You know what pisses me off? Nostalga worship....(rant-tasic)

dlsevern

Jan 2, 2011
Vault, I know exactly what you mean. I can't stand that shit either. I have had plenty of people tell me that there is not any good new music anymore, and I tell them that is total shit it is out there, stop being lazy and look for it.

dlsevern

Jan 2, 2011
Kukulski said:
There are genuine reasons for nostalgia. (my nostalgia at least)

1) Music goes downhill each year (with occasional spikes but the general direction remains the same)
2) The cartoons, oh god the cartoons.
3) The late 90s was the golden age of PC gaming
4) Each year more and more sensible movie ideas are used up, so movies like "Godfather" can only be made once.

On the other hand:

1) Despite all the CoD clones gaming has never been better, because there are more games in general and if you're like me and have the "if the graphics are good, great, if they suck, whatever" approach then you understand the appeal of this.
2) The emergence of high-budget TV shows like House or Game of Thrones was fucking sweet.
3) I didn't smoke weed when I was a child, so I didn't really know how to enjoy some things.
Can't agree with you about the music, I know better than that. Of course this all depends on what kind of music you like. If you only like 80's synth pop or 90's grunge rock, then no you probably won't like most of the new music because you are limiting yourself on what you listen to. I guarantee you though that if you look hard enough, you will find some music from today that you do like. I personally think that music stays at an even pace, doesn't go downhill or uphill. The only thing that changes is what is the most popular with younger audiences at that time.

Aurora Firestorm

May 1, 2008
Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal said it best, in my opinion: "Pop music peaked right when I was most emotionally vulnerable to trite love songs."

Expanded, I think this sums up why people gravitate to the media of their middle youth. For me, it was the 90s. Nostalgia is nice; it's a reflection of comfort. Many kids -- not all, but a lot -- grew up in a reasonably happy environment. What is the music you heard on the radio while you were skipping around in the park? What are the movies you watched with your friends, young and carefree? What was going on at the same time as you were innocent and happy, with none of the burdens and cynical sniping of the Real World?

Yep. 90s music. Or whatever decade you come from. Just about everyone has rose-tinted glasses; you tend to forget the bad crap that happens in life after a certain while, and yo8u remember mostly the good stuff. After so many years, your childhood probably seems like a golden ideal, and as such, so will everything in it. Your first non-kiddie video games, which were soooo amazing but in the end probably aren't actually any better than some of the modern games. Music you laughed to and angsted to as a teenager, which just keeps being redone in different styles and slightly different lyrics, but you swear it was better back then.

"The fabric of the universe just happened to unravel when they grew up." Yeah, it did. They got bitter and cynical and stopped enjoying things they liked as a kid. They Grew Up, with capital letters, and thus now they're nostalgia seekers looking to return to the happy moments of their youth.

...At least, that's how I see it.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Antari said:
Vault101 said:
Antari said:
siahsargus said:
Antari said:
Well I know in my case, I don't really have the opinion that the 80's were the best. I'm more of the midset that ANY time period would have been better than NOW.
Well you could be living in ancient Rome, china, the Victorian era, or during the reformation. Hell, until recently, I probably would have been shunned from most polite society for being a gay Irish German Jew.

I would rather be born sometime in the future then the past.

Music evolves, fashion evolves, science and technology become more advanced, things are more convenient, people are more tolerant. In the face of statistics, nostalgia for anything is downright absurd, if not completely ludicrous.
Well if I was in general living in those times, ya that'd kind of suck. But as far as the generations covered by gaming. Right now is about the worst its ever been ... the dark ages even.
any substancal proof to back up such a claim?

I mean there is the subjectivity factor

PLUS how come all MY favorite games are from this gen...with not many from the previous gen? if what oyu say was REALLY true then how do you explain that? am I just dumb or somthing?
There is still a factor for preference of gaming. If you like shooters ... the 80's wasn't a great era ... by any means. The type of games you like can make a major difference to the era you liked. My favorite games are stuff like Civilization .. turn based strat. Which is nearly the only surviving one. As well I play alot of RPG's .. which are story critical. When you can't sit back and rely on shiny graphics you have to get creative with your story to hold the interest of the reader, ask any author.

Not being in love with a particular generation of gaming doesn't make anyone dumb or smart. Its all personal preference. As well in my case a good number of these companies have given me good reason over the years not to treat them with anything approaching friendliness. So it can also fall to personal experience as well.
ah right you are

I admit I probably typed before I thourght...

but yes you make good points

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
dlsevern said:
Vault, I know exactly what you mean. I can't stand that shit either. I have had plenty of people tell me that there is not any good new music anymore, and I tell them that is total shit it is out there, stop being lazy and look for it.
oh god music.....there is NO logic when it comes to that

speaking of wich I can apreciate (more or less) all kinds

like just today I got Nicki Minaj's album "Pink Friday" (a guilty pleasure)

and now that its safley on my ipod, I'm going to hide it somwhere where NO ONE will ever find it

dlsevern

Jan 2, 2011
It's so funny but my dad has fallen in love with Lady Gaga's music, well her too, and he is 65 years old. I think that is really cool. I'm personally not a big fan of her music but I will put it this way, I don't turn the station when her music is on.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
There's this Swedish show called Nittileaks that reminisced about the nineties and what happened then in Sweden. I grew up in the nineties, and that show made me realize how much I don't want them back.

