You are killing PC gaming. (Updated)

TylerC

Nov 12, 2008
Yes, YOU. If you are one of the vast majority of people one of the many of us (there better?), who pirate copies of video games, you are causing being a major contributor to a huge problem.

People complain that their beloved PC games are being cut from development or are losing support, but companies can't keep making games or providing support because it costs money, yeah all of your hard earned money for buying a game isn't going to the publisher. The developer needs money for their own salaries and for development and support of their game and future games. Pirating is like going to a game store and just stealing a copy. Think, would you really go to say Best Buy, and just grab a couple of games and walk out? Using CoD4 as an example, approximately 60%* of players online were using pirated games, and the removal of dedicated servers could also be part of the of control piracy.

If Call of Duty: Modern Warfare was released as a PC exclusive, I'm sure you would have seen no dedicated servers, and no MW2. These games are surviving on console sales, and its no surprise that games like EA's extremely popular Madden NFL*** games are being dropped...it's just not worth the time, effort and money to make a free game.

This isn't happening as bad with consoles because it is so hard to mod your console, and if you go online, you can say goodbye to your PSN, or XBL account.Edit: Alright, yes, you can pirate console games, and yes, MW2 was leaked for the 360**, but like I said before it is MUCH harder to play cracked games on consoles. I've heard of ways you can use GameShark or Action Replay on the PS2, or playing leaked/homebrew games on the Wii, but in general it is much more difficult and time consuming to open up your box, soldering shit and adding modchips.

So next time you complain about the dying art of PC gaming, think, what can I do to prevent this?

Feel free to argue your point against me, or provide your thoughts.

Please try to keep your "Why should I care," or "I don't play PC games" comments out of this thread.
thest3alth said:
StarStruckStrumpets said:
What makes you think I care?
What makes you think anyone asked [you] to care?
[small]

Edited and being edited.

*For those who were wondering, I got the 60% figure here in the Fourth paragraph, second sentence.
**Ahem
***A lot of you are saying that it's no surprise Madden was dropped from the PC, and that they don't need a new version every year, but Madden sells millions of copies every year so their is obviously some change (note: Madden 2010 sales did drop significantly from 09).[/small]

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
I never pirate games.

As for what a player can do to prevent the dying art of PC gaming... not much if the developers are douchebags. Look at IW. There's a huge outcry from PC gamers about the PC version of MW2, but are IW doing anything about it? No!

And here's how much 'effort' IW have put into the PC version;

" Moriarte: Ignoring IW.net, is the PC version a direct port of the console version?

Mackey-IW: No, PC has custom stuff like mouse control, text chat in game, and graphics settings.

This is the amount of work that went into the PC version: you are given the ability to use a mouse, to use text chat, and to adjust graphical settings. Are your fears now put to rest? "

Source - http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/11/pc-modern-warfare-2-its-much-worse-than-you-thought.ars

HotFezz8

Nov 1, 2009
fair enough, my pc is a laptop, therefore if i were to walk a game past it it would throw itself out the window and die.

i'm into 360, and honestly other than some RTS (the Total War series, i use it because i know it), flight sims, and maybe a handful of others i can't think of, computers aren't really designed to play games.

no, no... no shut up and let me finish. the only real advantage the PC has over the 360 or the PS3 (i refuse to call the Wii a games station) is that it has many many many more buttons you can use as a control.

stop and think. the PS3 sells for, what? £300? if you try to get a bling one? second hand ones in my area are £225... the 360 is, well i don't know but i can pick up a second hand mid range one for £75. using this as a comparasion the pc can't compete, a decent games PC costs a limb, a soul, and prefereably a child.

i can understand why companies stop making games for the PC, piracy et al, but there is a fairly compelling reason to stop making shooters racers etc for the PC all together.

p.s. is it possible to pirate a 360 or PS3 game?

Undeleted

Jul 29, 2009
btw building a computer isn't expensive, you could build a solid machine today for around the same price as a console and it would last you a good three years at the very least.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
I don't play games on the PC anyway.
Nor do I pirate.
You're the PC gamers, you fix the problem.

It certainly isn't my concern.

TylerC

Nov 12, 2008
HotFezz8 said:
Yes, you just need to buy a mod chip, and then burn and play the game. IT's what a lot of people use to back up games, or to get games that aren't available (I know some people stationed in army bases that do this). Others just to you know...be cheap. But like said above you will not be able to play online, cause you'll be banned.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
ma55ter_fett said:
I am a digital pirate, what of it?
You bastard.

