You Don't Scare Me

randyesquire

Nov 12, 2009
Almost anything with whimpering babies in it.....oh dear.
when i was about 15 years old i played the first silent hill, in my bedroom, perched on the side of the bed, about a foot away from a little 14" Sony 'portable' television (haha, portable!), lights out, curtains shut, volume up high.

Creeping around the first few hours of the game, finally reached the school, and having only got through the front entrance, i find toilets to the left and right hand sides (same layout as my primary school, no kidding, this had me creeped out ALREADY!) i took a look around, knowing full well i wasnt going to like what i found.
first toilets, mens i thought (best be decent about this), found nothing.....dont do this to me Konami!
second set of toilets (why am i doing this, i ask myself...)
"whimper"
"whimper"
"sob"

RIGHT, LIGHTS ON, im not having this! CONSOLE OFF!
whats on telly.
i know im getting NO sleep tonight.

dont think ive been quite AS scared by a video game since, possible due to growing up, maybe i dont play in the dark enough?
i got CLOSE when i played Dead Space, in the dark, on my own, that was a good few hours of initial immersion, and im glad i did it.

randyesquire

Nov 12, 2009
wow, i replied directly to the main article and the FIRST thing that i thought of was the crying girl in silent hill, and when i comment, i see im just TWO comments down from someone who mentioned that girl as well!
spooky?
not as spooky as that girl.....
im not getting ANY sleep tonight either now!

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Well, since Shamus said that the recent REs are survival comedy and I believe that includes RE4 as well I am not going to mention anything from there. My first scare on the PSone was when I played Heart Of Darkness. Around the beginning of the second stage, I ended hanging from a breaking branch, just above the mouth of a monster. The monster scared the shit out of me. Mainly because I did not know what it resembles. It was just a giant mouth. At least the part I could see. I didn't even want to imagine what the rest would look like. The puppets in Devil May Cry also creeped me out.

Remzer

Provider of Nutrients
Jul 29, 2009
randyesquire said:
Creeping around the first few hours of the game, finally reached the school, and having only got through the front entrance, i find toilets to the left and right hand sides (same layout as my primary school, no kidding, this had me creeped out ALREADY!) i took a look around, knowing full well i wasnt going to like what i found.
first toilets, mens i thought (best be decent about this), found nothing.....dont do this to me Konami!
Oh, yeah.

Silent Hill 1 and its "there's nothing in here" moments scared the bedjeezussez out of me.

I remember getting in the school's locker room on the "good" side. There's this one locker door that's moving and banging, and you know something's in there. You know something will jump out, and it's gonna be bad, but still, you reach for the locker and out pops a cat. The anticipation culminates and explodes as the "meeeowww" screaches out of your (by then) cheap TV set.
But then you get on the "bad" side of the school. "The Worse School". And back in that locker room you go. And sure enough, the locker's still banging, still moving. I'm with a friend, so it's no biggie. I'm expecting something dark and terrifying. He's expecting just a "zombie cat", or something to that effect. "Bang" goes the locker door. Character gets closer, closer, reaches for the door...

But there's nothing inside. Should I be relieved? Should I be relieved that a banging door was concealing nothing? No, sir, because I know damn well that no "nothing" in this world can bang a door this good. There had to be "something" in there. Right?

...right?

That was it for me, anyway...

Worthy of mention, a couple Alma appearances in FEAR 1.

kelleth

Feb 1, 2010
Old thread is old?

The original Shadowgate for the NES is, in my opinion, the most terrifying game ever.

acegikmoqs

Mar 1, 2010
Oddly, although I agree with what you said, my scariest gaming moment WAS one where I died repeatedly. Metroid Fusion the first time you encounter the SA-X horrified me. I could literally feel my heart rate go up. Then I freaked out and started mashing buttons ineffectively. I died and played it agin. same result. And again, and again, and again. I finally managed to keep my cool long enough to survive, and on my third play through the game I was ready enough to do it on my third try. This level of gut-wrenching fear was on par with the time I saw a train coming down the tracks I was standing.

moress

Nov 8, 2010
Hands down the Haunted Ocean House from Vampire the Masquerade.
My friends even told me you pretty much can't die (which didn't stop me) but it was just so well done that I was freaking out the entire time.

Also when I was little I could never bring myself to finish the Shadow Temple in Ocarina of Time...

SmileyBat

Jun 14, 2010
The first time I went to the quiet little town in Fallout 3 at night with the shack full of butchered human body parts. Torsos were hooked like cow carcasses, limbs were in the fridge and trimmings were on some dinner plates in an obvious act of cannibalism. I exited the shack and all the town's residents were waiting for me outside, disquietingly still. The entire spectacle, enhanced by the fact that it was perfectly believable, was the single most creepy thing I've ever seen in a video game.

Theminimanx

Positively Insane
Mar 14, 2011
I had the exact same feeling as ChroniclerC (page 1 if you're wondering), only instead of in the space pirate base, the metroid facility in prime 3. It's pretty much the same as the situation in prime 1 only this time, you don't have the thermal visor, making the darkness a lot more effective. The fact that your trusty old ice weapons didn't do anything certainly helped too.

Living_Brain

When in doubt, overclock
Feb 8, 2012
Amnesia: Dark Descent. I only played 30 min. I haven't encountered anything yet. I had to stop playing the tension and fear was that great.