Yahtzee nailed it (Games that beat me)

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Assassin's Creed Odyssey has beaten me.

Now, admittedly, I'not in exactly the same boat as him. There are a couple of games I didn't bother to beat (1 and 4, I think), and couple I simply didn't plasy (or maybe it's just Unity...games which take 20 games to count to 4 make it hard to keep track sometimes), but it's been a series I pretty thoroughly enjoyed to this point.

I've made references to this in other topics, but having seen the ZP on this just now, I couldn't help but nod along while feeling a bit depressed. I don't want to hate AC. They're trashy historical fiction gam,eds that are, on balance, fun and engaging, but this one just did me in.

I didn't mind RPG elements in Origins. I didn't even mind subtle tweaks (like how the hidden blade ws not necessarily an insta-kill on high-level enemies or Phylakes). I didn't mind the copypastad bases. I had fun. But this one? The further weakening of the assassination ability, the spongy bosses, the still spongy goons, etc all serve to make that "gameplay loop" too tedious for me to keep going.

There's a lot of talk about what an Assassin's Creed game "should" be, and...I don't care. They could turn it into a futuristic cyberpunk thriller and if it was fun, I'd be playing it. But I've already moved on to other games and that likely means I won't be back. And I enjoyed Spider-Man, so my standards shouldn't really be deemed "too high" or anything. They can make the game they want, but it is kind of disappointing the game they want is a grindy game that is engineered to suck cash from your wallet to keep it fun.

And I mean "fun" in the loosest sense, because I'm not thrilled by opening a store screen.

On the pus side, I recently grabbed the Ezio collection on sale, so I can go back to the last gamne inb the series that "beat me" (brotherhood). Or just play the two Ezio games I really liked.

So...any games killed your interest lately? Or do you just wish to gripe about Ubisoft? Come on in! Get warm by the fire that is cremating my desire to play future AC games. Maybe roast a marshmallow (Marshmallow emote pack 9.99 USD, directing you to Ubisoft store).

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Something Amyss said:
There's a lot of talk about what an Assassin's Creed game "should" be, and...I don't care. They could turn it into a futuristic cyberpunk thriller and if it was fun, I'd be playing it.
That...doesn't sound too bad actually.

So...any games killed your interest lately?
Not really. That can be boiled down to the following:

-Don't play as much as I used to.

-Very wary of RPGs these days, simply because they're a huge time sink

-System of when I start a game, book, TV show, or whatever, I force myself to go from beginning to end, even if I hate it.

So, by this system, it's very rare that a game 'defeats' me, so to speak. I think the last time that happened was with Path of Exile.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Mad Max. The odd design choice of having the game get duller and duller the more you did as the vaguely interesting car combat (if a little underpolished in variety) literally vanishes out of the game as you do open world stuff.

Speaking of sandboxes with territory liberation that causes the game to have an inverted difficulty/excitement curve, Far Cry 3! The second island just kind of trailed me off. I'm probably not the only in that boat either.

Johnny Novgorod said:
The last game that "beat me" was Skyrim. Good game but 80 hours in I called it quits. Not sure I was even halfway there.
Skyrim too, but purely on the standard of being a buggy mess. From the memory bloat/leak crap that plagued the PS3 versioon fro *months* to various progress bugs. I did eventually rush the main quest down on a dedicated effort just to put it aside.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
For me, it was Far Cry 5.

I think I got about two-thirds of the way through it before I got tired of getting kidnapped every time the game wanted to dump some story.

I mean, I despised getting interrupted every time my resistance meter gained another level. I'm just minding my own business, skulking through the brush and murdering cultists with my shovels and pet bear, then OOPS! You freed a hostage, you leveled up, and now you're being chased across Hope County with a bunch of angry cultists on your tail, and if you get shot once, you get captured.

