You are in the U.S please speak English

chunkeymonke

Sep 25, 2009
Can someone please explain to me hwy it is a bad thing to expect people living in a country that predominantly speaks English to speak English? If I permanently move to France and expect everyone there to learn English instead of me learning French that would make me a bit of an asshole but if you do it in the U.S.A it's fine? Why is it wrong to want people to speak the language of the county they live in

I don't know why people are saying things along the lines of american isn't a language i never used the word in my post

Confidingtripod

May 29, 2010
you do realise that they may be learning english, also the U.S.A is a mixed country, you were built from colony's from several countrys and remain with the languages associated, though those people might be choosing not to speak english too.

Grospoliner

Feb 16, 2010
I don't expect visitors to learn the local language. I expect citizens and residents to learn it though.

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
but in america you should speak american

I know that in some countries you can get citizenship without speaking the language. As for why people find it wrong to want people to speak the language of the country they live in, it's because of waaah language freedom waaah hippie bullshit.

MysticToast said:
Well the U.S. doesn't actually have a national language....
English is the official language of most states, not federally though.

Apr 28, 2008
dagens24 said:
If they don't like it they can giiiiiiiit out!
Yeah, otherwise they'd take our jobs!

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
Well at least you didn't call it American. *shudder*

I think you're generalising beyond reason, every foreign person I've met personally spoke English; I even met a man from Libya at my TAFE who asked me to help him learn English. Ah, the broken conversations we had. I was a terrible helper, I'm sure.

Assuming you've met people who are like that, maybe they do know English, but pretend not to because they don't want to speak to you. Just throwing that possibility out there.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Matthew94 said:
Where did you get this from?

No foreign people act like that over here in Ireland.
Unfortunately there is a rather large sect of Americans over here that see fit to actually require English to be spoken.

It's pretty pathetic.

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
Thats a bit of an arrogant attitude man, have you ever tried learning another language? I agree that people should be able to speak English in the UK etc, and but is there anything wrong with being bilingual? What ever happened to multiculturalism and all that?

TastySurvivor

Vault-Tec Beat Writer
Jun 14, 2010
HerbertTheHamster said:

I know that in some countries you can get citizenship without speaking the language. As for why people find it wrong to want people to speak the language of the country they live in, it's because of waaah language freedom waaah hippie bullshit.

MysticToast said:
Well the U.S. doesn't actually have a national language....
English is the official language of most states, not federally though.
Um....American isn't a language. We speak english. But I bet most foreigners knew that.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
HerbertTheHamster said:

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHA

Oh dear GOD, that made me LAUGH!

please good sir, which language is "AMERICAN"? is it Spanish, English, French or Portuguese??? because all those are languages in America

aside from that, I agree, if you are moving to a country that speaks a different language, you should learn that language, but until you do, no one should disrespect or treat those people as "lesser civilians" like they do in the United States...

and unless they speak Cherokee I dont think they are speaking the language of the land they live in ;)

Thedayrecker

Jun 23, 2010
Finally I can use this image!

OT: You can't force people to change their life, when you're considered a melting pot country, where all different sorts of lifestyles, are supposed to be....

I'm rambling... Brain's melted, too much Minecraft.

Long story short, you can't because it's racist.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
American is what people call a melting pot of cultures. So theres no real problem with them speaking the language they want.