'Yelp for People' App Launches, Here's What You Should Know

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Baresark said:
Pyrian said:
Neverhoodian said:
If it's opt-in only then people have no one to blame but themselves if (more likely when) they get screwed over.
Mmmm. But what if someone opts "you" in without your knowledge or consent?
Can they do that?
I don't see why not, considering there's countless fake Facebook pages and such. I doubt there's any kind of stringent screening process that prevents John Doe from making an account for Bob Smith.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Jandau said:
LJ Ellis said:
Please, for the love of god, please edit the article and add the fact that the app is opt-in only - you can only get reviewed if you sign up for it first. This thread is going to go downhill fast, and this is the important bit of information that shouldn't be left out.

Don't get me wrong, I still think the app is a terrible idea. But random people won't get massively slandered without their knowledge on the app...
What's stopping anyone from signing somebody up without their knowledge?

tacotrainwreck

Sep 15, 2011
I'm on the fence, but maybe leaning toward a system like this, as it could encourage social responsibility. On that note, it would need an unreasonable amount of moderation to really be any good. I feel that any person on this app should be able to retort a negative review, and they can leave it up to the viewer whether or not their interactions were justified or actually bad. On the other side of the coin, there's probably something funny about a 'truth license' subscriber looking to hire a person who has 3 good reviews and 30 negative ones they have simply hidden.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
SecondPrize said:
Jandau said:
LJ Ellis said:
Please, for the love of god, please edit the article and add the fact that the app is opt-in only - you can only get reviewed if you sign up for it first. This thread is going to go downhill fast, and this is the important bit of information that shouldn't be left out.

Don't get me wrong, I still think the app is a terrible idea. But random people won't get massively slandered without their knowledge on the app...
The fact that that would likely fall under some form of identity theft and be punishable by law? Sure, people might still do it, but then the person affected has recourse once they find out - demand that the profile be removed and potentially sic the police on the person who did the signing up in the first place.

Again, I don't support the app and I think it's a terrible idea, I just think that this aspect of it should have been mentioned in the article, as it makes it slightly less awful.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Jandau said:
SecondPrize said:
Jandau said:
LJ Ellis said:

The fact that that would likely fall under some form of identity theft and be punishable by law? Sure, people might still do it, but then the person affected has recourse once they find out - demand that the profile be removed and potentially sic the police on the person who did the signing up in the first place.

Again, I don't support the app and I think it's a terrible idea, I just think that this aspect of it should have been mentioned in the article, as it makes it slightly less awful.
Good luck getting the police to care. Much like all those fake facebook profiles out there. "What? Oh, someone's saying mean things about you on the internet? Get the fuck out of here. This is for real crimes, kid, like wasting police resources."

And, good luck getting a tort suit going because they'll hide behind safe harbor protections, and the people who set up your account will be liable for libel, but figuring out who set up the account? Not so much.

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
9tailedflame said:
Oh wow, this is such an abusable clusterfuck. I REALLY hope this flops, because otherwise we're going to have people mob-style make fake professional reviews and charge people to change them, and if they don't no employer will hire them, we'll have bitter and/or crazy exes reviewing their exes and saying pure bullshit, we'll have people making fake accounts of people, businesses will give their own employees bad reviews to prevent poaching, the company itself will start making problems and selling you the answers.

This is a terrible idea.
Said as if that isn't their entire business model.

johnnyboy2537

Nov 28, 2012
This thing needs to flop. As someone has previously pointed out in a video, I can't remember it at the moment, you could basically make accusations that could ruin a person's life with a rape accusation as long as you don't give them too low of a rating. I hope this thing crashes and burns as bad as Twitter is right now.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
hahaha, it's Meow Meow Beenz!

if you are thinking of using this, first google "Meow Meow Beenz" and watch the episode you arrive at.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Actually this is a form of pure marketing genius.

This effectively ensures a high user database as it will force people who otherwise would not care about this companies garbage product by appealing to their vanity and sense of self preservation, and drive people to sign up to defend their name and moderate what is being posted to their name.

Isnt technology such a wonderful thing to bring us all together like this?

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
I dunno.

Seems perfectly benign to me and I see no potential for this sort of totally not insidious thing to begin worming its way into other aspects of our lives.

What's the worst that could happen?

[small]User Name: LostGryphon currently has a rating of 2/5 stars across five social media and gaming networks.
Notes: "faggit do not imploy" - xXxX420sseepphhiirrootthh360epocsontiezalbXxXx
[/small]

JSoup

Jun 14, 2012
LJ Ellis said:
Not so fast.

According [http://calgaryherald.com/technology/internet/controversial-peeple-app-set-for-launch-on-monday] to co-creator Julia Cordray, Peeple plans to launch a paid subscription option called a "truth license" within the next month that will make all reviews and rating visible -- even the negative ones.
And then a month after that, "Not so fast." again as another pay level is rolled out that allows people to rehid crap. This app is going to make the developer bank, and all because a handful of people are going to sign up to throw garbage at each other.