You can Now Play the Classic Facing Worlds Unreal Tournament Map in CS:GO

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
You can Now Play the Classic Facing Worlds Unreal Tournament Map in CS:GO

Old-school Unreal Tournament fans and CS:GO players alike can now enjoy UT's most famous map.

If you've been playing games since before Y2K, you probably spent a little time in 1999 playing Unreal Tournament. One of the most recognizable and iconic maps for that game was Facing Worlds. The map is set in space, high above what appears to be Earth, or an Earth-like planet. On either end of a narrow strip of land, two towers face each other. In between, players fight to reach the other tower and steal the flag of their enemy. It was one of the best maps in the game, and even made its way into Unreal Tournament 2004. Now, you can play that very same map in Counter-Strike: Global Offensive.

The map was brought to CS:GO by a modder named Mr. Error [http://steamcommunity.com/id/HiDanZCHL/myworkshopfiles/?appid=730]

The open design and narrow paths may make this map a little iffy for CS:GO play, but there's no denying how cool it is to see this little bit of gaming history back again. You can check out the map yourself by subscribing on Steam Workshop [http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=882801593].

[gallery=7071]

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Meh, come back and talk to me when they have Hyperblast.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
This'll just turn into a damn sniper duel...
Good god I remember that being bad enough in Unreal Tournament, I can't imagine being ported to a game where every weapon is hitscan will do it any favours.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Aeshi said:
Good god I remember that being bad enough in Unreal Tournament, I can't imagine being ported to a game where every weapon is hitscan will do it any favours.
[Spawn] HEADSHOT!
[Spawn] HEADSHOT!
[Spawn] HEADSHOT!
[Spawn] HEADSHOT!
[Spawn] HEADSHOT!
[Spawn] HEADSHOT!
[Spawn] HEADSHOT!
(QUIT)

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Worgen said:
Deck-16 or GTFO. Or that one castle-esque level, also known as flak-cannon heaven, with this song:

Come to think of it, I really miss multiplayer games with kick-ass soundtracks. These days it's all so quiet.

But man, even Facing Worlds. I downloaded the beta for the new UT a while back and the moment I saw the original Facing Worlds map with its original music I got all giddy and warm inside. Even the pre-alpha is already metric fucktons of fun.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
Worgen said:
Deck-16 or GTFO. Or that one castle-esque level, also known as flak-cannon heaven, with this song:

Come to think of it, I really miss multiplayer games with kick-ass soundtracks. These days it's all so quiet.

But man, even Facing Worlds. I downloaded the beta for the new UT a while back and the moment I saw the original Facing Worlds map with its original music I got all giddy and warm inside. Even the pre-alpha is already metric fucktons of fun.
Ehh, its good, but cant hold a candle to 2004.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Worgen said:
Ewwwwwwwwww UT2004. Get that gross vehicle nonsense outta my sight, and all those orchestrated musical elements. Gimme my straightforward drum&bass and 2edgy4me rock. Reminds me of simpler times, UT99 or bust bro.

But at least it wasn't UT3. That left a nasty taste in my mouth. Luckily the new UT is promising to go back to its roots.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
Worgen said:
Ewwwwwwwwww UT2004. Get that gross vehicle nonsense outta my sight, and all those orchestrated musical elements. Gimme my straightforward drum&bass and 2edgy4me rock. Reminds me of simpler times, UT99 or bust bro.

But at least it wasn't UT3. That left a nasty taste in my mouth. Luckily the new UT is promising to go back to its roots.
Ehh, its roots were strongest with tanks and flying things.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Worgen said:
Cowabungaa said:
Worgen said:

Tanks and flying things are to be found aplenty in Battlefield and Planetside. UT is for the bunny-hopping spazzes among us who like to jam flak-cannons up each other's asses.

Seriously though, where else (other than Quake) are you going to find a pure twitchy arena shooter these days? TOXIKK attempted to be that but that was dead on arrival, sadly. Not that UT2004 was bad, it's just that, there's more shooters who do that kind of thing already.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Worgen said:
I think you're confused, you're clearly trying to say Twin Enforcers and a shield belt, but now matter how many times I read it that's not what you typed.

Oh well, all will be redeemed by a nice spread of rockets, here they come on a platter of GES Goo and 90s particle effects.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
Worgen said:
Cowabungaa said:
Worgen said:

Tanks and flying things are to be found aplenty in Battlefield and Planetside. UT is for the bunny-hopping spazzes among us who like to jam flak-cannons up each other's asses.