I hated it. It wouldn't leave me alone to pop cultist heads, so I traded it in for SoulCalibur VI.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
Probably Assassins Creed Origins, I got about 9 hours in before I got sick of traveling across a desert with pretty much nothing going on in it.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Borderlands 2. Holy fuck! The characters are terrible! Jack, Claptrap, the sirens, what's his black, the hippie, Brick. They're all so fucking terribly written. Not one of them sounds like a person I want to even help get a glass of water. They're all 13 year old boys, obsessed with AWESOME, AMAZING, COOL, and TITS!
There's nothing to like about that game...

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Hawki said:
Yeah, I find RPGs to be the worst genre by far because they usually tend to be the longest games while also having the lowest percentage of engaging content. RPGs almost always break my most important rule of consuming any kind of entertainment, which is "just give me the good stuff".

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Samurai Warriors 4-II: 60 dollar DLC with shorter/reused version of the same levels, short campaigns compares to the original iteration, and lacking content to the original version. Seriously, fuck Koei-Tecmo on this and Dynasty Warriors 9.Returned it after two days.

Ninety-Nine Nights - Died in the second stage, quit and returned, because the game lack checkpoints, and the characters move so slow. I heard the 2nd game is better, but not by much.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Phoenixmgs said:
Hawki said:
Yeah, I find RPGs to be the worst genre by far because they usually tend to be the longest games while also having the lowest percentage of engaging content. RPGs almost always break my most important rule of consuming any kind of entertainment, which is "just give me the good stuff".
Wasteland 2. Alledgedly a good game. Not a lot of content. I had gotten half way and there had only been four areas. Decision tree was about as in depth as Fallout. It made little difference what decision I did make. At least had some slightly better groups than New Vegas.

It's main problem is that people were calling it a good cRPG. It was average at best.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Metal Gear Solid V. V for Venom? Victory? Vengeance?

I'd played through the entire mainline series prior to playing that but by the time I "finished" V I was just done. The fact it felt too long and yet horribly messily unfinished was a lot of this and while it has the best gameplay of the series, a lot of the missions are filler and trying to care about the story/characters is an exercise in frustration.

Even if another game were made I'm not sure I'd care at this point.

Though honestly, almost every huge open world game I've played ended with me being pretty much done with it. After sinking so many hours into the things, I'm very often feeling that I'm ready to move onto something else either around or before the the time I reach the ending. I've never even attempted to 100% such games.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Dalisclock said:

I'd played through the entire mainline series prior to playing that but by the time I "finished" V I was just done. The fact it felt too long and yet horribly messily unfinished was a lot of this and while it has the best gameplay of the series, a lot of the missions are filler and trying to care about the story/characters is an exercise in frustration.
This for me too.

There's plenty of long games I never finished, and maybe never will, but that's because 2 weeks of playing without having reached the end just makes me wanna do something different regardless of how much I like the game (The Witcher 3, Breath of the Wild). And after a certain time I might dip back into it and continue where I left off. That's NOT what happend with MGS5. I was already not exactly feeling it from the very start (of the open-world), it simply took a while of me waiting for things to actually pick up when I decided to not bother with it anymore.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
Silentpony said:
Borderlands 2. Holy fuck! The characters are terrible! Jack, Claptrap, the sirens, what's his black, the hippie, Brick. They're all so fucking terribly written. Not one of them sounds like a person I want to even help get a glass of water. They're all 13 year old boys, obsessed with AWESOME, AMAZING, COOL, and TITS!
I see I was not alone in this experience....

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Dalisclock said:

Even if another game were made I'm not sure I'd care at this point.

