XCOM: Enemy Within Video Lets You Punch Sectoids With Style

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
XCOM: Enemy Within Video Lets You Punch Sectoids With Style

Bob, does this red shirt clash with my hair? Never mind.

Were you wondering what game play XCOM: Enemy Within might offer your jaded palate, after so many Sectoid all-you-can-eat buffets? Why not chow down on this trailer; it's a bit scripted, but entertaining for all that. I still don't know why anyone would be crazy enough to give a sniper anything other than Squadsight at Corporal rank, but with those frog-jumping legs it isn't so much of a concern. Besides, if you've ever thought it'd be great fun to punch a Sectoid off a very tall thing, today you get your wish. By proxy, but that wish still counts, buddy!

XCOM: Enemy Within [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/10562-PAX-2013-XCOM-Enemy-Within-Hands-On-Preview] introduces Meld, the new alien substance that allows you to carry out all kinds of genetic experimentation on your happy-go-lucky troops. Carving up a Thin Man's giblets gives your troops the ability to jump as they do, which is how that Sniper manages to bounce around like Tigger with a high powered rifle - Hundred Acre Wood would become an entirely different place - while other, undisclosed autopsies give you access to useful abilities like health regeneration. The Mech Suit you see thumping Sectoids like a big bully is the high level mech you'll be able to develop late game. Hopefully all Berserkers will go down as easily as that to a one-two punch.

XCOM: Enemy Within comes out on November 12 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

Source: 2K YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buW1FtMOTwI&feature=player_embedded#t=0]

hutchy27

Jan 7, 2011
Looks awesome, be picking this up along with slingshot dlc before I start my 2nd playthrough.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I wonder what the downside for the mech-guys is supposed to be.
By the looks of it they can move just as far, destroy cover, wreck shit close and far... that's about all that's needed really. Guessing they're expensive, but I can't see any reason not to only make them.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
hazabaza1 said:
By the looks of it they can move just as far, destroy cover, wreck shit close and far... that's about all that's needed really. Guessing they're expensive, but I can't see any reason not to only make them.
They don't seem to be able to use cover, and their rocket punch requires them to get in close. I'd imagine, especially if you can't upgrade their health lategame, that they can be focused down quickly if you aren't careful.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
hazabaza1 said:
Expensive, can't be in cover (but can't be flanked, either), need to get a MECToid first to build them, require MELD (a very limited resource) to build them in the first place AND to upgrade them...
Suddenly, they don't sound like the ultimate thing you should use exclusively, now do they?

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Bindal said:
hazabaza1 said:
Expensive, can't be in cover (but can't be flanked, either), need to get a MECToid first to build them, require MELD (a very limited resource) to build them in the first place AND to upgrade them...
Suddenly, they don't sound like the ultimate thing you should use exclusively, now do they?
I think I read somewhere the mechs can be/need to be repaired back at base - so I wonder if that means (and it also makes sense this way) that medkits won't work on them. That should stop folks being too gonzo with them, knowing that if the mech barrels into a swarm of aliens and gets pounded in-between turns, that's all that cash and resource gone.

Otherwise, this is getting me stoked for playing more XCOM, which is nothing but a good thing.

Edit: S.H.I.V. Repair or similar new Foundry upgrade maybe allowing field repairs of mechs withteh Arc Thrower? Who knows.

47_Ronin

Jul 30, 2012
Punching sectoids of the bridge? Count me in.
This looks like a lot of fun, but like others I wonder about potential downsides of the new goodies.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
I always kept 2 trained up snipers. One would get Squad Sight, and the other one would get whatever the inverse option was called so he could move then shoot. I called him the mobile sniper while the other one was the solitary sniper.

Ideal squad:

Mobile Sniper
Solitary Sniper
Heavy
2 Support
Assault (preferably with Ghost Armor)

yamy

Slayer of Hot Dogs
Aug 2, 2010
Considering the title of the game - 'Enemy Within', I keep thinking that they'll pull this thing where the new Meld thing is part of the new plot. So that if you decide to use it alot and modify all your humans into basically resembling aliens then you end up losing the game/makes the ending boss fight incredibly more difficult/getting a bad ending etc.

