You Can't Play The Witcher 2 On a Non-NTFS HDD

aaaaaDisregard

Feb 16, 2010
Actually it's slower to have thousands of small files with resources instead of a big one - so many API calls for opening those files are pretty expensive from performance standpoint, while with one file you can manage the content inside it any way you like. And it takes MUCH longer to install so many little files than a single big one.

FAT32 is long since dead - its limitation on file size doesn't even allow large movies to be stored on such a partition. NTFS is better in many other ways (faster search, meta-data storage etc), and it's the default file system for Windows 2000, XP, Vista and 7. Who in their right mind would even think about using FAT32 now on anything but thumb drives? And even there I tend to use exFAT or even NTFS because of the file size limit.
Sacrificing performance, installation speed and development convenience for a very-very small number of users would be really stupid.

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
Treblaine said:
Baneat said:
Treblaine said:
Orekoya said:
Treblaine said:
I've built my own PC and I have no idea about this distinction.

How do I know if my drive is NTFS or FAT-32?!?!

Vista enough??
Uh... NTFS and FAT-32 are the format file system of the drive, if you built your own computer you would have had to format the drive before installing the OS. That's like saying I can build an car engine but I don't know what oil it will use.
All I did was plug in the Hard drive (and all other components), insert the Windows Install disc and... install.

Never mentioned FAT-32 or NTFS as options in the windows Install.

I never actively did any formatting before Windows installed itself. When you install windows on a drive does it format the ENTIRE drive to NTFS?!?!

See THIS is how easy it is to build a PC people... I built one without even knowing what I am doing.

BTW: my PC runs perfectly, all the performance that I ever wanted :D
It would only become apparent if you had the desire to change it.
It?

Change what? The Operating system or the Drive?

Or are you being general, like upgrading components, because that's fairly well standardises, the only tricky part is power and I guess also airflow.
"Never mentioned FAT-32 or NTFS as options in the windows Install." When you start the install it has a prompt at the beginning about the partition of the drive where it'll format the drive. If you did the default option, it would've been NTFS then more than likely. It's been the standard file system for Windows since 2000/XP. The easiest way to verify this is to right click over (My) Computer, click manage, and go to disk management.

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
That's like saying Windows 95 can't run Battlefield 3. Not really surprising.