You Can't Play CoD: IW's Windows 10 Version With Other PC Versions

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Well the matchmaking heavily interacts with the steam platform, of course it won't work with other versions.
It's why my gog version of armello is a single player game while the steam version has matchmaking.

Borty The Bort

Jul 23, 2016
Zulnam said:
Whoever's at fault, it's a sad day to see PC players divided like this. Hopefully this will die out soon and not become the norm, but hey, that's what I hoped about microtransactions as well.

And look at us now.
I see another excuse for people to be fanboys in the near future. *sigh*

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
008Zulu said:
Hang on, people actually buy games from the Windows Store? I tell you, if I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I would not be more surprised than I am now.
I have Gear of War 4 on the windows store. Although I got that for free with my GTX 1070, so I don't know if that counts.

Apr 5, 2008
UWP is really, really scary. MS is attempting to bring the iPhone/Play Store walled-garden system onto PC so they can sell software and take their 30% cut. It is accepted on smartphones for whatever reason, and on console, Sony and MS have their hardware locked down, and that we don't argue with. But PC has always been an open platform. Any PC user can and should be able to source their software from any developer without having to go thru Microsoft.

UWP however, and this game is the ultimate example, is the antithesis of that. MS are trying to take over software distribution on Windows, probably because they might just able to. By being the sole source of such software distribution, they want to tie people into their ecosystem. The fact that there are two different PC versions is disgraceful beyond my ability to express in words. It's a repugnant atrocity and a blight on PC gaming the likes of which I haven't seen for years.

They took away our ability to host our own servers, in the interest of letting MS/Sony control all multiplayer interactions on their platforms, unlike CoD4 where players could run their own dedicated servers. Now it goes further, the same game having TWO incompatible walled gardens. Not only no dedicated servers, but two sets of publisher run ones, controlling the lifecycle and interactions of the game and splitting the audience in two: those locked into Microsoft's new walled-garden and everyone else.

This is a horrible development whose like I have never seen before on PC. To call it a travesty doesn't do it enough justice. I beseech PC gamers to avoid UWP/Windows 10 store version like the plague that it is, if not boycott the game entirely. Do NOT give them your money and allow this to continue in the future.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Denamic said:
I have Gear of War 4 on the windows store. Although I got that for free with my GTX 1070, so I don't know if that counts.
No it doesn't, you bought a 1070, Gears 4 just happened to happen for you. You dealt with the Windows store in the optimal way, you gave it no money but got stuff out of it, feel sorry for the poor buggers who paid to set up accounts.