You got your Roguelike in my Zelda! The Binding of Isaac Giveaway

Louie Clark

Mar 31, 2011
So yesterday I gave away a copy of Tryst on Steam. Thanks for everyone who "entered" my little thing. Today, I am going to give away a copy of The Binding of Isaac. Let's talk briefly about the game to try to get people interested, and then I'll go in to how I am going to give this away.

The Binding of Isaac is a game from Edmund McMillen (Super Meat Boy, Aether, Time Fcuk, others) and friends. It plays a lot like the dungeon gameplay in the first Legend of Zelda (hey kids, I'm not talking about Ocarina of Time). The game has heavy roguelike elements. For those not familiar with the term, roguelike generally means that there is going to be a lot of randomization (and crying on your part). Dungeon layouts will vary each playthrough, as will the items you find and both the normal enemies you face as well as bosses and minibosses.

The amount of content is truly staggering. You will consistently unlock new items, levels, and characters. The different characters you can unlock almost behave as different classes. They usually just vary starting stats and have a different starting item, although a couple of the later ones have different traits. For example, your basic attack is crying. You alternate tears from your left and right eyes, and shots are slightly staggered. There is a character who has an eye patch, so all of his crying comes from one eye. It doesn't sound like much, but it can make a difference in how easy (or hard depending on which side of you they are on) it is to hit mosnters hiding behind rocks and things.

The art style is cute, yet uses disturbing imagery. The game also features a lot of enemies that are characters from other games McMillen has worked on. Gish makes an appearance, as does Stephen from Time Fcuk.

The level and boss unlocks will steadily increase the games difficulty, which is nice. Rather than through you into a nightmarish difficulty, which most roguelikes do, Binding of Isaac creeps it up at a nice pace.

The game is only like 5 dollars, and if you are interested at all and don't win it, you should really buy it. The amount of content and replay for the price is fucking amazing.

There is a DLC pack (Wrath of the Lamb, under 3 dollars) that adds about 75% more content, however if you haven't played the game I advise you don't get them together. The DLC will add enemies, levels, and bosses that make the game more difficult and might be too much for someone who hasn't gotten used to the game.

The games demo is on Newgrounds, so you don't even have to download anything to check it out. Here's the link: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/581168

---------------------------

So, if this game sounds like something you want, post a comment saying as much. At midnight tonight (mountain time) I will pick a person at random, and gift you a copy. You will need a Steam account, and since this isn't a code I got from a developer, I'll have to add you to my friends list there for at least long enough to send you the gift.

Also, if you enjoy McMillen's work, you should look up The Basement Collection on steam. It is a collection of most of his free flash games, but with some new content and it's 3.99 price tag, it's not a bad deal at all.

To all interested parties, good luck.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Sure iv'e always wanted to try this game out . Even yahtzee liked it ( i think ) . Not having a credit card makes it hard to buy games on steam , they really need a prepaid card thing to buy in stores . My only games on steam is portal and limbo . One was free the other was a gift i won on this very site . Hopefully i win again! But good luck to all the participants . Unless i'm the only participant , then well good luck to me!

Steam account : Jokar69

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Sure, why not, nothing wrong with a highly-rated free game. The only game I've got on Steam is Portal from when it was given away.

Steam account: shandy4life (you can tell this was made a while ago =P)

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
I already have the game, I just wanted to hype it up a bit :3

TONS OF ITEMS! RANDOM GENERATION! CRRAAAZZZZZZY BOSSES!!!!!!
Start the game with nothing but your own tear and take down the greatest enemy in the game with a laser beam that posions the enemies. Venture deep beneath your house into the basement, the caves, the depths, or even...the Necropolis! Battle enemies ranging from little tiny worms to regenerating zombies. Bosses of crazy proportions that will test your patience, will power, and strenth.

Are you ready to see if you can break the Binding? The Binding of Issac!

nyttyn

Sep 9, 2008
I'd like to try out, but I'm a broke ************. This giveaway seems like the perfect oppertunity.

Steam: NyttyN

Xenotechie

Sep 30, 2010
Sounds interesting, I have to admit. Time to come out from the shadows I lurk in in these forums and post a comment.

Here's the steam profile [http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198043669483]

jollybarracuda

Oct 7, 2011
I really wanted to get this game when it was on sale yesterday, but since i had just bough GW2 a bit ago i decided against it. Though i've heard such great things about it i'd love to give it a shot.

Steam name: jollybarracuda1024

Louie Clark

Mar 31, 2011
The game is really amazing, and I wish I had picked up more than three copies when it was on sale. Two were for friends, but I have a feeling one of them isn't going to play it. Next time it drops to 75% off I'm gonna pick up like ten copies and just hand them out.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
krazykidd said:
Sure iv'e always wanted to try this game out . Even yahtzee liked it ( i think ) . Not having a credit card makes it hard to buy games on steam , they really need a prepaid card thing to buy in stores
If by "pre-paid card" you mean a debit card, Steam is fine with those. I use one.

Louie Clark

Mar 31, 2011
Okay, we're done here. I will be messaging the winner as soon as I get home to my PC. I'm on my phone right now, had something come up. Yay real life.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Louie Clark said:
Okay, we're done here. I will be messaging the winner as soon as I get home to my PC. I'm on my phone right now, had something come up. Yay real life.
So who won?

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Congrats to whoever won. Isaac is a great game that will absolutely devour your attention even if a single play through takes an hour at the abolsute most. If you're looking for a good idea of what the game is all about, or need some tips on how to get started in playing, I would suggest checking out NorthernLion on youtube. He's been doing a Let's Play since the game first came out (it's at about 300 episodes by this point) so he generally knows what he's doing.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Cool of you to give this away for free :)

I already had this game even if the contest wasn't over, but this was a really fun game for me, even though I majorly burned out on it during the steam holiday sale trying to get the achievement to get the coal :(

I've still never actually beaten the game even though I have 20 hours on it... It's very hard