Y'know what Square Enix, fuck you!

pat34us

Sep 18, 2010
They have went completely off the rails since their merger with Enix, I guess that's what happens when you buy your only competition.

Johnny Novgorod said:
On the plus side, I reckon they haven't really fucked with Dragon Quest all that much since the merger.
Also this, but it's not a positive. Final Fantasy 13 gets two unwanted sequels but Dragon Warrior has not had a console release since 9.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
What are they going to do, release it half finished with basically a trailer on the end that has all the cool shit they wanted to do but didn't have the time or budget, and then follow it up with a number of increasingly shitty sequels?

Oh wait, that was Soul Reaver, AKA the only actually good Legacy of Kain game, and even that was only half the game it should have been.

LoK was fucked up from the beginning.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Square Enix still exists? Oh man, I forgot about them AGES ago. Yeah, I stopped caring after they gave me my 12th ulcer. It's like having an alcoholic family member. I want what's best for them, but I just can't watch them do this to themselves any more. Fortunately, since they aren't actually family, I don't have to. Good luck Square, call me when you clean up and become a productive member of society. Until then I'll go back to pretending you don't exist.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Ah, ratings and comments disabled. The true sign of quality! It's also odd since in the video they talk about being connected to the community.

I don't think it looks too bad, just another class based multiplayer game. This time with vampires and things that aren't vampires. But from the name I was expecting a high-octane racing game with gothic styling. One day...one day...

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
I find it difficult to get upset when the series basically died after Defiance and will never come back as it was. The key people involved in making the series have all basically moved on so even if this was a story driven single player game it would never live up to expectations.

The series is dead and has been for a long time. No sense worrying to much about this game being part of that series. If it's good on its own merits then great. If not then who cares?

Vern5

Mar 3, 2011
What I don't understand is why they have to use the Nosgoth setting at all? Surely they could have devised their own Vampire v. Humans setting from scratch and moved forward rather than digging up that handsome Legacy of Kain corpse?

The people who want to play this game because of its gameplay will most likely not recognize the IP and the people who enjoyed Legacy of Kain probably don't want to play a TF2/L4D knockoff. It's just the strangest kind of marketing.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
pat34us said:
They have went completely off the rails since their merger with Enix, I guess that's what happens when you buy your only competition.

Johnny Novgorod said:
On the plus side, I reckon they haven't really fucked with Dragon Quest all that much since the merger.
Also this, but it's not a positive. Final Fantasy 13 gets two unwanted sequels but Dragon Warrior has not had a console release since 9.
10 is a Wii/Wii-U game! :D Sure, it's an MMO, but it's still on a console! :D

OT: As someone who has never played a LoK game before, I really don't care, but my sympathies to the fans who have been waiting years for a new one and get this instead.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Looks interesting, and not a real reason to knock on Square Enix. Perhaps its more than just a test to see if there's still enough interest in a LoK game, maybe its just a F2P advertisement to generate serious talk about a real LoK installment. I also prefer not to judge games on announcement trailers and beta footage. Judge them when they're released and at their final build. Then say whether its good or not.
Cynicism is just so petty. Just proclaim yourself a hipster and keep trashing the big dev's, because honestly this pre-judging misanthropic attitude is ridiculous. Be honest... or at least say you're not interested.
I've got a beef with Square-Enix that has nothing to do with LoK and everything to do with their consistent dumbing down of the Final Fantasy series. I feel between X2, XII and XIII and its sequels the horse is now dead, flayed and nothing but the base makeup of jell-o is left from the beating. I've no interest in any more of their RPGs except for KH3, and the fact that they pumped out so many handheld titles inbetween 2 and 3 seemed just a cash grab. The only one I liked was Dream Drop Distance, and only because out of all of the titles it felt the most like a true KH installment.
I will say that I liked the idea and play style of the Dissidia games too but they felt more like their own style that happened to feature FF characters.
When SE decides to do something different, it seems to work for me which is why Nosgoth may be a surprise gem.
I remember an oddity released for the PSX called EZ Ehrgeiz which was just a strange as fuck game but a surprisingly awesome title. So Square CAN make odd games work and I will judge them as they are released, not before. But hey, you all can pre-judge all you want. Life must be so disappointing for you all.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
wintercoat said:
pat34us said:

Johnny Novgorod said:
10 is a Wii/Wii-U game! :D Sure, it's an MMO, but it's still on a console! :D

OT: As someone who has never played a LoK game before, I really don't care, but my sympathies to the fans who have been waiting years for a new one and get this instead.
10 is also Japan-onry. No Dragon Quest for Westerners. Anyway, Square is weird and kinda dickish at times, but I can't honestly say this announcement bothers me either. Never got into Legacy of Kain.

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
Wow, I seriously don't feel the force with this one. Being a fan of the Soul Reaver series, I think the graphic design doesn't belong with the general feel of the saga... They're too shiny and elaborate to fit in the Legacy of Kain series. That and a probable continuity error with the razielim clan. I thought they were wiped out after their master was thrown into the abyss.

kyuzo3567

Jan 31, 2011
Vern5 said:
What I don't understand is why they have to use the Nosgoth setting at all? Surely they could have devised their own Vampire v. Humans setting from scratch and moved forward rather than digging up that handsome Legacy of Kain corpse?

