YOU decide what manga I'll buy!

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I need new manga to read, so recommend me the best manga you can think of. All genres are fine, I only have a few conditions:

1. There must be an official print version of it in English. I can't read manga on computers or iPads. I just don't work like that.

2. When I get paid, I'll go and buy the very first manga someone recommends that I haven't read yet. You know, unless the library has it. No matter how bad it is, I will get the first book and I will read it.

3. Nothing by Miki Aihara. I hate her manga. Quality-wise, it ranges from bad to spawn of Satan.

So go ahead! Recommend something nice!

Queen Michael

Jun 9, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
How do you feel about Shounen Manga? Because I have gotten up to date and it is amazingly funny.
To quote an enormous number of JRPG characters, "???" Isn't shounen manga a genre? How can you be up-to-date with it?

And concerning Deadman Wonderland, thanks but I've already read the first two books so it's not new to me.

Queen Michael

Jun 9, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
Queen Michael said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
How do you feel about Shounen Manga? Because I have gotten up to date and it is amazingly funny.
To quote an enormous number of JRPG characters, "???" Isn't shounen manga a genre? How can you be up-to-date with it?

And concerning Deadman Wonderland, thanks but I've already read the first two books so it's not new to me.
Ugh, sorry, typed it in a hurry, Beelzebub, a gag manga that does have some serious parts and is paced greatly, its a gag manga so it doesn't take itself too seriously and neither should you!

Will edit post.
Beelzebub, hm? I'll check it out, but I won't be able to buy it or get it formt he library since it lacks an official English release, so any other recommendations are still welcome from you and everyone else.

Queen Michael

Jun 9, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
Queen Michael said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
Queen Michael said:
TizzytheTormentor said:

Ugh, sorry, typed it in a hurry, Beelzebub, a gag manga that does have some serious parts and is paced greatly, its a gag manga so it doesn't take itself too seriously and neither should you!

Will edit post.
Beelzebub, hm? I'll check it out, but I won't be able to buy it or get it formt he library since it lacks an official English release, so any other recommendations are still welcome from you and everyone else.
There is also D Gray Man, it starts out as a typical Shounen Manga, but it really grows its hairs once it reaches the arc (won't spoil)

Ever read Shaman King? Excellent Manga (anime was okay) It ended badly at first, but the author made a conclusive and good ending to it later, also has a good sequel called Shaman King Flowers.

There is also Berserk, while I myself haven't read it yet, I have heard nothing but high praise for it.
D. Grayman: Read it when I was in college. Good stuff, and I've been thinking about rereading it for a while.

Shaman King: I'm not a fan. I read the first sixteen books, but it just didn't interest me at all.

Berserk: I'm almost done with my recent Berserk binge. I've only got one book left.

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
I've always thought Bakuman was a very enjoyable read. From the dear people behind Death Note, Bakuman is a manga about two teens... making a manga. I've seen you around these parts a lot, and I know you love manga, so if you're ever wondering about the manga industry and the DRAMA (and fun!) behind it all, give it a spin!

...if you haven't read it already that is :p

Queen Michael

Jun 9, 2009
ZehMadScientist said:
I've always thought Bakuman was a very enjoyable read. From the dear people behind Death Note, Bakuman is a manga about two teens... making a manga. I've seen you around these parts a lot, and I know you love manga, so if you're ever wondering about the manga industry and the DRAMA (and fun!) behind it all, give it a spin!

...if you haven't read it already that is :p
Not all of it, but I have read volume 1-10.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Alive the Final Evolution though around here most places stopped carrying it so DNAngel would be next on great series you may not have read. Or Natsume Yuujinchou, that series so so relaxing.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Rave Master was my first proper Manga series. Looking back it's not really that great but if you want a decent Shounen with some fancy weapon and character design and a fun if not somewhat bland and cheesey story I'd recommend it.

Tahaneira

Social Justice Rogue
Feb 1, 2011
Claymore?

It's about half-human half-monster women with impossibly huge swords who fight shapeshifting monsters that hide amongst humans so they can eat them. At least, at first. The plot doesn't so much change swiftly as it does extremely. The author is very fond of twists, and of having there be far more to everything than what he is showing. It's very serious; there are only a few characters who are consistently funny, and there isn't much in the way of jokes. Also, there's a lot of blood.

As for quality? I can't speak to it being a great manga (I think it is, but I digress), but I certainly enjoy it far more than 95% of the other manga I have read.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Kodomo no Jikan. Oh wait, you can't buy it, because NO EXPORT FOR YOU!

Boku no Futatsu no Tsubasa, or in English, My Two Wings. Actually I don't know if it has an official English version. :p

Go forth, young man? Woman? I forgot. Sorry.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Have you read Girlfriends? It's a pretty alright Yuri manga series (complete with only 2 volumes: 34 chapters) where the love interests are actually capable of acting like friends in addition to romantic interests.

Gunslinger girl also finished recently. It's a character-focused political action manga series about a secret Italian counter-terrorism unit that uses cyborg girls to carry out their will.

I know wandering son finished recently and got an English release. It's a pretty cool story about a boy and a girl who are both coming to terms with their sexuality.

Also, Tezuka's Adolf got the first two volumes out. It's about the 3 Adolfs: A jewish german boy living in Japan, a German-Japanese son of an army officer who's his best friend, and Hitler. A pretty compelling war story.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
I need to know something first. What are your feelings on fanservice and fanservicey covers? Because I've got one that's fantastic (great story, characters, writing, etc.), but it's also pretty notorious for having lots and lots of fanservice and risque covers and make reading it in public a no-no.

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
Give Red River a try. The entire series is out in English, released by Viz media. The two people I recommended it to so far got sucked right in and read the whole thing as quickly as they could. (Personally I thought that the quality dropped a bit after volume 7, but it was still very good.)

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
There is Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei,though I don't remember if all the volumes were released. Still a fun dark comedy either way.

Hidamari Sketch is really funny. Can't really say why it's just really funny.

Kare Kano:A decent romantic comedy from what little I have read.

Hope I'm not just listing things you've already read.

Queen Michael

Jun 9, 2009
TakerFoxx said:
I need to know something first. What are your feelings on fanservice and fanservicey covers? Because I've got one that's fantastic (great story, characters, writing, etc.), but it's also pretty notorious for having lots and lots of fanservice and risque covers and make reading it in public a no-no.
I recently created a thread where I specifically asked for fanservicey manga, so that's fine. :)

UncleUlty said:
There is Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei,though I don't remember if all the volumes were released. Still a fun dark comedy either way.

Hidamari Sketch is really funny. Can't really say why it's just really funny.

Kare Kano:A decent romantic comedy from what little I have read.

Hope I'm not just listing things you've already read.
Sorry, mate, but you kind of are. :)
Yesterday I finished the last Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei volume to be released in English, I finished Kare Kano years ago, and I bought the entire Hidamari Sketch a couple of months ago and I'm halfway through it.