Though honestly, almost every huge open world game I've played ended with me being pretty much done with it. After sinking so many hours into the things, I'm very often feeling that I'm ready to move onto something else either around or before the the time I reach the ending. I've never even attempted to 100% such games.
That is the major flaw with most open-world games, once your done, there is not much else do. Just because your game is "open world" does not make your game superior to everyone else or entire genres. A lesson developers, publishers, reviewers, and consumer alike still have not learned. I remember meeting a guy who acted like a twat, because I hadn't picked up Spider-Man (budget issues), and went on this spiel about how DMC5 won't be better than it. I told the ************"One, you don't know that. Two, I don't care for most open-world. Three, there different genres that should not be compared. And four, like I give a fuck.". He's also got flustered when I called him out by comparing Spider-Man to God of War (2018). He went on to say they different genres that you can't compare, I pointed out his hypocrisy and he still tried to flimsy justify it. I left him alone after that.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Silentpony said:
Smithnikov said:
The experience of being WRONG!

There are plenty of games I don't finish because I don't find them worth my time, but I usually get to that decision rather quickly. But I did play a good deal of Fallout 4 before drowsing off.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
The last games that killed my interest right after the intro chapter were Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain and Bayonetta 2 for some reason. Oh, and I happens always with the whole Tactical RPG genre. I love to start those games (Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Valkyria Chronicles, Mordheim: City of the Damned, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, you name it) but my interest inevitably dies before midpoint. I only have finished the original Final Fantasy Tactics (I even drew a diagram on paper with the Zodiac Signs as a reference for the weaknesses and strengths, and my parents thought I was practicing witchcraft or something).

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Pillars of Eternity hit a point where all interest faded. It was quite sudden, after booting it up one time, as soon as I started to head to the next questination, everything just felt meaningless and the inventory faffing became this glaring dreaded anxiety that I was not optimising all my numbers properly everytime I opened it up. Haven't had any desire to go back in since.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Smithnikov said:
Silentpony said:
Oh right, I forget that one because I never bought it myself. Despite getting it for free from a friend to play it with. Some of the worst shooting in modern era games coupled with the endless trainwreck of LulzRandomMEME style "humour". Bowed out of it pretty quick.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
Dalisclock said:

This for me too.

There's plenty of long games I never finished, and maybe never will, but that's because 2 weeks of playing without having reached the end just makes me wanna do something different regardless of how much I like the game (The Witcher 3, Breath of the Wild). And after a certain time I might dip back into it and continue where I left off. That's NOT what happend with MGS5. I was already not exactly feeling it from the very start (of the open-world), it simply took a while of me waiting for things to actually pick up when I decided to not bother with it anymore.

I took another break from MGSV to start The Old Hunters. I still enjoy the game even with the repeated side missions because I love the immersion, but I doubt I?ll go for its Platinum like originally planned. Perhaps if I?m ever bored enough. The worst would be collecting all the animals and S-ranking all 50 missions. I?ve gotten quite a few out of the way but some of them would just be pushing futility. It?s one series, like The Witcher, that I?m happy to see concluded (at least indefinitely).

Even with the Souls series, I?m happy 3 is the last there too even though I?m also enjoying it. Actually knowing it?s the last makes it easier to enjoy as a final hurrah of sorts. Interested to see what Sekiro is like, even if it isn?t ?better?.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
hanselthecaretaker said:
I took another break from MGSV to start The Old Hunters. I still enjoy the game even with the repeated side missions because I love the immersion, but I doubt I?ll go for its Platinum like originally planned. Perhaps if I?m ever bored enough. The worst would be collecting all the animals and S-ranking all 50 missions. I?ve gotten quite a few out of the way but some of them would just be pushing futility.
SuperBunnyHop did a video on 100% MGSV. Apparently it's a giant ass pain, because it means most missions end up getting played at least twice(and often 3 times) because you have get all of the hidden, optional objectives as well, which is unlikely on the first go and fairly incompatible with an S rank. In fact, apparently the ranks are mostly based off of time completed, so almost every mission can be S ranked by speedrunning the crap out of it(the walker gear is apparently amazing for this).

As for the animal collection? Yeah, apparently most of them don't show up on the map and need to be trapped, but certain animals only show up in very small, isolated areas and the only way to know is to read a guide or just place traps everywhere.

He said it totally wasn't worth the effort.