You know what (gaming rant)

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
Sod Final Fantasy 7.

Yeah, you read that right, sod Final Fantasy 7, I wish they'd make Final Fantasy 8 again. The game keeps drawing me back to it, I get obsessed with it, complete it in a week or so, then leave the game until something triggers my desire to play it and not put it down again, however during that time I'll read fan fictions, write fan fictions, watch "Dead Fantasy" on youtube.com over and over. FF7 doesn't have this effect, it's to miserable, it's all dark and grungy, FF8 is set in a (almost) paradise for the first part of the game, then into a dank and dungeon like castle at the end. There's just something about 8 that captures my imagination more than 7, I prefer the characters, they seem more realistic (even though their schooled mercenaries changing the world in their late tees, but ignore that), I can't put my finger on it, Final Fantasy 8 is more than likely my favourite game of all time, but I'll admit 7 is a better game, (probably because of peer pressure because I can't think why apart from I though Sephiroth was awesome), but not 10, 10 sucked and so did 9, X-2 and 12.

Final Fantasy 8 has a X-factor with me, it resonates with me perfectly to the point of destruction (bonus points if you get what that means). But no-one else see's it. everyone else talks about 7 or 9 or 10 or any of the prequels I've never played so can't say anything about. FF8 never gets a mention, why? I just don't get it.....argh!

[/rant]

That feels strangely better....

RogueDarkJedi

Dec 28, 2008
I also want to throw out how odd the FF numbering scheme is. I mean, there are like what, 12 FF7s?

I don't know. I actually don't play Final Fantasy.

fedpayne

Sep 4, 2008
I broke my X button playing VIII.

But it was my favourite too; I always just assumed because it was the first Final Fantasy that I played. Was that the case with you?

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
8 could have been so much better if the end wasnt the disaster it is.

My fave FF are 6,9 and 10.

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
Not a fan of Turn Based games. I play Tales of Symphonia everyonce in a while, but other than that I never really play FF

Aleate

Mar 24, 2009
I played all the way through VII, and i liked it a lot. I bought a copy of VIII, played up to the part where u fight the robo-spider with the time limit, and whenever that guy with the tattoo used draw, it would freeze my game and I had to start from the last save point. I threw the copy in the trash after the 4th time in a row it happened XD
*Edit*
Wait, after that it was WHENEVER ANYONE used draw. It was just the guy with the tattoo in that fight thou. I ended up just reading the story on Wikipedia lol

Good morning blues

Sep 24, 2008
I disagree! Final Fantasy VII charmed me with its memorable characters and fascinating setting. Some parts of the plot were really dumb, but I appreciated the dark, imposing, impersonal world of Midgar and the overpowering likability of Cloud, Aeris and the others. I didn't like the combat, but I've never liked JRPG combat. Part of it is probably nostalgia, because I played it back when I was 7 or 8 or so, but it still holds a special place in my heart, and I usually go back to it every few years.

I also own Final Fantasy VIII, and even though I also played it when I was around the same age, it never made the same impression upon me. It lacked the character and charm of VII. I can only name four of the playable characters from memory, and none of the NPCs. I only very vaguely remember the concept or the plot. I do remember liking the combat even less than I liked its predecessor's. I also didn't like the graphics as much, despite the greater detail; I thought that blocky characatures had much more personality than more humanoid but undetailed and pixelated models. I have only attempted to play it twice: the first time, I stopped when I was pretty close to the end, and the second time, I stopped after about an hour of play.

I guess you have the opposite reaction! That's ok, but we're clearly never going to convince each other.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
NoMoreSanity said:
zeldakong64 said:
NoMoreSanity said:
FF 7 and 8 are overrated, as 6 is the the best of the FFs in my eyes for its wondrous characters, pacing, and gameplay.
6 is becoming just as overrated as the rest of the series in my opinion. Everyone who wants to praise a game in the series besides 7-9 immediately goes for 6. I'm not saying your opinion isn't valid, I'm fine with it being your favorite, I'm just saying that liking 6 isn't very original anymore.
I like 6 mainly because the characters are likeable unlike Cloud-"WAAH MY LIKE SUCKS"-Strife. I never had to grind in that game, and I just like it a whole lot. Call me overeactive and a fanboy if you will, though I stand by my opinion.
6 is the best FF before the 3D era. Before 6 5 is also good and 4 had the epic Clash at the Big Bridge. And the boss in 4 had a stupid name ExDeath(really couldnt you get a better one?)

Da_Schwartz

Jul 15, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
FF 7 and 8 are overrated, as 6 is the the best of the FFs in my eyes for its wondrous characters, pacing, and gameplay.
This is very true. 6 or FF3 if your in the U.S. is and prob and will be the best overall FF game. Best story, roster, and VILLAIN period. But it doesn't make 7 a bad game by any means.

*impatiently awaits the "nu uhh seph is way cooler then kefka" comment....then anger will ensue.

gmer412

Feb 21, 2008
oliveira8 said:
NoMoreSanity said:
zeldakong64 said:
NoMoreSanity said:
6 is becoming just as overrated as the rest of the series in my opinion. Everyone who wants to praise a game in the series besides 7-9 immediately goes for 6. I'm not saying your opinion isn't valid, I'm fine with it being your favorite, I'm just saying that liking 6 isn't very original anymore.
I like 6 mainly because the characters are likeable unlike Cloud-"WAAH MY LIKE SUCKS"-Strife. I never had to grind in that game, and I just like it a whole lot. Call me overeactive and a fanboy if you will, though I stand by my opinion.
6 is the best FF before the 3D era. Before 6 5 is also good and 4 had the epic Clash at the Big Bridge. And the boss in 4 had a stupid name ExDeath(really couldnt you get a better one?)
Nonononono. 5 has the big bridge and Exdeath (what a terrible name for a boss). 4 has Cecil and Kane and Rosa.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
gmer412 said:
oliveira8 said:
NoMoreSanity said:
zeldakong64 said:
NoMoreSanity said:
Nonononono. 5 has the big bridge and Exdeath. 4 has Cecil and Kane and Rosa.
Oh right! My bad.

NoMoreSanity said:
Da_Schwartz said:
NoMoreSanity said:
This is very true. 6 or FF3 if your in the U.S. is and prob and will be the best overall FF game period. But it doesn't make 7 a bad game by any means.
It's not that I hate 7 (Seeing as I've never played it, it would be rude to call it shit) but I hate the fanboys for it that defend it so. And Aeris' death scene was not remarkable.
Aeris death made wonder why did I bother leveling her in first place...