You Can Experience Battlefield 4's Gritty Realism On October 29th

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
October 29th? Smart move planning that on their part since it is two weeks before the second Tuesday in November (the day the last five Call of Duty games have been released on). Wonder if it will make a difference.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
Assassin Xaero said:
October 29th? Smart move planning that on their part since it is two weeks before the second Tuesday in November (the day the last five Call of Duty games have been released on). Wonder if it will make a difference.
well, COD have their fans and BF has their fans. it dint stop people buying BF3 and MW3 and both came out at the same time.
both have huge fan bases so i think both will sell well.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Metalrocks said:
Assassin Xaero said:
well, COD have their fans and BF has their fans. it dint stop people buying BF3 and MW3 and both came out at the same time.
both have huge fan bases so i think both will sell well.
True. I could also see there being a bit of people who don't have a preference and go "Oh, Call of Duty is out in a few weeks, but Battlefield 4 looks pretty similar and it is out now, so I'll just get that".

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Did we just get the release date for the next gen?
Or are they just going to be the last on the current gen.

silverbullet1989

Jun 7, 2009
Yuuki said:
Errrr that small screenshot in the news post is HIGHLY misleading of the true Battlefield 4 experience.

This is far more reflective of BF4's amazing visuals (click for full size, it looks even more realistic):

[http://i.imgur.com/tv7VmgG.jpg]
fake! needs more blue ;)

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
ron1n said:
RicoADF said:
A) I love ArmA and its series so much.
B) I find CoD and BF so boring and can't get how people can like the stuff (other than some quick mindless coop split screen).
Very different beasts. ARMA is a Mil Sim. CoD and BF are spectacle shooters with arcade-like multiplayer components.

Not everyone can be bothered with all the realism mechanics of mil sims. Granted CoD and BF have progressively gotten more rubbish, but since they have monopolized the mainstream fps market, there's little other choice if you haven't got any interest in realism/simulation, other than a bunch of cod-cloned F2P shooters which are just more of the same anyway.
ArmA is a milsim if you treat it as such. As the youtube video points out many times, ArmA really is a game that's what you make it as, and I don't just mean with mods. How you approach and play the game is as important as anything else. Yes you can die easily when on foot, but same in CoD and BF, it's the way you approach it that's different. It's this robustness that I love, heck my best memories in the game are mucking around in ways that put CoD to shame, especially when it comes to the game's physics engine. Think of it as GTA military edition, it can be serious and realistic or you can muck around and be silly. The modding just adds extra options and turns a great game into what's practically a game engine to edit to your will if you know how to mod.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
RicoADF said:
ArmA is a milsim if you treat it as such. As the youtube video points out many times, ArmA really is a game that's what you make it as, and I don't just mean with mods. How you approach and play the game is as important as anything else. Yes you can die easily when on foot, but same in CoD and BF, it's the way you approach it that's different. It's this robustness that I love, heck my best memories in the game are mucking around in ways that put CoD to shame, especially when it comes to the game's physics engine. Think of it as GTA military edition, it can be serious and realistic or you can muck around and be silly. The modding just adds extra options and turns a great game into what's practically a game engine to edit to your will if you know how to mod.
That's all nice, but personally, none of that interests me to be honest.

My background is in competitive gaming, death match games, arcade shooters etc. Quick paced, instant action.

1.6, CoD 1 and CoD 2, Wolf ET, Quake, Quake Wars etc. are what I enjoy. Regrettably now days, BF and CoD are the only viable outlets for that experience (especially in Aus where player numbers aren't generally sustainable for anything else)

But even though I hate the shitty glare and lens flare, horrid netcode,stupid xp unlock systems and lack of config options, it's still a different experience to ARMA. If they ever make some kind of popular 5v5 arcade style mod for the game minus all the realism features etc. then colour me interested. Until such a time though, I still prefer BF, despite its many, many faults.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Yuuki said:
Errrr that small screenshot in the news post is HIGHLY misleading of the true Battlefield 4 experience.

This is far more reflective of BF4's amazing visuals (click for full size, it looks even more realistic):

Battlefield 4: Now with 5000% more seagulls. (seriously, what's with all the birds? unless they've implemented a new birdstrike game mechanic to troll helicopters and jets)

Akimoto

Nov 22, 2011
KuromaTyrant said:
Akimoto said:
The multiplayer will no doubt be good - after all that's DICE main strong point - but I would love it if the single player was less... bland as the previous one. At least there's no dog.

Is it strange to be torn (a) between the desire to see an overblown, bloated and poorly supported game sink (Origin) so fast it collapses on itself and creates a blackhole and at the same time (b) wish it the best of luck and smash a good bottle of wine on it's side for luck as it sails off?

EDIT:
Yuuki said:

Nope, I saw the video and it still looks as drab as BF3 to me. I'm not dissing either you or the game, but a screenshot with lens flare is not exactly the best way to demonstrate amazing visuals. You may want to try this instead

http://cdn.bf4central.com.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/bf4-1-640x360.jpg

I am assuming that when you mention realistic you are referencing to the graphics, which are not. I would dare suggest FarCry 3, Crysis and even Metro Last Light to be more 'realistic' , taking into account the settings they are in. Although MLL is indeed drab, take into account that it takes place in a post-apocalyptic world. BF4 is leaning towards a more gritty feel that was a carry over from the film Saving Private Ryan. It's a nice touch to a game/film, but a little overdone.

TL:DR - Lens flare is not a good indicator of realistic or amazing graphics. And although gritty is not good when over done, neither is colorful - unless it's FC3 Blood Dragon. =)
You uh...missed the joke. That lens flare is in the game. Like, as you are playing. Its godawful when you are trying to shoot someone with the sun behind them.
I feel like an elitist now. Shoot me! >.<

Although admittedly I'm tired of the words 'realistic' and authentic being thrown around like ragdolls in a Source engine.