XCOM: Eternal Service

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
"Honey! I named one of my characters after you, she's" *gets eaten my a Chrysalid* "Uh...right over there!"

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
I named one of my characters after myself. Corporal Zoe "Loco" M. is still in service, but it certainly makes fights nerve-racking.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Yeah, I prefer calling them after celebrities
for example Chuck Norris was blown up with alien grenade, while Britney Spears got shot in the back by panicked teammate with heavy plasma :D

Also I reserve one spot for "myself"
Unfortunately "I" had no Psychic abilities :(

Kekkonen1

Nov 8, 2010
"My girlfriend thought it was pretty sweet that I named one of my XCOM troopers after her. Then she realized how terrible I am at XCOM."

Something like that yeah. She was happy when I said I named a character after her, but when I told her she died in the line of duty she was quite upset, and from now on I'm not allowed to make her anything but a sniper (although she actually died even after I made her a sniper).

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I only play classic ironman so I grind through troops too fast to name them. I think in my current game I'm at ~60 casualties, maybe more. I suspect they ran out of space in the memorial, and the world governments are sending me convicted prisoners instead of soldiers....

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
If player behavior in XCOM was made canonical, then we'd officially have a psycho with a mother complex as the head commander.

I'd totally watch that if it were a movie.

nexus

May 30, 2012
Yea, that first time you lose one or more soldiers to a car is really something special...

"Well, this went extremely well, promotions all around. *End Turn* Just one more lousy sectoid an-- *explosion* -- ARGHLBLARGH! x3" -_-

It was after that fateful day that I made all my soldiers wear helmets, so as not to see their faces. It's better that way.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Yeah, I heard it's best not to name anyone until they get strong enough.
Like not naming a puppy until it's old enough so you know it's probably not going to die.
:/ Sorry for your loss. :( I heard Susan died too.(In someones game.)

Apr 28, 2008
This happened with my brother.

Me: "Dude, look, I named a soldier after you!"
Him: "Really? You can do that? That's pretty cool!
Me: "Yeah, about to take him on his first mission!"
Him: "Cool, let me know how it goes."

*three turns later*

Me: "Um... so, about your soldier. He kind of... died."
Him: "What? Already?! How?!"
Me: "Well, I kind of didn't expect those two Mutons to pelt him with grenades, and he kind of... yeah..."
Him: "So re-load the game!"
Me: "Yeah... I can't. See, it's an ironman game meaning there's no re-loads. So all deaths are permanent."
Him: "You suck."
Me: "I know."

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
I'm playing the game on hard, and I have yet to have a death and about 6 months in game time into it. I'm a defensive player :D.

One of the soldiers I got is a woman named Kerrigan, so I nicknamed her Hive Queen. Also got this massive Puerto Rican with a thick lip mustache who I have given the name "The Stache". Simply naming you soldiers is entertaining.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
i wish i could just name my squad members after people i hate and watch them die but since i am a very defensive player and have my assault people all specced in the "not dying" tree i loose very few people, so far all the people i did loose i lost during terror missions because i those entrenching your entire team and having your snipers kill the crap out of everything is not a sound tactic

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
I dont change soldiers names.
I change their nicknames though.

Boomer is my nickname for my Heavy weapons guy.
One shot 10 Thin Men!

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I've had a surprisingly easy time keeping my soldiers alive.

Normal difficulty, iron man mode, only two guys dead so far (not counting the three unavoidable losses in the tutorial). Although one of them was the heavy you get at the start. Got nommed by a Chysalid and had to be put down shortly thereafter. I wasn't too happy about that.

Also lost a few SHIVs, but I consider them expendable. They always get sent into suspicious rooms first.

Gonna try classic iron man next.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
I've never really been into naming my XCOM soldiers, even though I'm a big fan of coming up with interesting names in other games when I have the choice. It adds more variety and realism when I see the names they come with and how they're influenced by the countries they come from. Rather than give them a personality myself, I let the gameplay dictate it more. I think I did give one of my original recruits the classic XCOM soldier hair, but after he died I never bothered with it again.

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
I had two British soldiers. One was called Price and the other Soap.

Because if they can stop evil Russians, then aliens will be a cake walk.