Xperia Play Won't Be Another N-Gage, Says Sony Ericsson

Vyress

Jul 12, 2010
Can anyone tell me why I'd buy this over the PS Vita?
Maybe it's just me but they seem so similar with the Vita also leaning a bit towards being a smartphone here and there. It has 3G and with that you're supposed to be able to voice chat everywhere so it's not that far off from a phone either. And who knows? Maybe it'll have apps of its own and all.

To me it kinda looks like those 2 devices are in competition with each other. A smartphone leaning towards a handheld and a handheld leaning towards a smartphone....

I don't really know much about the Xperia so who am I to judge but it just doesn't look like a good idea on paper with the Vita in mind.

Turtleboy1017

Likes Turtles
Nov 16, 2008
Dys said:
starwarsgeek said:
Logan Westbrook said:
He said that the Xperia would be something that trendsetters would latch on to and embrace, and rejected the idea that it would only really appeal to a "techie" audience. "I think there's two types of people [who want the Xperia]. One is someone who's just in this because it's the only way they want to play games, because touchscreen games aren't great, and the other reason is a very kind of cool consumer. So I wouldn't say techie."
Did he just insult the "techie" audience? And an entire type of control...that their next dedicated handheld is using?
What they did to the xperia x10 was insult the techie audience, basically what he's done is acknowledged that it's going to take a lot more than mediocre hardware, terrible support and some gaming peripherals to win us back.

The xperia play will likely make the n-gage look like a runaway success. Gaming simply will not work without adequate support and a level of freedom, they completely butchered their last android smartphone in the name of DRM, and that was only really going to stop from (very) keen modders from porting their software to other systems (there is a small chance that users of competing high end android phones would have used those port for a small time)....imagine how bad it will be if there are actual products that they could potentially make a profit off of.

On a side note, I wonder how long it will take them to realise capacitive touchscreens can support multitouch this time 'round......
Actually, I own an Xperia Play and I am personally in love with it.

Yeah, in terms of profit margin and gaming success, the Xperia play will no doubt flop. However, in terms of emulations and personal enjoyment, this is the best thing I've had in my life.

Long story short, I have everything from PS1 and N64 to SNES and MAME running on this thing. They all play fairly smoothly, and the buttons are more than enough reason for me to purchase them. I honestly can't play any kind of an old school console game with a touchpad, it's too unresponsive and sluggish to get a good experience. With this phone, I can play Aria of Sorrow or Metal Slug 4 until my thumbs fall off.

Also I don't need to carry around my PSP anymore, which is more than enough reason to own one.

But yeah, in terms of next generation gaming and DRM and all that stuff this thing will probably end up a piece of garbage until Sony gets their shit together. Bruce Lee game was pretty fun though.

rufuslives

Dec 25, 2008
I've had my Play for about a week now and am finding it pretty tasty. If they called it the Emulation Phone it would probably shift a lot more units.

Turtleboy1017 said:
I have everything from PS1 and N64 to SNES and MAME running on this thing.
I've been trying to find the fabled MAME emulator... could you let me know what you are using?

Turtleboy1017

Likes Turtles
Nov 16, 2008
rufuslives said:
I've had my Play for about a week now and am finding it pretty tasty. If they called it the Emulation Phone it would probably shift a lot more units.

Turtleboy1017 said:
I have everything from PS1 and N64 to SNES and MAME running on this thing.
I've been trying to find the fabled MAME emulator... could you let me know what you are using?
Tigerarcade my good man. It's kind of hard to find because the marketplace lists it as invalid for some reason, but here, have a link.

http://www.mediafire.com/?0cw79koh13tsg78. By the way, getting games to run was ***** and a half, so let me save you the trouble. Drop the .zip neogeo bios, as well as any MAME games you may want to play directly into the SDcard root. Don't put them in any folders. Uncheck the "quick search ROM" in the settings when you run tigeracrade, and then search for ROM's. Some of them work, some of them don't, just keep trying different sites and you'll eventually find a bunch you're happy with.

