You Can Now Play League of Legends On Your Mac

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Headdrivehardscrew said:
erttheking said:
Well I tried three practice matches against bots. It's official, I suck. It always feels like enemy champions hit harder.
You've got a Dark Souls avatar, so I take it you know about practice-makes-perfect and that knowledge is king.

Google " build" or "lol pro" for starters.

Try out the free heroes of the week

Get a cup of tea or coffee, play the tutorial. It's worth it.

Take your free or bought hero of choice, one that feels right to you, and create your own custom game with all bots and you as the only human player. Take your time. Try to get a grasp on things. Try to understand the story of Sisyphos. Understand LOL as a tool to make you a better human being. Use the zen momentum LOL brings with it. In LOL, freedom exists, but it is rare. In LOL, you are but a cog in the mechanism. You are but a bunch of pixels in the bigger image. At first, you'll spend half an hour or more with people you don't know... over and over again. Eventually, you'll have a stock, a collection of a thousand 'friends' or more, only for the purpose of being able to play the game with people you can rely on. I know of people that got fired because they suck at LOL. I find it hard to reason about these things with someone that does not 'get' LOL. I just think it's important to be able to tell that LOL is all about teamwork, a plan to stick to, and the ability to adapt to whatever comes your way during a match.

I prefer playing LOL to assembling LEGO or doing 1500-piece puzzles. Yes, there are assholes. Assholes are everywhere. The longer you play, the more you will be able to exclude assholes from your own, personal experience. Eventually, you'll grow tired of assholes and poor players on the enemy team. You'll learn to either exploit and gank or ignore them.

If you think the enemies hit harder, look at their gear. When you play a while, you'll have free points with which to buy some more heroes, until you find one that really, really suits you. If you've found a play style that suits you, get various toons that allow you to do your thing even though your personal number one hero has been chosen by somebody else. To spice things up, get a variety of heroes you enjoy. Get some tanks. Get some ranged. A holistic approach to LOL is absolutely recommended.
Practice makes perfect, trust me I know. I just feel like there's something I'm missing. I'll go back and play a few more matches when I get the chance.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Mordekaien said:
That's good news, really!
I was looking for a chance to try out LoL, now's the time I guess! (Yes, I own a mac. Don't judge me.)
*hi-five* Same boat friend. I've 500gb+ to burn, why not?

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
erttheking said:
Practice makes perfect, trust me I know. I just feel like there's something I'm missing. I'll go back and play a few more matches when I get the chance.
Well, you are missing:

- Knowlegde: You know jackshit, no idea what champs do, what items do, what creeps do, what neutrals do, what you should do... so far you know how to open the game and click play, not much else.

- Skill (AKA mechanics): Unless you are a pro at SC2, DotA, Warcraft (RTS), Diablo or some other shit where you needed to micro, you should be terrible at getting your toon to do what you want.

Now, I am not trying to be mean, we all started from the very bottom, but it's like watching someone try chessboxing [youtube]43Wcbd0dJpQ[/youtube] and then wondering where all the blood came from and why he can't check.

Anyway, this forums are quite friendly, so there should be people able to help you around. Sides that, go and suck for a year or so and maybe you will get somewhere :D

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
Making a game cross-platform is news-worthy? Must be a slow day for news at The Escapist.

Ghaleon640

Jan 13, 2011
TorchofThanatos said:
Korten12 said:
TorchofThanatos said:
Korten12 said:
erttheking said:
Here's the question though. I can play this now...but do I want to? I hear games like this have steep learning curves and horrible communities.
TorchofThanatos said:
erttheking said:
Here's the question though. I can play this now...but do I want to? I hear games like this have steep learning curves and horrible communities.
I was going to ask the same question. I kinda want to try out this style of game.
I have friends playing who are nice enough to understand that i will be new and suck. if I didn't already have friends playing I don't know if I would try it.
Honestly it's overexaggerated.

True, there is douchebags and assholes that float around the game, but after playing many games with players 1 - 30. It's not very often. Most games are silent and usually just say GG in the end. Sometimes they yell but it's not often and most of the time it's more hilarious than anything.