The people who want to play this game because of its gameplay will most likely not recognize the IP and the people who enjoyed Legacy of Kain probably don't want to play a TF2/L4D knockoff. It's just the strangest kind of marketing.
This sums up nicely how I feel about this game. Sure, purely as a game it looks pretty enjoyable and I would happily sign up to Beta test it cuz it looks pretty good. The thing that bugs me is using the IP names for the game, they really didn't need to do that... I'm less inclined to play it now since in my mind it (currently) doesn't fit with how I remember the IP being in my head.

And now to go replay those games once I finish Witcher 2... I love GOG.com

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
Apart from it being set in the world, it seems to have nothing at all to do with Legacy of Kain.
I'm with Atmos, I fail to see where SE said this was the next Legacy of Kain. It looks like either a spin-off, a cash grab using the name, or a lack of creativity.

Actually there's a news report where they even said it's not a Legacy of Kain game. http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/07/nosgoth-in-active-development-at-square-not-a-traditional-legacy-of-kain-title/

Though I lost interest when I heard "dark and brutal world". I've seen enough of that, and I prefer my dark worlds to be crapsaccharine. [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CrapsaccharineWorld]

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
amaranth_dru said:
Looks interesting, and not a real reason to knock on Square Enix. Perhaps its more than just a test to see if there's still enough interest in a LoK game, maybe its just a F2P advertisement to generate serious talk about a real LoK installment. I also prefer not to judge games on announcement trailers and beta footage. Judge them when they're released and at their final build. Then say whether its good or not.
Cynicism is just so petty. Just proclaim yourself a hipster and keep trashing the big dev's, because honestly this pre-judging misanthropic attitude is ridiculous. Be honest... or at least say you're not interested.
I've got a beef with Square-Enix that has nothing to do with LoK and everything to do with their consistent dumbing down of the Final Fantasy series. I feel between X2, XII and XIII and its sequels the horse is now dead, flayed and nothing but the base makeup of jell-o is left from the beating. I've no interest in any more of their RPGs except for KH3, and the fact that they pumped out so many handheld titles inbetween 2 and 3 seemed just a cash grab. The only one I liked was Dream Drop Distance, and only because out of all of the titles it felt the most like a true KH installment.
I will say that I liked the idea and play style of the Dissidia games too but they felt more like their own style that happened to feature FF characters.
When SE decides to do something different, it seems to work for me which is why Nosgoth may be a surprise gem.
I remember an oddity released for the PSX called EZ Ehrgeiz which was just a strange as fuck game but a surprisingly awesome title. So Square CAN make odd games work and I will judge them as they are released, not before. But hey, you all can pre-judge all you want. Life must be so disappointing for you all.
I'm of a similar opinion. I loved the Soul Reaver games and their story but I can't see the series coming back right now, maybe after several years someone will think to remake an old classic (And have found a way to resurrect Tony Jay) and they'll take a shot at making the game series anew but for now, this really doesn't seem that bad.

Seriously, it's not like a certain series that got a reboot that completely changed the tone and story to be more "western", thus turning it into a cheap summer action movie in game form.

As for myself and Square Enix, my only gripe with them is this... WHERE THE HELL IS A 'THE WORLD ENDS WITH YOU' SEQUEL?!

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
LordDPS said:
Hey Sqaure Enix how's fucking up Final Fantasy going for you? Obviously not well enough because you've decided to fuck up Legacy of Kain as well you fucking idiots!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbpMhMfnTuQ
So... basically they pulling one of these:

Nothing really to say, cause its not really that interesting... (I thought this was about some other game...)

AbsoluteVirtue18

Jan 14, 2009
I came here expecting a discussion about how they still haven't implemented server transfers in FFXIV ARR yet. Now who will I gripe to?!

Oh, Legacy of Kain...Eh. I mean, it might be fun, but I'll never play it.

BQE

Posh Villainess
Jun 17, 2013
This actually looks pretty interesting to me. I would certainly give it a try. It reminds me quite a bit of Wolfteam, which was a multiplayer game that incorporated a third-person werewolf mechanic in an FPS pretty effectively in my opinion.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
LordDPS said:
Hey Sqaure Enix how's fucking up Final Fantasy going for you? Obviously not well enough because you've decided to fuck up Legacy of Kain as well you fucking idiots!
Square's merely publishing the game.

Psyonix is the one making it. Make sure you have the right target before you start firing shots.

[small](Also I dunno if you've seen the trailers for Final Fantasy XV, but that shit looks dope.)[/small]

Kaendris

Sep 6, 2013
The_Echo said:
[small](Also I dunno if you've seen the trailers for Final Fantasy XV, but that shit looks dope.)[/small]
What? Trailers? FFXV.... The hell did I not hear about this...

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Kaendris said:
What? Trailers? FFXV.... The hell did I not hear about this...
Yeah, how didn't you? It was announced at E3 just before Kingdom Hearts III.

And I believe they released some new info about FFXV at TGS this past weekend.

Kaendris

Sep 6, 2013
The_Echo said:
Yeah, how didn't you? It was announced at E3 just before Kingdom Hearts III.

And I believe they released some new info about FFXV at TGS this past weekend.
That would be how, I pay attention to none of that stuff.

Just watched the trailer, not sure if that was all cinematic footage. If it was not, it looks like the went from turn based RPG to straight action RPG with this one... which is.. strange.

Animations are phenomenal though, and the graphics look be top notch.