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
Turtleboy1017 said:
Dys said:
starwarsgeek said:
Logan Westbrook said:
He said that the Xperia would be something that trendsetters would latch on to and embrace, and rejected the idea that it would only really appeal to a "techie" audience. "I think there's two types of people [who want the Xperia]. One is someone who's just in this because it's the only way they want to play games, because touchscreen games aren't great, and the other reason is a very kind of cool consumer. So I wouldn't say techie."
Did he just insult the "techie" audience? And an entire type of control...that their next dedicated handheld is using?
What they did to the xperia x10 was insult the techie audience, basically what he's done is acknowledged that it's going to take a lot more than mediocre hardware, terrible support and some gaming peripherals to win us back.

The xperia play will likely make the n-gage look like a runaway success. Gaming simply will not work without adequate support and a level of freedom, they completely butchered their last android smartphone in the name of DRM, and that was only really going to stop from (very) keen modders from porting their software to other systems (there is a small chance that users of competing high end android phones would have used those port for a small time)....imagine how bad it will be if there are actual products that they could potentially make a profit off of.

On a side note, I wonder how long it will take them to realise capacitive touchscreens can support multitouch this time 'round......

Yeah, in terms of profit margin and gaming success, the Xperia play will no doubt flop. However, in terms of emulations and personal enjoyment, this is the best thing I've had in my life.

Long story short, I have everything from PS1 and N64 to SNES and MAME running on this thing. They all play fairly smoothly, and the buttons are more than enough reason for me to purchase them. I honestly can't play any kind of an old school console game with a touchpad, it's too unresponsive and sluggish to get a good experience. With this phone, I can play Aria of Sorrow or Metal Slug 4 until my thumbs fall off.

Also I don't need to carry around my PSP anymore, which is more than enough reason to own one.

But yeah, in terms of next generation gaming and DRM and all that stuff this thing will probably end up a piece of garbage until Sony gets their shit together. Bruce Lee game was pretty fun though.
Oh yes, the third party emulators run brilliantly on pretty much ever device I've used, and the controls are quite a good addition for using the emulators, however their support for their last flagship phone was so bad it's unbelievable. I'm not even making up the thing about them flat out saying the screen couldn't support multi touch only to have the screens manufacturer contradict them (and then they later implemented some multi touch gestures).

My conviction that it's a failure isn't because the phone is inherently a bad concept, or because it won't be able to play games, but because sony have shown they simply cannot do smartphones and they have, time and time again, shown they have no respect at all for their customers.

ProtonGuy

Apr 7, 2011
Aww that is so cute Sony! You think that a game system that's a phone, and a phone that's a game system, won't end up like the N-Gauge. That is just so adorable, by the way what's the weather like in the great State of Denial?

Turtleboy1017

Likes Turtles
Nov 16, 2008
Dys said:
Turtleboy1017 said:
Dys said:
starwarsgeek said:
Logan Westbrook said:

Oh yes, the third party emulators run brilliantly on pretty much ever device I've used, and the controls are quite a good addition for using the emulators, however their support for their last flagship phone was so bad it's unbelievable. I'm not even making up the thing about them flat out saying the screen couldn't support multi touch only to have the screens manufacturer contradict them (and then they later implemented some multi touch gestures).

My conviction that it's a failure isn't because the phone is inherently a bad concept, or because it won't be able to play games, but because sony have shown they simply cannot do smartphones and they have, time and time again, shown they have no respect at all for their customers.
I'm with you on that. After seeing everything Sony has been doing and has done, I find it hard to believe that Sony is still a multi-billion dollar company with this much power.

Honestly, the only half decent thing they have done when it comes to software and development is maybe the PS3.

Everything else they do is an absolute joke when it comes to anything that isn't the physical hardware. It's a shame really, so many of their products are amazing on paper, but they somehow find actions that cause them to get FUBAR.

TiefBlau

Apr 16, 2009
- It is a phone.
- It is a gamepad.
- It can run an N64 Emulator.

Sold. I don't really care about anything else.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
He said that the target audience for the Xperia Play was younger smartphone users
Read: Almost all smartphone users. Call me old-fashioned, but I'm still content with my shitty $15 gophone. It makes phone calls; that's all I really expect out of a goddamn phone.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Good idea, terrible execution. You can't do much with a single core processor I'm afraid, SE. Wait up for the Krait based Snapdragons and give us something good.