You Can't Handle The Depth

Blazing Hero

Feb 20, 2015
Morti said:
Blazing Hero said:
Most modern day pachinko machines are hooked up to lcd monitors which play out stories while you score points. A lot of preexisting manga and games only continue their timelines on these machines. For example the Ranma pachinko machine basically plays the last few chapters of the manga that never got animated and provides the actual ending to the anime. The same is true with Evangelion where the story is continued across Pachinko Machines only while you play. So if you want to see the story continue you are stuck having to gamble tons of money on 9 separate machines with a new one being released practically every year.

Now getting back to Silent Hill, the pachinko machine is going to be based on Silent Hill 2 so it would be expected in Japan that there would be new scenes and situations added to that story. But be aware that usually what is added is god awful. To give you an example of what to expect check out some of these scenes Capcom put in the original Resident Evil Pachislo machine. Its actually pretty damn funny,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CgbQnI_oeA

Edit:
Here's another one just for fun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBRtkccCXms
So... it's not really continuing the story with the machine, it's a poorly animated pay-per-view cut scene that happens to be on the machine?
It all depends on the machine. For example lets look at Ranma 1/2. The anime series never showed the last few chapters of the manga and about the only way to see the resolution in anime form is by playing pachinko. Watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wFBPfjihAk

As you can see it isn't really that cutscene based but more along the lines of watching a full anime episode. Unfortunately it is random and varies from machine to machine.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Blazing Hero said:
Morti said:
Blazing Hero said:
Most modern day pachinko machines are hooked up to lcd monitors which play out stories while you score points. A lot of preexisting manga and games only continue their timelines on these machines. For example the Ranma pachinko machine basically plays the last few chapters of the manga that never got animated and provides the actual ending to the anime. The same is true with Evangelion where the story is continued across Pachinko Machines only while you play. So if you want to see the story continue you are stuck having to gamble tons of money on 9 separate machines with a new one being released practically every year.

Now getting back to Silent Hill, the pachinko machine is going to be based on Silent Hill 2 so it would be expected in Japan that there would be new scenes and situations added to that story. But be aware that usually what is added is god awful. To give you an example of what to expect check out some of these scenes Capcom put in the original Resident Evil Pachislo machine. Its actually pretty damn funny,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CgbQnI_oeA

Edit:
Here's another one just for fun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBRtkccCXms
So... it's not really continuing the story with the machine, it's a poorly animated pay-per-view cut scene that happens to be on the machine?
It all depends on the machine. For example lets look at Ranma 1/2. The anime series never showed the last few chapters of the manga and about the only way to see the resolution in anime form is by playing pachinko. Watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wFBPfjihAk

As you can see it isn't really that cutscene based but more along the lines of watching a full anime episode. Unfortunately it is random and varies from machine to machine.
Last few chapters? The anime stopped a quarter of the way through...Though that is somewhat interesting.

Also, my last post was meant to be making fun of Eva and Anno, probably should've put that disclaimer in it.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Here's the big difference that people who ridicule Eva's random merch don't realize. It's fine to make that stuff if it's not to the EXCLUSION of the main thing the people who like the franchise are there for.

If eva wants to make cellphones and soy sauce and whatever else but keeps making the anime movies and stuff too, there's nothing wrong with that. It doesn't cheapen the meaning of the actual story to have Rei on a steak sauce box. If anything Eva is quirky enough to be able to handle this. Also the anime fanbase is full of collector types so the fans most likely appreciate having these items to one degree or another. Show me ONE silent hill fan who is happy about this slot machine.

Silent hill is not like that. They flat out canceled the actual proper game and then came up and made this slot machine thing as their PRIMARY product. You should be able to realize how that's not the same.

2cool4u

Feb 24, 2014
Laugh all you want Grey, but we are getting new content while your guys at Konami, those awesome heroes, shot down a collaboration with Kojima and Guillermo del Toro. Also, Anno still holds the rights to his own work while the former Team Silent has been divided and are basically wage slaves inside a merciless corporate machine.

But it doesn't matter, right? I'm sure those guys at Team Silent can make some excellent iPhone games about cute anime girls, I like to imagine that they found their calling.

IOwnTheSpire

Jul 27, 2014
You want the depth?! YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE DEPTH! No depth-handler you! Bah, I deride your depth-handling abilities!

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
At least you can make the separation between the Silent Hill games and the bloody pachinko machine, Fire Emblem is quickly devolving into a cosplay, animu wet dream... GOTTA SELL THOSE FIGURINES, RIGHT!?

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Blazing Hero said:
Haha nice. There are actually about 9 different Evangelion pachinko machines used to continue the story. Fans of that series have been shit on for years.
Considering the amount of shit Anno had to put up with from psychotic fans sending him death threats, I enjoy the image of some crazed otaku having a panic attack that he needs to leave home to visit the pachinko hall just to continue his obsession.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
You know, on the one hand I get what you're saying. On the other hand, I am not a Silent Hill fan and I hate how Konami is treating the series.

