You have 11 hours to back the System Shock 1 Reboot.

Mar 26, 2008
Where does all this money go? I know that the list of credits in most AAA games is as long as any motion picture, so I'm assuming most of it is spent on wages. It's not like they have to go out on location and film (maybe to capture textures), or build actual sets, or hire a sound stage.
I'm just curious because it seems not unusual these days for a dev to ask 1 million plus to create a game.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Programmed_For_Damage said:
Where does all this money go? I know that the list of credits in most AAA games is as long as any motion picture, so I'm assuming most of it is spent on wages. It's not like they have to go out on location and film (maybe to capture textures), or build actual sets, or hire a sound stage.
I'm just curious because it seems not unusual these days for a dev to ask 1 million plus to create a game.
40-80 grand a year per employee. Maybe a 120-250 thousand for office space with utilities and taxes and furnishings and all that jazz.

Nightdive Studios seems to have about 10 employees. So that's about 600 thousand. So... 720 thousand a year? Something like that. Then contracting out for additional art work, engine licensing, sound engineering...

chrissx2

Sep 15, 2008
Wages, adverts, soft, hardware and upkeep costs. 1 milion for game like that is actually not much.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
AccursedTheory said:
40-80 grand a year per employee. Maybe a 120-250 thousand for office space with utilities and taxes and furnishings and all that jazz.

Nightdive Studios seems to have about 10 employees. So that's about 600 thousand. So... 720 thousand a year? Something like that. Then contracting out for additional art work, engine licensing, sound engineering...
And noting that a fraction of that is relevant to actually making the game unless they're considering to expand. This isn't some recent start-up developer even though their portfolio is shit in comparison on what they're planning to make.

If their business is bad, this kickstarter will make-up a good portion of their income. If their business is good, then it'll look good on the papers and whether they piss away the money will down to them.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
josemlopes said:
AccursedTheory said:
Looking at that pic thank fuck they didnt get those stretch goals, that is how something simple as a faithfull remake gets fucked when the ones doing it have to bring new stuff. Its lost time and money to do something that honestly isnt likely to have the same quality, and the whole process of creating and testing that new stuff is much more expensive then just adapting.

Only the mod tools were actually a cool stretch goal, the rest I think it would fuck them in the long term.
Seeing those stretch goals, I have to second this. And even then, i'm stil not warming up for this remake. The remake may ruin the atmosphere if it is not a 1 on 1 remake.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Poetic Nova said:
josemlopes said:
AccursedTheory said:
Looking at that pic thank fuck they didnt get those stretch goals, that is how something simple as a faithfull remake gets fucked when the ones doing it have to bring new stuff. Its lost time and money to do something that honestly isnt likely to have the same quality, and the whole process of creating and testing that new stuff is much more expensive then just adapting.

Only the mod tools were actually a cool stretch goal, the rest I think it would fuck them in the long term.

Seeing those stretch goals, I have to second this. And even then, i'm stil not warming up for this remake. The remake may ruin the atmosphere if it is not a 1 on 1 remake.
Heads up, the atmosphere is being deliberately changed. They said the original intention was to make the game more horror based, focusing a lot of your isolation and claustrophobia, but the tech wasn't able to carry that at the time. They've cited Bioshock and Dead Space as things they were originally aiming for, and will be now that they have a better engine and such.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
AccursedTheory said:
Poetic Nova said:
josemlopes said:
AccursedTheory said:

Heads up, the atmosphere is being deliberately changed. They said the original intention was to make the game more horror based, focusing a lot of your isolation and claustrophobia, but the tech wasn't able to carry that at the time. They've cited Bioshock and Dead Space as things they were originally aiming for, and will be now that they have a better engine and such.
Well, if it is more a la System Shock 2/Bioshock gameplay wise I wouldn't mind it that much. I'll be keeping a open mind on this until more is shown I suppose.

felbot

May 11, 2011
oh boy another fucking reboot of an old classic, this time it will be good im sure of it!

nah its gonna be trash, honestly I didn't even like systemshock 2 that much but if I did I would probably be livid that they turned the first one into a shit.

SqueezetheFlab

Jul 30, 2016
mad825 said:
Didn't back, not going to back. I'm not "kickstarting" anything until there's something worth backing, A remake? *sigh* and the Stretch goals are pretty shoddy. You guys can be the guinea pigs, I'll buy it later down then line cheap on Steam.
That kind of attitude is what we need more of. Not being sarcastic. No remakes. Get some fucking innovation and make something nobody has ever seen before!

Tired of remade movies. Remade games. Remade franchises... fuck it all. Stop buying remade shit, people!

Mar 26, 2008
AccursedTheory said:

chrissx2 said:
Wages, adverts, soft, hardware and upkeep costs. 1 milion for game like that is actually not much.
Thanks to both of you. Colour me informed.

Plus those dev kits don't pay for themselves I guess.

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
Poetic Nova said:
This is why I'm not backing it. I played the demo and while it looks nice, it does not feel right and the orchestral music is completely wrong for System Shock.

Level 7 Dragon

Typo Kign
Mar 29, 2011
SqueezetheFlab said:
mad825 said:
Didn't back, not going to back. I'm not "kickstarting" anything until there's something worth backing, A remake? *sigh* and the Stretch goals are pretty shoddy. You guys can be the guinea pigs, I'll buy it later down then line cheap on Steam.
That kind of attitude is what we need more of. Not being sarcastic. No remakes. Get some fucking innovation and make something nobody has ever seen before!

Tired of remade movies. Remade games. Remade franchises... fuck it all. Stop buying remade shit, people!
People have been remaking and retelling stories since inception. All of folklore is based on countless reimagining of the same events, so don't expect anything to change. Period.

SqueezetheFlab

Jul 30, 2016
Level 7 Dragon said:
People have been remaking and retelling stories since inception. All of folklore is based on countless reimagining of the same events, so don't expect anything to change. Period.
Wrong. Edgar Allan Poe and H.P. Lovecraft would like to have a word with you. Hell, even Stephen King wrote about some radically different stuff.

Our ability to reimagine things from square 1 is what sets us apart from other animals. Regurgitating the same tired idea, just so people try to feel the same thing that they did when they first experienced it is simply greedy.

However, the people who buy these things are what bothers me the most. Don't they realize they will get the same thing if they fall for it again and again?

Are they really content with the same old crap? The answer is yes and this newfangled lowering of expectations for innovation is what sets this generation apart from older ones.