You Can Play Pac-Man In Google Maps

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
You Can Play Pac-Man In Google Maps

For April Fool's Day, Google Maps is letting Pac-Man fight ghosts on a street near you.

Say what you will about Google, but one thing is clear: <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129903-Google-Designs-Doctor-Who-50th-Anniversary-Game>The company has a pretty good sense of humor. For last year's April Fools Day, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133388-Google-Maps-Launches-Actual-Pok-mon-Mini-Game-For-April-Fools>it even turned all of Google Maps into a giant Pokémon hunting ground. Now Google is showing April Fools Love for video games yet again - by letting you play Pac-Man in your own neighborhood.

That's not a joke: If you visit Google Maps right now, you'll notice a small Pac-Man image in the bottom-left corner of the screen. Click on that and Google Maps will transform a portion of your map view into a Pac-Man match, complete with ghosts, fruit, with edible dots along the streets.

Pathways leading away from the map automatically route to a street entrance from the other side of the screen, letting you play countless variations pulled from anywhere on the planet. The obvious thing to do is type in your own address, but once that's finished why not punch in New York's Times Square? Anywhere Google Maps has access to with a minimum number of roads is an option.

Not only is this a fun diversion, it's probably the closest we'll see <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134174-Adam-Sandlers-Pixels-to-Begin-Shooting-Will-Hit-in-2015>to Pixels actually playing out on our own streets. If it's anything like the Pokémon mini-game, it'll likely run until April 2 - lots of time to try and rack up a high score.

Source: Engadget

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Abit early for April Fool? Also depending on the map, the level could be a disadvantage.

Overall, it's a nice step up from the other Pac Man game on their logo (which was fun).

MattTHM

May 1, 2012
They did the same thing with Ingress, which is making the game slow as hell. Glad it's only one day.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
I wish they would keep these games up beyond one or two games, be cool to come back and play it again.

Stg

Jul 19, 2011
Seems Phoenix Arizona is a perfect Pac-Man style board due to the massive grid-like streets. I tried it in a random place and it turns out, I can navigate a freeway/turnpike about as good in Pac-Man as I can in an actual vehicle.

Oddly enough, I went to Google Maps earlier today and didn't even notice the icon in the bottom left corner.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
harryhenry said:
FalloutJack said:
It's nice, but they could've at least given us some sound...
Just click the stereo button in the top left. The sound's off by default.
And just like that, all my problems melt away.