Yes, Minecraft is Still A Thing

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
I think the lack of coverage is also related to the nature of the gaming media. The gaming press reacts to the gaming industry, not to gamers. Since Minecraft has been out for four years, there isn't a development house or publisher making such a big deal out of it. The result is that the gaming press doesn't go over it either.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Gethsemani said:
I think it is also a generational issue.
That might explain why I just don't "get" minecraft.

I gave it a sincere try but I'd always get bored once I was done making my cozy little house on some picturesque location.

I've tried to rationalize ppl having fun in MC as it being similar to how I enjoyed lego as a kid, dunno how accurate that is, but yeah otherwise MC is one big puzzle to me. I'm a friggin dinosaur :(

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
To quote Top Dollar:
A man has an idea.
The idea attracts others, like-minded.
The idea becomes institution.
What was the idea?
That's what's been bothering me, boys. I tell ya: when I used to think of the idea itself, it put a big ol' smile on my face.
You know what they got now? Minecraft greeting cards.

Isn't that precious? The idea has become the institution, boys. Time to move on.

AJvsRonin

Nov 11, 2010
The same reason when discussing the cultural landscape of modern music we don't discuss the latest album by the Wiggles or whoever is the huge hit with the kids.

It's not that they're bad, but they're almost their own industry.

Minecraft isn't a game, it's a platform.

And I actually take issue with the thesis of the article. Plenty are discussing it, people are making a living just doing let's plays of it. It's just here at the escapist and other media outlets of similar ilk the audience has moved on.