Yet another Skyrim thread - Opinions on "The Animations of Skyrim"

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
I've been hearing some Haters call Skyrim "Oblivion 2.0". Well, while this is still speculated, now it's almost entirely denounced by this new video by Bethesda:

What are you thoughts on Skyrim being / not being "Oblivion 2.0"?

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
Of course it's better than Oblivion. You know haters gon' hate. Don't feed the trolls, my friend.

DarthVella

Oct 13, 2011
Dammit. I was just about to post this exact video.

I don't believe it for a second. I think (hope) Bethesda is not lying when they say they've overhauled everything, and having watched this, I'm put slightly more at ease. Damn, it's brutal.

I'm very curious about what that dual wielded spell at 0:48 is; it's not shown in use.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Bvenged said:
I've been hearing some non-believers call Skyrim "Oblivion 2.0".
My thoughts are you sound like a crazy, rabid, super fan who'd probably take the slightest quibble about the game as a personal insult.

"DEATH TO THE NON-BELIEVERS! DEATH!"

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
Ghengis John said:
Bvenged said:
My thoughts are you sound like a crazy, rabid, super fan who'd probably take the slightest quibble about the game as a personal insult.

Not the case, I'll rephrase it if you want. I was just making this topic appeal to the extremes.

EDIT: Done - now you can't nitpick.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
While some of the animations do look quite nice, you have to realize that a lot of those are canned kill animations, somewhat similar to a QTE.

The awkward jump from 3rd to 1st person was distracting.

King of the Sandbox

Jan 22, 2010
Bvenged said:
Ghengis John said:
Bvenged said:

Not the case, I'll rephrase it if you want. I was just making this topic appeal to the extremes.
Did you even read my post? Don't feed them and they go away. lol

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
AlternatePFG said:
While some of the animations do look quite nice, you have to realize that a lot of those are canned kill animations, somewhat similar to a QTE.
Yes, I was aware of that which is why I'm still a bit iffy over how many end-kills there are; if there's not many I will be disappoint as it would get very tiresome very quickly.

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
Yeah those combat animations are looking nice and weighty. I'm really impressed with what they've done. Fuck everyone who says that nothing has changed since Oblivion. Haters gon hate...

AppleShrapnel

Jan 2, 2010
Saw that video a couple hours ago. Looks markedly better than Oblivion.

As to the whole Oblivion 2.0 thing... I dunno, I don't think it's as much of an insult as some may think. Heck, any sequel of a modern, successful franchise could be a 2.0 or 3.0 or whatever.

MW3 -> MW1.5
Dark Souls -> Demon's Souls 2.0
Etc. etc.

Jasper Jeffs

Nov 22, 2009
Well obviously it's gonna be Oblivion 2.0, the same way MW3 is COD 5.0. Seriously, those numbers mean nothing, it's a series; they're gonna have similarities. I don't know why people hang on to the similarities so much though, there are differences too.

I'm looking forward to Skyrim, I'm not expecting it to be DU BAST GAEM EVA but I'll probably enjoy playing it. The only thing that annoys me more than the fanboys are the gimps that feel the need to act all superior just because they dislike a long awaited game in a highly successful series.

That video was okay I suppose, not much of a fan of kill animations because they get old really quick. It doesn't matter though, I'm gonna be either a marksman or a mage anyway so I won't run into them all that much.

King of the Sandbox

Jan 22, 2010
AppleShrapnel said:

As to the whole Oblivion 2.0 thing... I dunno, I don't think it's as much of an insult as some may think. Heck, any sequel of a modern, successful franchise could be a 2.0 or 3.0 or whatever.

MW3 -> MW1.5
Etc. etc.
I know, right? I hope these people that think that don't ever play a Zelda Game. lol

AppleShrapnel

Jan 2, 2010
Oh wow, totally forgot about the immortal Nintendo franchises... just how many iterations have Mario, Zelda, Metroid and heck, even Sonic gone through? XD

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
AppleShrapnel said:

MW3 -> MW1.5
Etc. etc.
Well, I know it's not really an insult as such to a fan - but Oblivion was the fourth main game in the series; so when others refer to Skyrim as the 2nd Oblivion and not the 5th Elder Scrolls game, that's where the insulting occurs.
Just like how I can start up a flame war by saying CoD MW3 = CoD MW1 + CoD MW2; A glorified expansion pack of the same old same old...

EDIT: Nobody quote that or actually start flaming - challenge me on another thread, I can prove CoD to be shit over & over again on them.

Mxrz

Jul 12, 2010
People bring agendas to video games, most of this gets dumped onto forums in the hopes of some sort of validation. "I played this game you guys are all eagerly waiting on, it sux!" in some form is the typical motif, usually because it conflicts, in their minds, with some other game they identify with. This happens with about every game.

Bethesda rarely keeps quiet about their games, and tend to show off more game footage than most. They're also generous with review copies. The concern-troll claims about it "Not improving!" are just silly when it is plain for anyone with a review or early release copy to see firsthand, or even anyone who takes enough time to look at some of the videos/screens floating around. Like the one posted here.

Daring to point this out amid the hate/hype causes some people to lash out and call you a troll, but meh. Fragile egos on the internet is nothing new.

dessertmonkeyjk

Nov 5, 2010
As long as it's being compared to Oblivion then any other game that might have done it better then this won't really be doing any harm.