Xcom Publisher: Strategy Games Are Not Contemporary

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
As much as I want to rub that fact that 1/2 of Amazon's current PC Games best sellers are strategy games in their faces. I think we need to accept the sad truth that he's obviously referring to the market as a whole, which means consoles in addition to PCs. And yeah they are likely to see better returns on a multi-platform shooter than a PC only strategy game.

It just continues to strike me as odd to change this specific franchise. Anyone interested in the game because of the title alone is going to be invested in it as a strategy game and for new comers it won't make a difference what the title was.

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
If strategy games are apparently not what gamers want these days (seeing as apparently starcraft 2 didnt sell truckloads) then why the hell are they relying on the brand recognition of a well established strategy series.

How the hell is the "essence" of the game the same if the game isn't turn based and set in the past instead of the future?

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Not G. Ivingname said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Not G. Ivingname said:

Add Frozen Synapses to that. ;) And very soon, Subversion.
Fixed in original post, forgot about that one.
Heh heh.

http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1p9I9_sguLbs4bQz6ihGfcTrwCXgl9-XkxEtXBurCUL8gQidA9dy9bJBZMucxvDIHfl-0f1yiiNmBpk3JcbaL54w/Sins%20of%20a%20Solar%20Empire%202009-01-24%2012-21-23-88.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-YDnQNuUYSbg/TaZDUQX5kWI/AAAAAAAAAAk/zE4AvUTCQCs/s1600/eve.jpg

http://img.sceper.eu/images/supremmjm.jpg

http://vygame.net/wp-content/uploads/1Demigod-Cover.jpg

http://pics.mobygames.com/images/covers/large/1201737393-00.jpg

http://gamerzdb.com/static/d5ed8f218e966e16f8e34fcb3ed65186.jpg

http://www.systemrequirements.in/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/company-of-heroes-tales-of-valor.jpg

http://blogs.birminghammail.net/technobabble/Dawn-of-War-2-1642.jpg

http://www.hdwallpapers.in/walls/end_of_nations_game-wide.jpg

I had to fight terrible temptations to not include Nexus: The Jupiter Incident and Homeworld in there. I gathered they wouldn't be contemporary enough.

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
Greg Tito said:
"Turn-based strategy games were no longer the hottest thing on planet Earth," Hartmann said. "But this is not just a commercial thing - strategy games are just not contemporary."
Erm...what? Of course it's a commercial thing. You're changing the game so it will appeal to a larger audience (read: sell better). That's about as commercial as you can get.

Greg Tito said:
He continued explaining his position through a comparison to the music business. "I use the example of music artists. Look at someone old school like Ray Charles, if he would make music today it would still be Ray Charles but he would probably do it more in the style of Kanye West. Bringing Ray Charles back is all fine and good, but it just needs to move on, although the core essence will still be the same."
...whaaaaaaat? Ray Charles was alive and performing as late as 2003. He sounded pretty much the same as he always did. You don't change the fundamentals of someone's style because the time itself changes. I doubt Frank Sinatra would have changed to be more like Eminem and remain "the hottest thing on planet Earth," and Ray Charles certainly didn't transform into Kanye West.

Greg Tito said:
"That's what we are trying to do. To renew Xcom but in line with what this generation of gamers want," he said.
But shouldn't you be asking what, you know, Xcom fans want? They're your primary market. The people that you're marketing to by making it a FPS, inversely, probably aren't people who will recognize the Xcom name. In other words, you're adding another off-brand title to FPS Mountain.

Let's say that 'Crisco [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crisco]' wanted to get in on the hand sanitizer market. Instead of, say, creating a new line of hand sanitizers, they change their entire line from cooking oil to hand sanitizers. This will have two possible outcomes:

1) People unfamiliar with Crisco will pass it over in favor of more proven brands. Result: no money.

2) People familiar with Crisco won't buy it because it doesn't do what they originally bought it for. Result: no money.

3) People familiar with Crisco who buy it will be pissed off that their cooking oil makes their food reek of disinfectant, and swear vengeance against Crisco. Result: limited early money, then guaranteed loss of future sales.

Greg Tito said:
"The team behind it is asking themselves every day: 'Is it true to the values of the franchise?' It's not a case of cashing in on the name. We just need to renew it because times are changing."
Wait a second. Instead of stating an answer to the question, he gave a suspiciously specific denial that they're not trying to cash in on the series' name.

To me, this is like a shifty dinner guest screaming that he didn't poison your food when you go to ask him to pass the salt.