Or maybe they disable all the Meld stuff in the final boss fight so you end up fighting with rookies.

I really hope they don't do something stupid like that otherwise I'll be too afraid you play with all the awesome new stuff they've added.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
hazabaza1 said:
It's looks like he took up a bit of space in the ship that at max can sit 6 people only 5 ever got off maybe a Mech Trooper takes up "2" seats or they limit you to 1 or 2 per sortie regardless of maximum space and they don't seem to be able to use items anymore so it would be difficult to capture aliens with only MTs

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
yamy said:
Considering the title of the game - 'Enemy Within', I keep thinking that they'll pull this thing where the new Meld thing is part of the new plot. So that if you decide to use it alot and modify all your humans into basically resembling aliens then you end up losing the game/makes the ending boss fight incredibly more difficult/ending a bad ending etc.

I really hope they don't do something stupid like that otherwise I'll be too afraid you play with all the awesome new stuff they've added.
I don't know anything about the ending but apparently you can use meld to much and possibly corrupt your soldiers in a previous article. Maybe from to many upgrades at once or not strong enough Will before hand or something?

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
ZZoMBiE13 said:
I always kept 2 trained up snipers. One would get Squad Sight, and the other one would get whatever the inverse option was called so he could move then shoot. I called him the mobile sniper while the other one was the solitary sniper.

Ideal squad:

Mobile Sniper
Solitary Sniper
Heavy
2 Support
Snapshot snipers are just a waste of time for me. The -20 aim penalty is the difference between half-cover and full cover. Plus my ideal squad has 2 support and 2 assualt. Lightning Reflexes man, that alone is reason to double up on your Assaults.

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
Stevepinto3 said:
Snapshot snipers are just a waste of time for me. The -20 aim penalty is the difference between half-cover and full cover. Plus my ideal squad has 2 support and 2 assualt. Lightning Reflexes man, that alone is reason to double up on your Assaults.
That is actually one of the changes Enemy Within is making. Snapshot Snipers are going to be at -10 instead of -20 with it.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Stevepinto3 said:
ZZoMBiE13 said:

Ideal squad:

Mobile Sniper
Solitary Sniper
Heavy
2 Support
I've done plenty of runs with doubled up Assaults as well. And that's good too. But the last two times I used Snapshot snipers I had good luck with them. Of course it's more up to the rolls of the dice than anything. Well that and hoping against hope that you don't get one of those glitches that lets robotic enemies shoot you through walls and remain out of sight.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Phrozenflame500 said:
They don't seem to be able to use cover, and their rocket punch requires them to get in close. I'd imagine, especially if you can't upgrade their health lategame, that they can be focused down quickly if you aren't careful.
They can't use cover, but they make up for it by having the Hardened ability, just like Sectopods and Cyberdiscs, which effectively makes them uncrittable save for very rare situations. They've also got a good bit of health. In the video, it's got 14 health, which is about as much as a Colonel Assault in Ghost Armor and it's the first tier of MEC. Most likely, it will end with around 20 hp, much like a Hover SHIV.

They're not invincible by any means, but they're tough.

Karloff said:
I still don't know why anyone would be crazy enough to give a sniper anything other than Squadsight at Corporal rank, but with those frog-jumping legs it isn't so much of a concern.
They're actually rebalancing a lot of the skills/abilities, and both Snapshot and Squadsight are among them. The movement penalty on Snapshot is being halved from -20 Aim to -10, and Squadsight no longer allows crits unless explicitly using the Headshot ability. This combined goes a long way toward making them even. Snapshot snipers are absolutely a viable alternative now with that change.

Also, calling it now: Muton Elites are going to be the guys that give the second heart genemod.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Looking awesome so far... but I'm not keen on them changing the main colour from blue to orange though.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
For the love of God Firaxis, let me play with my soldiers DNA like a ball of yarn already!

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
I seem to be the only one, but I'm really interested in the add-ons to the XCOM motto at the end of that video. There's the normal 'Vigilo Confido', then there's also 'Mutare ad Custodiam' and 'Bellator in Machina'.