Surely better than my first DOTA 2 bot game where everyone just quit. :/
True, the people often talk about COD having a terrible community but most game no one talks. I am currently download the game and I am looking forward to playing it. If only I didn't have so much homework this weekend! Also how does the hero selection work? I heard that there are like 10 hero's that everyone can use but they rotate every week and you can buy hero's with in game cash? I am right?
Every week there is 10 free champions you can use and then you lose access to when the next 10 are up. As you play you can use IP (ingame money) or RP (Riots Posts, Real cash) to buy any of the champions.
Okay thanks for the info, lets try this game out!
Off topic, but to help you start off, because yes, the community can suck a lot. I would have quit a long time ago if not for my friends.

Step 1: Farm minions. You get extra gold and exp. Its easy to think, 'kill the other guy' but the minions are where it counts.

It If you're in North America, the general meta is this: (just in case) There are three lanes, top, bottom, and mid. Bot lane generally has a ranged Attack Damage (AD) carry. They are squishy, die easy, but deal a lot of over time damage if your team can keep the team off you. And a support, who lets the ADC have all the farm (Yeah, being support is a thankless job.) Keep the ADC alive/give them kills.
Mid is AP caster. Top is generally bruisers/tanks, and jungle has a lot of variety, AD, AP, tank or damage, but you'll figure it out. Best of luck! (Personal recommendation, Singed is fun, great late game, but his early game is a little weak and may frustrate you beyond repair if the enemies keep killing you.)

On topic: I can see why they waited, and I don't feel they were misplaced in doing so. Loved the video, thanks for posting.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Yeah, I bet the hardcore LOL players are going to take this news swimmingly...

Ok, more seriously, who is a good support hero in the current rotation and how do you play support well?

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Not G. Ivingname said:

Ok, more seriously, who is a good support hero in the current rotation and how do you play support well?
My personal favorite is leona, but Taric and Nunu are both cheap and good supports.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
Not G. Ivingname said:

Basically buy wards and keep your adc alive, you're pretty much a babysitter during the lane phase. Supports also have three different styles. You have poke supports, sustain supports and aggressive supports. Oh and don't expect anyone to ever thank you unless you do really really really well, and be ready for lots of raging if you don't do well or ward enough.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Risingblade said:
Not G. Ivingname said:

Basically buy wards and keep your adc alive, you're pretty much a babysitter during the lane phase. Supports also have three different styles. You have poke supports, sustain supports and aggressive supports. Oh and don't expect anyone to ever thank you unless you do really really really well, and be ready for lots of raging if you don't do well or ward enough.
Ok, ward a lot, keep carry alive. I main medic in TF2, so I know how it is to never be thanked for anything and only blamed for others mistakes. :p

ADC is the carry in this game right?

Is there anything like "plane pulling" (attack a neutral creep camp to bring into the lane, and get your creep wave to attack it, denying the other team experience?)

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
Not G. Ivingname said:
Risingblade said:
Not G. Ivingname said:

Ok, ward a lot, keep carry alive. I main medic in TF2, so I know how it is to never be thanked for anything and only blamed for others mistakes. :p

Is there anything like "plane pulling" (attack a neutral creep camp to bring into the lane, and get your creep wave to attack it, denying the other team experience?)
No, your creeps won't attack neutral monsters. Those creeps are for the jungler who farms them and ganks other lanes. As a support you don't kill minions, unless your adc isn't there or you're trying to push the lane. You have to depend on gold from your items,masteries,runes and assists.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Risingblade said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
Risingblade said:
Not G. Ivingname said:

No, your creeps won't attack neutral monsters. Those creeps are for the jungler who farms them and ganks other lanes. As a support you don't kill minions, unless your adc isn't there or you're trying to push the lane. You have to depend on gold from your items,masteries,runes and assists.
Leave farm for adc, concentrate on harassment and keeping your adc alive, got it. Anything more I should know about playing support that the game doesn't tell you? Any particular items, is there are corrour in this game?

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
So the "free" champions aren't characters you get to choose from as a character you get access to long-term, but instead you have to buy a champion before you get long-term access to any of them?

