You know what I liked about Dragon Age?

BeeRye

Mar 4, 2009
MetaMop said:
Point taken. But I stand by my frivilous trivial opinion!
I agree it's probably annoying if you're into detail, but I never really even thought about it 'til you mentioned it. I was far too busy getting constantly smashed for making my first playthrough of the game on nightmare :D

Akihiko

Raincoat Killer
Aug 21, 2008
MetaMop said:
Akihiko said:
Well. If I'm honest when it comes to Japan. Their prices are similar. A video game is like 8,000 yen. Consequently it isn't odd that they would use that kind of pricing in their games as well.

Also other games have used Bronze, Silver and Gold. World of Warcraft uses it too if I recall correctly. Guild wars used miltiple levels of currency too.
Sorry if I sound ignorant here, but do you only have yen in Japan? Is there a hierarchy of value or is it just yen?
Ah, I'm not Japanese, so I'm not entirely sure. I believe they used to have subunits, but because the value of the yen dropped against most other currencies I think they were dropped. After it would just be overcomplicating things since the yen is worth quite little to begin with.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
KEM10 said:
I loved that part. I had multiple saves running just to see it through and when to end it and their reactions when I did. It was great.
I think I was saving up for something at the time, and when we reached the end and the conversation started over again I was pissed off that they'd hoovered my cash and I'd gained nothing. Bloody elves.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
MetaMop said:
Yeah, that annoyed me as well. Niko acting like he was destitute while he has 700k literally in his pocket. "I don't know if I should do that deal, Kate." He says. Screw you, Niko!
I could live the rest of my life in luxury on a fraction of the money I got in GTA4.
And he was so fucking emo all the time! "Oh, life is so shit, I am so miserable, I am haunted by my dark past while I drive my luxury sports car to a beautiful woman's house to have sex with her, wearing an expensive suit with thousands of dollars in the pocket! Woe is me!"

God damn it, man, if you're going to have such an awesome life then at least have the decency to enjoy it...

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
punkrocker27 said:
I think WoW beat 'em to it actually.
The MUD I play has been running a similar system for at least twelve years, but I never played before that so I'm unsure :p

they also do the same thing for the eight or nine distinct currencies that are currently in use in various areas of the world. The difference being that your coins don't magically change, like when you collect 100 pence they become a dollar - you're still lugging around 100 pence and those bastards weigh a ton when you have high numbers. You need to go change them at a moneychanger, or bank them. I like that it's realistic, but if you're not paying attention you end up carrying tons of coins, being unable to dodge attacks, and dying :-/

MetaMop

Jan 27, 2010
SonicWaffle said:
MetaMop said:
Yeah, that annoyed me as well. Niko acting like he was destitute while he has 700k literally in his pocket. "I don't know if I should do that deal, Kate." He says. Screw you, Niko!
I could live the rest of my life in luxury on a fraction of the money I got in GTA4.
And he was so fucking emo all the time! "Oh, life is so shit, I am so miserable, I am haunted by my dark past while I drive my luxury sports car to a beautiful woman's house to have sex with her, wearing an expensive suit with thousands of dollars in the pocket! Woe is me!"

God damn it, man, if you're going to have such an awesome life then at least have the decency to enjoy it...
I knew there was a reason I couldn't like Niko, and you've shown me. He's an emo douche, sobbing while he's surrounded by big american tee-tees and bowlink rings.

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
Well, that system makes sense, but I'm unsure if any currency system in the history of ever has used 'copper, silver, gold' as the actual names of their currency. Pretty much all of them have had actual names.

Markness

Apr 23, 2008
Of course something is off when your 100 coppers turn into a silver magically. Not exactly realistic.

Fire1052

Dec 25, 2009
Everquest has a copper (1), silver (100 copper), gold (100 silver), and platinum (100 gold).
WoW has a copper (1), silver (100 copper), and gold (100 silver).
Dragon Age has a bronze (1), silver (100 bronze), and gold (100 silver).

This is nothing new.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
I liked that as well. Other games have had that before, but it doesn't matter. It's simple and clear.

In games like Diablo II (where 5 and 6 looked so similar it was very annoying), Titan Quest and such where you're carrying gold/coins in the units of hundreds of thousands, you occasionally have to take another look if it's 55555 or 555555 you're about to waste.