HotFezz8 said:
fair enough, my pc is a laptop, therefore if i were to walk a game past it it would throw itself out the window and die.

i'm into 360, and honestly other than some RTS (the Total War series, i use it because i know it), flight sims, and maybe a handful of others i can't think of, computers aren't really designed to play games.

no, no... no shut up and let me finish. the only real advantage the PC has over the 360 or the PS3 (i refuse to call the Wii a games station) is that it has many many many more buttons you can use as a control.

stop and think. the PS3 sells for, what? £300? if you try to get a bling one? second hand ones in my area are £225... the 360 is, well i don't know but i can pick up a second hand mid range one for £75. using this as a comparasion the pc can't compete, a decent games PC costs a limb, a soul, and prefereably a child.

i can understand why companies stop making games for the PC, piracy et al, but there is a fairly compelling reason to stop making shooters racers etc for the PC all together.

Okay, now tell me this... could you play Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights on a console? Could you play Crysis or most flight simulators on a console? No. That's what I thought.

TylerC

Nov 12, 2008
Furburt said:
rom experience, getting a cracked copy of a game to work online is incredibly difficult.
And yet, more than half of the people online in CoD4 were using pirated copies.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
HotFezz8 said:
I'm into 360, and honestly other than some RTS (the Total War series, i use it because i know it), flight sims, and maybe a handful of others i can't think of, computers aren't really designed to play games.
You could of thrown up the fact that a large number of recent games are actually ports of the Xbox version.

Yes. However you'd either need a really swank PC rig or a modded console.

But for the most part it's old news. Getting a console game is typically easier to use than it's PC equivalent. I also find that the people who proclaim that piracy is killing PC gaming are also typically those who pirate more.

After all, you can't easily pirate a PC game if there are none.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
TylerC said:
HotFezz8 said:
Yes, you just need to buy a mod chip, and then burn and play the game. IT's what a lot of people use to back up games, or to get games that aren't available (I know some people stationed in army bases that do this). Others just to you know...be cheap. But like said above you will not be able to play online, cause you'll be banned.
haha you will not get banned if your not an idiot. If youre using the latest version of the mod/chip and making sure you the game is patched, then you will not be banned.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
StarStruckStrumpets said:
I don't play games on the PC anyway.
Nor do I pirate.
You're the PC gamers, you fix the problem.

It certainly isn't my concern.
Why do you even bother commenting if it doesn't concern you?

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
i used to pirate games a lot in the past years, but i like my PC free of viruses, so i am now buying only originals, unless they are abandoned games wich is fair play.

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009

I buy games from developers that are dedicated to them. Hence games smeared with god awful labels like Activision and EA Sports, good as they may be, I gladly pirate.

We want the quality of games to stop stagnating. Cleansing of the gene pool. It's all there is to it.

KSarty

Aug 5, 2008
HotFezz8 said:

Gaming PCs are nowhere near as expensive as people like to claim they are. The computer I just built for my friend has a 3.0ghz dual-core, 4GB of RAM, and 1GB Radeon 3870 video card. The entire computer was built for $450, with shipping. Add to the fact that computers are used on an every day basis for a very large number of reasons, and I don't see how it is so expensive.

More buttons is not the only real advantage PC games have over consoles. For those of us who enjoy keeping our computers up to date, the PC can be more powerful than consoles. That doesn't just mean better graphics either, I'm talking about overall performance.

Why can't people just accept that some people prefer different things? I prefer RTS, FPS, and some times RPG games on the PC. Whereas adventure and action games I prefer on console.

OT: Piracy isn't killing PC gaming. It certainly isn't helping, but it isn't killing it either. The PC is still a great platform for first-time developers. It is wide open, you don't need to deal with the console manufacturers limitations, and it is cheaper to develop for due to lack of licensing fees. Torchlight is a great example of this. The game took 11 months to develop and was a relatively risk-free proposition for any publishers because it was on PC and could be released through systems like Steam.

All in all, I doubt PC gaming will ever re-acquire its status of the mid-late 90s, but it won't be going away any time soon either. People just need to stop bringing this shit up. Its not dying, and its not re-emerging.