Yay or Nay: An RTS/FPS online game.

lizards

Jan 20, 2009
it would need classes like in gears of war im a sniper and am a shitty soidier i like to be away from the combat and shooting people in the face so being a regular infantry soldier would not appeal to me also classes like: engineer, assult (shotgunner) support (heavy weapons), medic, GI, tank drivers and pilots

Adfest

Feb 23, 2009
I can see this working.

As said before, you just have to make following orders fun and important enough to make the players want to cooperate.

I could see the resource gathering working the way it does in games like Dawn of War. The ground units would dedicate most of their time and energy to capturing and controlling critical points that provide the commander with the resources to build defenses, upgrade the ground forces weapons/armor/abilities/etc, and perhaps even assist in respawn time or distance to critical points.

Sounds pretty damn fun to me.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Savage really isn't a bad game I'd give it a 75% personally but it's not all that great. It gets old and repetitive after a while. Natural Selection is far better in my opinion.

Johnny Xtreme

Jan 31, 2009
Command and conquer renegade had a similar feel. Everyone played as a soldier, and their buildings got upgraded when they got enough money.

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
Adfest said:
I can see this working.

As said before, you just have to make following orders fun and important enough to make the players want to cooperate.

I could see the resource gathering working the way it does in games like Dawn of War. The ground units would dedicate most of their time and energy to capturing and controlling critical points that provide the commander with the resources to build defenses, upgrade the ground forces weapons/armor/abilities/etc, and perhaps even assist in respawn time or distance to critical points.

Sounds pretty damn fun to me.
Actually, that's how I was imagining the resource gathering as well. Most large-scale first-person shooters, like the Battlefield series, incoporate point control in some way. In this RTS/FPS game, it could be to the purpose of getting the commander more resources so he can give the players better technology, which would eventually help them destroy the enemy base.

Alternatively, the commander could serve the players' needs, as opposed to the other way around. For example, if there's a point that needs to be defended, a player could request a sniper tower be constructed somewhere nearby and the commander could decide whether or not to comply. If they need an ammo drop, they'd ask for one. If they need a vehicle, they'd ask for one to be airdropped to their location. It's also far more likely a commander will be willing to play in the spirit of the game than all the individual soldiers.

And yeah, I'm gonna give these Half-Life 2 mods and Savage 2 a try later.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Johnny Xtreme said:
Command and conquer renegade had a similar feel. Everyone played as a soldier, and their buildings got upgraded when they got enough money.
It wasn't quite the same since no player was in control of the base.

SlappedwithaFish

Feb 25, 2009
There is something exactly like that, it's called Empires and it's a mod for HL2
Oh, someone else already said this, whoops

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
I have also toyed with the idea of a game playable as a soldier to Master of the Orion..Whoops, I meant Universe of course,
and everything in between.

The problem would be people, being people.
And the solution would be people, designing a good system for it.

I have enjoyed reading many of the ideas,answers and solution in here.
That alone gives me hope for the future of this project coming to fruition.

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
Teiraa said:
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY i really wish there was a game liek that
There is. It's the Savage series. They're both free to play, and Savage 2 has premium account nonsense.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Battlezone 3.

Do this: keep everything good about the first PC Battlezone, same look and feel. Update the graphics. Have a multiplayer RvR with different battlefield objectives/strategic points across several planets that you can either attack first person or build a base to defend.

Or something.

Heck just the deathmatch I played for days, months, and probably years on end.

Talendra

Hail, Ilpalazzo!
Jan 26, 2009
Natural selection did this in a way, though you could get out of the commander chair, and it was great fun, I miss it.