I think this guy was super baked when he made this press release. Like, super baked.

Feb 13, 2008
Slycne said:
It just continues to strike me as odd to change this specific franchise. Anyone interested in the game because of the title alone is going to be invested in it as a strategy game and for new comers it won't make a difference what the title was.
Transformers.

Titles mean more than their relative ideas these days.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
Are you fucking kidding me? By that logic, you could argue for a movie adaptation of Lord of the Rings, where Fro-do, a young aspiring rapper, has to win the respect of the streets from the corporate sell-out MC Saw-ron.

(I should point out at this juncture that I have absolutely no idea if hip-hop movies are still culturally relevant, probably not... what do kids like these days? Twilights? I really don't know enough about that sort of thing to make a snarky remark about it...)

kidd25

Jun 13, 2011
Not G. Ivingname said:

listen, i love you. listen you are a genius, listen i hope they see the error of their way.

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
At the risk of being warned or suspended, I have only proper response to the bullshit in this article:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Fucking idiot. Stop trying to defend you lazy-ass cash in and admit this isn't X-COM. Maybe instead of trying to explain yourself for the 20th time to your legions of skeptical and outright insulted fans, maybe you should say "Hey if they're this pissed about our product... what if they decide not to buy it?"

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
I'm not quite sure why Xcom is getting all of this attention. It's just another Generic McShooter a developer is pushing out to pad profit margins. They can put in minimal effort using an existing base (BioShock in this case) and more than make their money back while taking minimal risk. There is a huge audience for this kind of crap and it's fueling the industry at the moment; most crappy games just don't get so much coverage.

As for this being called an "X-Com game," it's entirely incidental. Financially speaking, belonging to a series is better than trying to stand alone. 2K happened to have a brand lying around that wouldn't mean anything to the people who buy these games but would gather media coverage. Bottom line, Xcom is not aimed at fans of the original series and our repeatedly talking about it simply means they win. So let's all stop, yeah?

P.S. This obviously inflammatory comment is yet another ploy to generate articles like this and get brand awareness up. And we're falling for it.

Nabirius

Dec 29, 2009
Dude not cool, I get that X-com is a bit dated and yeah, I would need a lot of re-vamping, but you are taking what could have been a contemporary turn-based strategy game and turned it into a shooter. The essense isn't the same at all, if it was done in a mission format like x-com maybe this would be a valid argument, but nothing is even similar.

nexekho

Jan 12, 2011
I was about to state how insulting it is to even compare Kayne West to Ray Charles, but then I realised. It IS the perfect metaphor. The original developers were a small team of masters of their craft who in the face of having poor tools and limited platforms made a masterpiece. These new developers throw millions at the product, strictly adhering to every marketable principle in the book and overusing existing tools to the point at which what they end up with is bland, forgettable, and probably fucking terrible to play. It's everything wrong with music, games, film, books.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
... Yeah, let's just ignore that Civ5, another game published by 2K was the 5th best selling PC game of 2010.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
I still don't get why they are calling this shooter XCOM. It looks nothing like X-Com, and from what they've advertised there is absolutely nothing linking the games together. If they named it something else entirely it would be getting so much less hate, but they are idiots.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
It's times like this that make me glad I stick to fighting games. I'm certainly not a "strategy" kind of guy (not in the context of this thread, in any case, which is why I'm not fond of the gameplay - and only the gameplay - in Dragon Age: Origins), and I barely know how to spell the original Xcom (as I've just heard of it recently), so this tidbit or news doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
My god these people's logic is going to make them crash and burn...not only have they alienated any audience they had out of the original fanbase early on, but they make it worse by attempting to justify it this way. I have really heard no good things about the game, and I believe it is 2k Marin that is the actual developer, which only has Bioshock 2 under their belt (which was an amazingly poor sequel).

They need to look to something like the new Sword of the Stars that's coming out this fall. The original was literally programmed by couple code monkeys as a fun project and it turned out to be amazing. Now they actually have some financial backing, but they're not trying to change the entire formula, they're just trying to improve it.

Reyalsfeihc

Jun 12, 2010
Irridium said:
Yes, because it's not like 2K has a best-selling, award winning turn-based strategy series that just saw the release of it's fifth game in the series to strong sales. No, that's impossible, because those things are totally dead and have been for years!
And it's not like another very popular strategy game made over three million unit sales within the first month bringing in millions of dollars *cough cough SCII*