I had planned on waiting till they had a character I was really interested in among the 'free' champions before trying this out, but if it's rotating anyway and I have to buy one before I get them long term, I'm may finally give this game a try sooner rather than later.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
Not G. Ivingname said:
Risingblade said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
Risingblade said:
Not G. Ivingname said:

Leave farm for adc, concentrate on harassment and keeping your adc alive, got it. Anything more I should know about playing support that the game doesn't tell you? Any particular items, is there are corrour in this game?
Most supports usually get a philosophers stone for the gold output then turn that Shurelya's reverie. It gives your speed boost which is good for chasing enemies. Ususally you want items that provide an aura effect like Legion of the aegis. Some people build a sightstone it gives you up to free wards at a time. It also varies for some supports, champs like leona and Alistar need to build tankier items because they're job is to fight in the front lines and soak up damage for your team. There are guides online that tell you what to buy but usually it's the same for all supports. Not sure what a corrour is though

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Risingblade said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
Risingblade said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
Risingblade said:
Not G. Ivingname said:

Most supports usually get a philosophers stone for the gold output then turn that Shurelya's reverie. It gives your speed boost which is good for chasing enemies. Ususally you want items that provide an aura effect like Legion of the aegis. Some people build a sightstone it gives you up to free wards at a time. It also varies for some supports, champs like leona and Alistar need to build tankier items because they're job is to fight in the front lines and soak up damage for your team. There are guides online that tell you what to buy but usually it's the same for all supports. Not sure what a corrour is though
Thing that carries items from base so people don't have to run all the way back to base to buy stuff.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
Not G. Ivingname said:
Risingblade said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
Risingblade said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
Risingblade said:
Not G. Ivingname said:

Thing that carries items from base so people don't have to run all the way back to base to buy stuff.
Nope you have to recall to base to get your items

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
the first ever "carry combo" to enter the fields of justice. Quinn and Valor utilize a unique mechanic where the two characters can "tag" in and out of combat at will, effectively being two champions for the price of one.
excpet for Jayce,Nid,Elise

To a lesser extent Swain,Heimerdinger,Vane, Leblanc

I know it's a marketing thing. But the concept of switching up ablilitys with Ultmite/skill has been done before

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
OT: Kinda surprising they didn't do this earlier. What was stopping them? There must be millions of potential players on Mac they could've pulled in earlier.
I was hazard a guess at two reasons why they didn't do this earlier.
1) There a couple of community solutions/workarounds that solved the problem so the demand probably fell steeply or never rose that high.
2) League is kind of like WoW in the sense that almost every damn PC anyone has purchased in the last 5+ years can run it reasonably well. I've puttered around on my ancient laptop (7-8 years old) and I can still somewhat run it on the lowest settings. I assume there is a good chunk of people with Macs who own one form of PC, so they probably just resorted to that.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
direkiller said:
Steven Bogos said:
the first ever "carry combo" to enter the fields of justice. Quinn and Valor utilize a unique mechanic where the two characters can "tag" in and out of combat at will, effectively being two champions for the price of one.
excpet for Jayce,Nid,Elise

To a lesser extent Swain,Heimerdinger,Vane, Leblanc

I know it's a marketing thing. But the concept of switching up ablilitys with Ultmite/skill has been done before
Yes and no, they are the first combo adc champ, that's true (no Jayce technically isn't an ADC). And yes they are really the first champs to be two distinct individuals who aren't on the screen at once and instead trade places. Unless I'm forgetting anyone I think Willup/Nunu are the only other duo in the game, and they are the only ones who are both around at the same time.
Nidalee and Elise are still themselves, they just shapeshift. Jayce just switches the form of his weapon.
Q&V abilities are basically different versions of each other, which contrasts greatly to the previously mentioned champs.
The only other champ that follows this methodology of same skill but varied is Shyvana.

Vayne? Uhh sort of missing the logic behind that one.
As for Swain, yea it's just him turning into a bird, but he still retains the same abilities. I would equate that more to a ultimate particle flavor than an actual "swap", more akin to like Nasus or Renekton getting bigger/color change/particle effects.
Leblanc's clone is a controllable minions, more akin to Tibbers, Shaco's clone, Mordekaizer's clone, etc. Not really a swap of abilities, or a variation on abilities when they are brought out.
And finally there are the non controllable minons such as Heimer and Zyra, they are pretty much a minion that's thrown on the ground and not controlable, neither a transformation of skills nor a new set of skills.