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Bindal said:
chozo_hybrid said:
Confirmed. It is a one-time story mission kind of like the council missions where you fight off waves of aliens in your base. Other than it happens, and it's a change of pace to have rookies mixed with veterans, there's not really much else to say about it. You can't change when it occurs and it IS just another kill all the aliens mission. I kind of wish there was more to it than that.

Greg