You Don't Exist if You're Not on a Social Network

Crazy_Dude

Nov 3, 2010
I went years without any form of Social Network and I turned out fine. Now that I have my own page I just dont care about it anymore. I just dont understand fellow classmates who spend multiple hours of their day on social network sites.

Sparcrypt

Oct 17, 2007
Why would I care about what teenagers think?

I'm 26 and my job is IT - I'm online more then most and I agree that anyone who doesn't use the net is indeed out of the loop. But there is plenty of life on and off the net.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
I'm sorry, since when did anyone expect teenage girls to be anything other than completely naive?

Also, from the article;
Look for warning signs. If your child is regularly staying home ?sick? from school and spending the entire day on the computer, if they choose to be online more often than out with friends, or if their grades are suffering because they are distracted by technology
This describes what I was doing with my life back in 2006-07. Not on facebook though, on a forum not too dissimilar to The Escapist. It's not an issue caused by Facebook, stop calling for it to be killed just because you don't understand how people find it to be useful. It's actually pathetic how hypocritical some of you are.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
I tweet therefore I am.

It is aproblem that kids spend such a large portion of time on sites like facebook but I find that kids, especially teenagers have skewed priorities when comes to things like this. Hopefully most teenagers do learn to balance facebook with the important things in life.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Wow!

I guess that finally explains why the council in Mass Effect still believes the Reapers do not exist! No Facebook page!

"Ah yes, 'Reapers'. The immortal race of sentient starships allegedly waiting in dark space. We checked Facebook and we have dismissed that claim."

GRYPHOM

Jul 30, 2010
smithy_2045 said:
I'm sorry, since when did anyone expect teenage girls to be anything other than completely naive?

Also, from the article;
Look for warning signs. If your child is regularly staying home ?sick? from school and spending the entire day on the computer, if they choose to be online more often than out with friends, or if their grades are suffering because they are distracted by technology
This describes what I was doing with my life back in 2006-07. Not on facebook though, on a forum not too dissimilar to The Escapist. It's not an issue caused by Facebook, stop calling for it to be killed just because you don't understand how people find it to be useful. It's actually pathetic how hypocritical some of you are.
Although we may be a bit hypocritical, it's still very unhealthy. Hell, sitting down's unhealthy. Human beings are designed to be hunter/gatherers and to be active, not sitting down for most of the time. Yes, it would be impractical and impossible to change this completely, but maybe if we change and encourage these girls to change a bit on a day to day basis, like taking walks or biking or whatever, then maybe it'll be better. Don't kill it, that's too extreme, but don't support it either. Take a passive and calm approach to it. It'll make the world better.

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
And *certain people* think that they should be mating.

<- is untouchable because <- does not exist.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
so if i were to delete FB i would disappear?
but its good the idiots dont care about learning. get rid of them and you literally have about 5 people.
but its also kind of sad. one of them says they'd do things online they wouldnt do offline because they feel safer. heres mine: come out and like MLP. i also check every new program for spyware and malware and dont put too much info online.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
If that the case than my parent don't "exist" but I see them everyday. Beside some people don't use their real image (using anime, cartoon and shows character etc) or real names so therefore that "fake person A" is real?
I wouldn't say you don't "exist" if yu don't use Facebook more like "hidden" or don't care for Facebook.

The Coop

Nov 11, 2009
Cool.

Does this mean I'm partially off the grid? Because, you know, only those who aren't connected to everything, everywhere will have a chance when the machines rise up and go Maximum Overdrive/Terminator on us.

At least, that's what my ball-point pen tells me.

Apollo45

Jan 30, 2011
Notice how the quotes are from ten females between the ages of 13 and 15? Not exactly a good sample size, especially for "teens" which consists of both males and females spanning ages 13-19.

Also, am I the only one who laughed through the entire article? There are some things on there that may be "true" in some sense of the word, but for the majority of people that isn't the case. I know a couple people like that, who have to be friends with everyone because they need to be the most popular.

Guess what? Most of their friends don't like them all that much.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
None of my kids are on Facebook or anything like that. They think it's a waste of time.

My youngest follows her singers on Twitter thats about it.

They prefer going out with friends and i'm quite happy about that. I don't know how i'd feel if they wanted to stay hom on the PC all day.

subfield

Apr 6, 2010
Not only do I think that the statement is right to first order, I think it will continue to be right for some time to come.

Arguing otherwise is like putting your finger in your eye, eating a cupcake, and claiming that the world is a diademed tiger on the back of a giant moose.

LordFisheh

Dec 31, 2008
I call bullshit. look at the title - '10 things you don't know about teens and social networking' - just the phrasing indicates that the whole thing is written for parents who don't really understand the net, and clearly the article is just to serve as oh-my-god-my-children! scaremongering.

I mean really, the opinions of a few handpicked teenagers hardly reflect an entire generation. But oh my god the children with their loss of family values and replacement of real life with the internet is not a big truck but a series of tubes they'll be rioting in London soon...

Besides, even if those people did represent the majority, in my experience it's quite easy for people who do have half a brain to associate with people who aren't empty headed teenage stereotypes. And in fairness to the people quoted, there's a good chance that half of them have been taken out of context or otherwise played with and so aren't as stupid as we're led to believe.

Tldr - Middle-age-middle-class-won't-somebody-please-think-of-the-children scaremongering =/= reality.

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
King of the Sandbox said:
I'm glad people like that think I don't exist. It'll make the assassinations that much eas...-I mean, cake making for them, that much easier.
Wait a second.....What type of cake?

Anyway I call bullshit[Previous two words where ninja-ed] on this. Facebook, Twitter and all those other sites are the worse place for socializing. You can't tell who is lying and if they who they really say they are.