It's not that big of a deal, but Dragon Age: Origins' way of handling currency is better.

Wutaiflea

Mar 17, 2009
I don't mind having a reasonable inventory limit, or having to pay cash into some kind of storage thing, but overly complex space/weight/etc arrangements piss me right off.

Just thinking about Diablo's inventory system pisses me off... there with your level 30+ character, literally having to line every spare scrap of floor in Tristram with heaps of gold you can't carry. Considering how much some of the top end equipment sometimes cost, it was retarded.

"I can't carry any more".... ARGH!

It might not be realistic, but I like the Dragon Age concept of money being ethereal little numbers that in no way relate to your pockets.

The Admiral

Jul 23, 2008
All money has been magically enchanted to weigh nothing. Now keep your physics out of my fantasy :p

Ascarus

Feb 5, 2010
MetaMop said:
It's just something that bothers me for some reason. Try carrying 40,000 pieces of gold and see how far you can walk. Or do these fantasy worlds have banks and credit cards?
the same thing could be said of your backpack which is loaded with armor, equipment, supplies, reagents, potions, quest items (which can be VERY large in some cases), etc ...

but i agree the idea of carrying around several thousand GPs is absurd from a real world perspective and i thought that Dragon Age handled the problem reasonably well ... perhaps more developers will follow suit.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
MetaMop said:
I knew there was a reason I couldn't like Niko, and you've shown me. He's an emo douche, sobbing while he's surrounded by big american tee-tees and bowlink rings.
He absolutely is, and for some reason almost nobody agrees with me on this. Niko's life is fucking sweet. There are very few problems that couldn't be solved by just getting rid of his idiot cousin. He's living the male power fantasy - he's rich, he drives fast cars, wears cool clothes, shoots guns and screws sexy women. He's a badass and everybody knows it.

Yet all he does is complain about how hard everything is for him, and how everything goes wrong for him. Tell you what, pal - you take all that cash you've earned and go build yourself a fucking mansion, fill it with hookers and blow, and then tell me how awful your life is.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I liked that, but it made me pissed whenever someone asked for 6 sovereigns. I can spare a few silvers, and ALWAYS was willing to give a few coppers.

But I will never, ever give anyone a sovereign.

STUPID PEOPLE! ASKING FOR MY MONEY!

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Casimir_Effect said:
I remember Spellforce did the same thing many years ago, they dropped it for the sequel though and just went with 'Gold'.

To be honest I prefer the single currency denomination method. Means I can ***** and whinge when games screw you over inventory space (Dragon Age, Diablo, Borderlands, The Witcher) yet allow you to carry hundreds of thousands of gold pieces. Inventory space and carry limits should be confined to the past or at least made optional, like having to identify items should be (and possibly has been). It's annoying and promotes micro-management in games which don't need it. The only people who enjoy that shit are the realism freaks, and they can mod it in for all I care.
Actually, I think the backpack was a good idea. It forced the idea of value into items - do you take the staff that gives you +5% fire damage, or the one that boosts your HP? You can't really take both, so you have to pick which you'll keep and which you'll sell. In a game with infinite carry capacity, you end up keeping everything just in case it becomes useful later on. There's very little realism involved in carrying several suits of armour in your packpack, but from the perspective of keeping the game interesting it's far better than carrying a hundred.

At least Dragon Age allows you to purchase backpack upgrades. I never really had much trouble with the space issue, TBH - when I got a better weapon that the one I was using, I equipped it and sold the old item. Unless you're at the very end of the game, a better one is going to come along in an hour or two anyway.

Requi3m

Jul 27, 2008
Why are you babbling about which game came up with that currency system when none of them did? The system of copper/silver/gold 100=1 comes from D&D and thus has been around for quite some time before above mentioned games ever existed.

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
MetaMop said:
It's just something that bothers me for some reason. Try carrying 40,000 pieces of gold and see how far you can walk. Or do these fantasy worlds have banks and credit cards?
i work somewhere where on a regular basis i have to carry sacks of quarters. there are 4,000 quarters that make 50 pounds.....all im saying is..if i had to carry 40,000 quarters around....500 pounds DOES NOT SOUND FUN....