XCOM: Enemy Within Standalone Expansion Changes and Additions

Klaflefalumpf

Oct 3, 2010
The random resource is a bit of a pain, it would make more sense to find it either from killing aliens and getting to their corpses and extracting it before it expires or simply taking them alive and extracting it back at base.

EDIT: Not to mention every squad is going to have a soldier called "Adam Jenson" on it.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
I'm not as fond of the new xcom as others might be but i gotta say, these are some sweet additions that might just make me reinstall the game and give it another playthrough.
Classes building in particular was boring in vanilla so more options here are welcome.

Mecha soldiers make everything better.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
So they finally put some meat on the bare, bare bones that enemy unknown was.
Will they make the ability to change the colors of your dudes a to be paid for dlc again?

Bruce

Jun 15, 2013
I'd just be happy to be facing rival human factions. That was one of the things that was really missing from the Slingshot DLC - wouldn't it have been cool to face Yakuza with their own takes on alien tech?

skibadaa

Jun 13, 2009
Yaaaay! New XCOM. Booooooo! Its not terror from the deep :(
REMAKE TERROR FROM THE DEEP DAMNIT!!! It was the bestest xcoms. At the very least I want a Cruise Liner terror mission.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Since when has Escapist done "From the Web"?

OT:
Seems interesting. Hopefully it'll mix things up some more.

gyrobot_v1legacy

Apr 30, 2009
erttheking said:
Really feels like there's a transhumanism theme going on here. It was in the original game with the Psi powers, but with genetic modification and cybernetic implants it looks like it's being thrust into the spotlight. I kinda feel like Dr. Chen really isn't going to like this, and it's understandable why. Would Humanity really be ready for technology that advanced? Here's hoping those themes get explored...still want giant robots stepping on Sectoids though. HA! RUN LITTLE BUGGERS!
Stop making us contemplate the meaning of our life through our nipples. I remember the Original XCOM's goals, wipe out alien threat probing our cattle/humans but this game is making us wonder what our enemy's motives our when back then it was simple: Turn us into slaves.

But hope we get to fight cult of Sirius style of enemies, something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJu2sDVzan4

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Stephen Sossna said:
The Problem with current XCom is that it is hard until about mid-campaign, and then gets easier. Barring stupid decisions, a plasma-equipped Psi-Soldier can easily deal with anything even on impossible. The difficulties change how hard the game starts out, and at which point the difficulty begins to ease up, but it always gets easier as you go.
To be honest, I don't think that's so bad.

I kind of like that "lurch" when you start out and everything is going to shit and there's simply too much to do, and then you slowly start to feel like you have more and more control. Yeah, it's the complete opposite of how a game is meant to work, but it does make you feel like you're actually turning the tide rather than just slowing down the unstoppable alien juggernaut. Both have their merits I guess, the first two X-Com games were very much an escalation and it worked, but it did sometimes feel like you weren't having much of an impact.

GabeZhul said:
The MECs and genetic enhancements and whatnot sound great, but my biggest gripe with Enemy Unknown was the two weapon tiers where lasers were downright skippable with just a little forethought. I want to see more tiers, like say; traditional -> railguns -> lasers -> plasma -> quantum (or gluon, or unicorn fart or whatever)
The thing is, the campaign isn't really that long, and you shouldn't really be out-teching the aliens because you're reverse engineering and building on their technology.

That said, Firaxis did acknowledge that they kind of dropped the ball in making lasers straight-up inferior to plasma, particularly relative to the effort and materials needed to produce them.

Personally, I think the Tier 0 (projectile) weapons should just be terrible (as they are), the Tier 1 (laser) weapons should do mediocre but reliable damage with high accuracy, while Tier 2 weapons (plasma, alloy) should have the potential for massive damage but a much higher possible range.

That way, you'd want to give your recruits and less skilled squad members lasers so they could actually hit stuff and finish off weak or badly wounded enemies to gain experience, while your more experienced squad members use plasma/alloy to inflict high damage on big enemies.

The other thing that's really missing is a tier 1 missile launcher upgrade. The blaster launcher is pretty much the ultimate weapon, but it arrives so late in the game as to probably not have much effect.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
gyrobot said:
But hope we get to fight cult of Sirius style of enemies, something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJu2sDVzan4
Ah, the Cult of Sirius.

I remember raiding them many a time to steal their drugs and sell them on the open market.

Yes, more of this please!

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
evilthecat said:
gyrobot said:
Ah, the Cult of Sirius.

I remember raiding them many a time to steal their drugs and sell them on the open market.

Yes, more of this please!
Well, given that the announcement trailer had this [https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1237275_660151117342389_1118804672_o.jpg] symbol briefly flash on screen and the Council Representative mentions "another force at work against us", I'd say the odds are good.