This isn't the same as Vegeta selling Ramen [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXVBvn7hmBk][footnote]You're welcome, Escapist![/footnote] or Batman themed sheets. Those are little things. At worst, they are advertisements taking advantage of the series's popularity and at best they are made for the fans to enjoy. One can ignore them and still enjoy the source material.

But with Silent Hill, Konami canceled a game that would be the first in years. A game that looked incredibly promising with something of a dream team working on it. And then, they turn around and give us a pachinko machine. This would be like if Square decided to cancel the FF7 remake and give us FF7 themed soft drinks instead. That would totally be just as good, right? Wouldn't seem like a sucker punch to fans, at all.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
As an iDOLM@STER fan, I may have unwittingly supported this nonsense when I was in Japan by dropping 10,000 yen into an iM@S pachinko machine..... as a long time anime fan I'm thoroughly used to this, and was quite surprised to see the internet freak out over Konami making a pachinko machine. Especially Jim Sterling. I was kinda like "I thought this was common knowledge." I guess it's not.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
So does that mean we'll get Solid Snake body pillows and Ocelot will start pimping shaving cream? <.<

I would be cool with that, IF I could trust that Konami would still make good games for the franchise, but.....Yeah, no chance.

Especially if those things that Jim said about their development structure are true.

Anyway, Erin's face at the end is adorable, and the joke is funny. :D Good work!

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
Man, the line art in this strip is tight. I like Erin's profiles! Still haven't watched Evangelion but can only assume fans were happy to get more tie-ins.

VanQ said:
As an iDOLM@STER fan, I may have unwittingly supported this nonsense when I was in Japan by dropping 10,000 yen into an iM@S pachinko machine.....
10,000 yen? Isn't that, like...100 dollars?

Did you get some swag or was it meant to be an experience or something cool like that?

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Malbourne said:
Man, the line art in this strip is tight. I like Erin's profiles! Still haven't watched Evangelion but can only assume fans were happy to get more tie-ins.

VanQ said:
As an iDOLM@STER fan, I may have unwittingly supported this nonsense when I was in Japan by dropping 10,000 yen into an iM@S pachinko machine.....
10,000 yen? Isn't that, like...100 dollars?

Did you get some swag or was it meant to be an experience or something cool like that?
When I saw the iM@S pachinko/slot machines I just had to try them because of the novelty. I had enough spending money on that trip that I justified it to myself as an interesting experience. Where else can you play slots with cute idols right?

chocolate pickles

Apr 14, 2011
Difference being silent hill was once good, so it's fall to this level is what causes half the anguish. Evangelion was always shit, so it becoming even shitter doesn't matter much.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Dreiko said:
Here's the big difference that people who ridicule Eva's random merch don't realize. It's fine to make that stuff if it's not to the EXCLUSION of the main thing the people who like the franchise are there for.

If eva wants to make cellphones and soy sauce and whatever else but keeps making the anime movies and stuff too, there's nothing wrong with that. It doesn't cheapen the meaning of the actual story to have Rei on a steak sauce box. If anything Eva is quirky enough to be able to handle this. Also the anime fanbase is full of collector types so the fans most likely appreciate having these items to one degree or another. Show me ONE silent hill fan who is happy about this slot machine.

Silent hill is not like that. They flat out canceled the actual proper game and then came up and made this slot machine thing as their PRIMARY product. You should be able to realize how that's not the same.
Ok, 3 things quickly:

1. I completely agree personally.
2. There are more and more people who despise the expansion of an already commercial successful franchise, instead of that it's about the quality that often gets dragged down with/by the produced quantity. Quantity, and to that extension pachinko machines, are not the problem, the quality is, like for example the non-existence of Silent Hill(s/5). But people just hate for the sake of hating, and because it's becoming a trend to simply hate capitalism per se, not the issues themselves.
3. I fucking forgot.

dragoongfa

It's the Krossopolypse
Apr 21, 2009
Wait a sec is this about the Evangelion Panchikos, body pillows, shitty product placements or the ridiculous new movies?

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Basically every anime-related thing needs to show viable paraphernalia marketability so that it'll get approved to be made, everything gets figures and other ads and pillows and posters and cups and whatnot, it's not an issue unique to Evangelion.

The issue is when they focus on those to the point of not making the actual "thing" any more and just milking its name for product placement to the exclusion of new content. (which is what konami is doing to silent hill and castlevania right now)

2cool4u

Feb 24, 2014
Dreiko said:
Basically every anime-related thing needs to show viable paraphernalia marketability so that it'll get approved to be made, everything gets figures and other ads and pillows and posters and cups and whatnot, it's not an issue unique to Evangelion.
But-but-but muh artistic integrity! Je suis an ARRRR-TISTE and if you put your art on merchandise then you're a FILTHY MATERIALIST PLEBEIAN thus not worth of being a real scotman artist because real artists never compromise for money.

*loses his rights to Silent Hill, becomes an underpaid intern at Konami, lives in a manga café*

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
In my head, Evangelion Shirt sounds like Ronaldo from Steven Universe.