Seriously though, where else (other than Quake) are you going to find a pure twitchy arena shooter these days? TOXIKK attempted to be that but that was dead on arrival, sadly. Not that UT2004 was bad, it's just that, there's more shooters who do that kind of thing already.
They aren't as much fun as they were in ut2004. Plus they really fit the game since normal weapons could damage them so you actually had to play carefully with them.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
UT2004 with Ballistic Weapons Mod for me on non-vehicle-maps, especially with a M50 mounted somewhere and a live-feed of that cam ON YOUR GUNS VIEWMODEL.
Or just cut people into pieces with a staff-mounted saw.
Or use a laser gun that shoots three types of lasers (single blast, shotgun blast or solid beam) or could turn into a sniper.
Or have a rapid fire rocketlauncher with two magazines at 50 rockets each.
Or use a flaregun-turned-grenade-launcher
Or a double-barrel shotgun with a 10 round magazine (good luck hitting anything beyond short range - but what you hit, was as good as dead).
Or...

I should stop before I install that sucker again.

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
I'm sure this was ported to CSS ages ago, and I think that's essentially what it turned into. Was fun backstabbing the bastards though!

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
They have the old map. But UT4 has the remastered best version. <3

If this thread gets a lot of replies though, I'll post a thread with a super geeky analysis' of each main entry UT game.

Bindal said:
UT2004 with Ballistic Weapons Mod for me on non-vehicle-maps, especially with a M50 mounted somewhere and a live-feed of that cam ON YOUR GUNS VIEWMODEL.
Or just cut people into pieces with a staff-mounted saw.
Or use a laser gun that shoots three types of lasers (single blast, shotgun blast or solid beam) or could turn into a sniper.
Or have a rapid fire rocketlauncher with two magazines at 50 rockets each.
Or use a flaregun-turned-grenade-launcher
Or a double-barrel shotgun with a 10 round magazine (good luck hitting anything beyond short range - but what you hit, was as good as dead).
Or...

I should stop before I install that sucker again.
You should keep going. BW can't ever have too much love. I did talk to the devs about doing a version for UT4, but if they do do it, it will be a paid mod now since as a full-blown dev team now, they need to be paid somehow.

Cowabungaa said:
Or that one castle-esque level, also known as flak-cannon heaven, with this song:

That's DM-Peak. And that was crap-your-pants hard in the ladder because by the time you got there, the bots were all scaled up to Godlike or close to.

Yeah though. UT99 had one of the BEST soundtracks I've ever heard in a game. No joke. And that's saying something since I've played a metric ass-ton of games. It's right up there with Skyrim's and The Talos Principle's soundtrack.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
Jesus Christ, I fucking hated Facing Worlds. Why is it that all the maps that are goddamn garbage become 'Classics'?

De_Dust...
Facing Worlds...
Dys_Vaccine...
NS2_Summit...

Cowabungaa said:

Are you talking about Phantom? I remember that having a different soundtrack other than Razorback. I liked Deck 16, and Phobos the most. I also loved the Assault Gametype. Sadly, it was so short-lived.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
not deck
not red October
not hyperblast
not even bloody joust

over a decade later and people have found new ways to spam ****ing face

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Arnoxthe1 said:
You should keep going. BW can't ever have too much love. I did talk to the devs about doing a version for UT4, but if they do do it, it will be a paid mod now since as a full-blown dev team now, they need to be paid somehow.
I wouldn't object to that - for a pure weapons mod, those guys developed a ton of background story and I would be really interested in exploring that more. Maybe even deliver a singleplayer campaign to show of that one massive war they mention several times.
If that ever gets released in paid form, I'd pay for that. Maybe 30? or so, certainly not full price. But I would pay for it.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Bindal said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
I wouldn't object to that - for a pure weapons mod, those guys developed a ton of background story and I would be really interested in exploring that more. Maybe even deliver a singleplayer campaign to show of that one massive war they mention several times.
If that ever gets released in paid form, I'd pay for that. Maybe 30? or so, certainly not full price. But I would pay for it.
Yeah, that would actually be super awesome. I've always thought the weapons would make for some very awesome weapons for a standard single-player FPS campaign.