You cheap bastard!

JoshGod

Aug 31, 2009
were not called cheap were called tight. and i dont see how you can be 'cheap' for not throwing away your own food etc? if i came into your house and got rid of all your food would you call me wasteful yes?

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
JoshGod said:
were not called cheap were called tight. and i dont see how you can be 'cheap' for not throwing away your own food etc? if i came into your house and got rid of all your food would you call me wasteful yes?
Sure, but we're talking about getting rid of your own food.

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
Mr. Moonshine said:
Its not cheap, its called "getting your moneys worth". Which I am so guilty of...
Exactly. You pay for it, so why throw stuff out before yo need to. Penny pinching, well, I don't know, I'll buy another one eventually, but hell, I'm not going to spend money on stuff I don't need right away.

I can spend that money on VIDEO GAMES!!!

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Erja_Perttu said:
Mr. Moonshine said:
Its not cheap, its called "getting your moneys worth". Which I am so guilty of...
Exactly. You pay for it, so why throw stuff out before yo need to. Penny pinching, well, I don't know, I'll buy another one eventually, but hell, I'm not going to spend money on stuff I don't need right away.

Kiefer13 said:
I fail to see why fully utilizing the product which you paid for is somehow cheap.
Let me put it this way. Do you throw away the candy bar wrapper when you buy a Snickers bar? Why? Aren't you going to save it and get your money's worth?

Cyanin

Dec 25, 2009
Because i don't actually buy the things in my house, i have to scrape out the last of the toothpaste and ketchup while people go through the process of forgetting to buy, then buying more.
It's not really because they're bad people, but waste is a bit of an issue you know. =P

Ganthrinor

Apr 15, 2009
I'll use toothpaste until it's a hassle to get any out of the tube. I'll use Mayo until I can't get a decent butter-knife blade out of the jar. I'll scrape the sides, sure, but I'm not getting out the rubber spatula to try and get every atom of Mayo out.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
I use as much as I can, I often waste things but I'm not wasteful, or cheap

Kiefer13

Wizzard
Jul 31, 2008
Queen Michael said:
Erja_Perttu said:
Mr. Moonshine said:

Kiefer13 said:
I fail to see why fully utilizing the product which you paid for is somehow cheap.
Let me put it this way. Do you throw away the candy bar wrapper when you buy a Snickers bar? Why? Aren't you going to save it and get your money's worth?
What? I really don't understand what you're trying to say here. Assuming I bought a Snickers bar, it would be because I wanted the Snickers bar, not the wrapper. The wrapper is merely packaging, and not what I paid for. Besides, what possible use could it be?

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
Kiefer13 said:
When it gets to the point of spending two minutes or more straining a bottle or tube, despite having a new one on the counter right in front of you, that's what i'd consider cheap. You're stressing out over forcing a tiny bit of the item onto your food, brush etc. Ever tried to squirt ketchup on chips, but had the thing scattershot all over the plat and yourself because there is no actual ketchip in it, just the dried up manky bits at the top that splatter all ov er the place from the air you compress out when you squeeze it? That's what i mean.

Edit: In relation to your response to Queen Michael, consider this; say you buy a ketchup bottle that runs out of ketchup. Do you save all the little ketchup packets you get from fast food establishments to squeeze out and hoard into that bottle you paid for to 'get your money's worth'? After all, the stuff is free as opposed to buying a new bottle...

My Grandmother used to do this actually, but i think it was from the old WW2 mentality of having to save every little thing and make it last.

Varrdy

Feb 25, 2010
I abhor waste when it's not necessary. If I buy something that is consumable, which can be anything from bread to washing up liquid to toothpaste, then I make sure I use it all. I might have bought a fresh pack/tube/loaf/bottle/whatever when the "old" one was running low (or expired - I'm lazy!) but I will empty / use up one before I start another.

Wether or not you can afford to be wasteful is a moot point as you're wasting money as well as wasting produce. Even when I am left with a bunch of empty containers (and other waste) I have them all recycled (where possible) and my mother keeps things like vegetable leaves, used teabags, leftovers and bad fruit to make compost for her allotment (Vegetable plot).

I'm not being holier than though when I say such things, nor do I think I am any better than anyone else (even when I turn off the sodding TV that no-one is watching because no-one is in the room and yet it's been left on!), I just don't like waste. It's pointless, costs money for no reason and in many cases it's so easy to avoid that it seems daft not to!

Wardy

Angerwing

Kid makes a post...
Jun 1, 2009
Queen Michael said:
Erja_Perttu said:
Mr. Moonshine said:

Kiefer13 said:
But he said he threw his stuff out when they started to get low. That implies that there's still a fair few brushes left. That's wasteful. A more apt analogy would be throwing away the last bite of the Snickers bar.

Chechosaurus

Jul 20, 2008
I wouldn't call that being cheap. I just get the impression that you're too lazy to squeeze another couple of brushes out of your toothpaste tube. Being a student and therefore monetarily challenged, getting the last drop out of everything is important. If I don't have enough money to buy any toothpaste for a week, then I have to go through all the "effort" to squeeze some out of my current tube.

w-Jinksy

May 30, 2009
cheap people annoy me you only live once why horde away all your spare cash it's stupid buy something and enjoy yourself.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
Depends on how much effort is involved in being "cheap."
If I have to stick my hand down a drain for a nickel, then I'll pass. But if it comes to squirting out all the toothpaste, then I'll do that.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
Native Americans living in the great plains had a great appreciation, and near worship for the Buffalo. When they would slay one of the beast, every part of the animal had a purpose. From meat for food, to bones for art and tools, to leather for clothes, everything was used, and nothing went to waste. Even the internal organs were used.

It was not because they were afraid to be wasteful, but because they had such an amazing awe of the beast that they felt it was their duty to use everything they could from such a magnificent animal. It was an honor to them to have this creature as a bountiful blessing, and so they sought to respect that animal in every way, shape, and form.

I don't think that's cheap.

But if you take tons of extra mustard packets and ketchup packets from restaurants because you don't want to buy a new bottle, that is cheap as hell.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Queen Michael said:
I'm not too cheap to buy new shampoo and toothpaste, I'm too lazy.
Me too. Not too lazy to spend a couple of minutes coaxing every last bit of toothpaste from a tube, but definitely too lazy to actually walk to the shops and buy more.

GhostKnifeFish

Aug 19, 2009
Gralian said:
Do you try to coax out that last drop of tobasco sauce
I once drank a bottle of tobasco sauce for a dare once. I love that stuff.

In answer to the question I just buy a new whatever when I think its too much of a pain in the ass to completely exhaust it.

Radiationsickman

Jul 29, 2010
This christmas my grandmother prepared an meal for all of us,
the dessert was ice cream, as i sprayed whipped cream on my ice cream it came out sloggy,
at the moment i didn't think about it because it had an christmas action sticker on it.
While eating it i found out it tasted horrible and found blue and green bits, after doing this i splurted out my ice cream and looked at the bottle, the ice cream was ONE YEAR old.
I told my grandmother about it and she told me it was perfectly fine and i got another bowl of ice cream with new whipped cream. (she ate the old one while lecturing me about how she is 85 and still alive while eating this stuff).

Afterwards i looked back to my youth when when my parents still had a bakery, i was at her house after school and ate there everyday when i was too young to care for myself!

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Kiefer13 said:
It has nothing to do with the money for me, its getting the most use out of it before i need to go get some more of something. It makes sense and its easier to use the same thing over and over rather than buy a new one each time. Its more convenience that i make sure everything is used fully.