Jason Fayers

Jul 8, 2011
You know what's as bad as people who won't take nostalga goggles off? People who think everything that isn't new isn't worth a damn.

But yeah I do love it when people say that x from the from time period Y was the best, just bring up something that was rubbish and ask if they remeber it.

surg3n

May 16, 2011
I am equally annoyed by people who jump on every moderately decent movie as if it's the current best movie ever made... Avatar, Inception blah blah triffle. They are mostly pretty decent by modern standards, but I hold 80's movies in much higher regard, from an artistic and not made-by-a-computer standpoint.

I admit that I prefer a lot of things from my youth, movies especially. I watched Bladerunner the other day, and damn that's an awesome film, and it struck me that my top 5 movies are all pretty old. Aliens, Pumpkinhead, Bladerunner, Robocop, Predator. I've watched those movies dozens of times, and will watch them again. IMO Ridley Scott is an incomparable genius.
The last movie that I really did like was Gran Torino, I thought that was great, Clint Eastwood did an excellent job on that and he puts people half his age to shame. I enjoyed True Grit as well, and Smokin Aces, Death Proof. I'm not totally down on modern movies, but usually they need something old-school - an old actor, a traditional plot, old filming techniques.

I'm getting that way with TV as well, been re-watching LOST, because there just isn't enough on TV, no matter how many channels we have. For games, well ResidentEvil4 is my all time fave game, so I'm spoilt for remakes, HD versions, directors cuts... I still prefer the trusty old GameCube version though - RE4 doesn't need anything added to it.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
Vault101, I've got to ask, are you dyslexic or something? Because your profile says you're from Australia and you work in an office, but every post I see from you reads like a crime against the English language. If you're dyslexic (or something) no matter, but I have this tick that starts every time I read one of your posts, which is a shame because you generally write interesting posts - once I've deciphered them.

Sorry if I'm being rude, but I don't have it in me to phrase it more delicately right now. Aaaah, the tick is gone now. Good to get that off my chest.

OT: I like retro music more myself - especially 80s rock - so in that way I'm definitely nostalgic. Games however not so much. There were some awesome games in the 90s, but I'm quite enjoying most of the games I got past the 2005 mark, thank you.

But there will be hipster elitists in all things. Kinda like I was in the beginning of the post regarding your writing, Vault. So you're certainly free to ignore me about it, just like I ignore other elitists that annoy me =)

dlsevern

Jan 2, 2011
Kukulski said:
dlsevern said:
Kukulski said:
There are genuine reasons for nostalgia. (my nostalgia at least)

1) Music goes downhill each year (with occasional spikes but the general direction remains the same)
2) The cartoons, oh god the cartoons.
3) The late 90s was the golden age of PC gaming
4) Each year more and more sensible movie ideas are used up, so movies like "Godfather" can only be made once.

On the other hand:

1) Despite all the CoD clones gaming has never been better, because there are more games in general and if you're like me and have the "if the graphics are good, great, if they suck, whatever" approach then you understand the appeal of this.
2) The emergence of high-budget TV shows like House or Game of Thrones was fucking sweet.
3) I didn't smoke weed when I was a child, so I didn't really know how to enjoy some things.
Can't agree with you about the music, I know better than that. Of course this all depends on what kind of music you like. If you only like 80's synth pop or 90's grunge rock, then no you probably won't like most of the new music because you are limiting yourself on what you listen to. I guarantee you though that if you look hard enough, you will find some music from today that you do like. I personally think that music stays at an even pace, doesn't go downhill or uphill. The only thing that changes is what is the most popular with younger audiences at that time.
I wanted to write that there are branches of music where there is develompment like in niche electronic music, but in general music goes downhill. Pop relies on cheap shock value that isn't even shocking and melodies so simplified you might think the only "instrument" they used was a metronome. Rap is way beyond the point of being milked to death by clowns and the youngest prominent jazz musicans could be my father. Mainstream electronic music like rave and techno was replaced by some eclectic hipster bullshit and the next big thing is dubstep which gets really old really fast. But those are genres I listen to occasionally my main point is that Rock is dead. Sad, but true. And by rock I mean beasts like Led Zeppelin or The Rolling Stones not "that indie band I like". Shit, even having a few Nirvana-grade bands around would be good. Who do we have now? Jack White, but he's also getting old. Other than that there are bands like Kings of Leon who may know how to hold a guitar, but have their tracks so dully remastered you can play them in malls.
On your statement about how rock is dead. My answer would be what about Queens of the Stone Age, The Mars Volta, Eagles of Death Metal, The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, or The Black Crowes(an old band, but they recently came out with a great new album) to name a few. Rock is not dead and never will be, it just isn't the mainstream. I'm actually glad it isn't, I think rock is better when it is not in the limelight. When it is, you get crap like Nickleback or Buckcherry.

dlsevern

Jan 2, 2011
trollnystan said:
Vault101, I've got to ask, are you dyslexic or something? Because your profile says you're from Australia and you work in an office, but every post I see from you reads like a crime against the English language. If you're dyslexic (or something) no matter, but I have this tick that starts every time I read one of your posts, which is a shame because you generally write interesting posts - once I've deciphered them.

Sorry if I'm being rude, but I don't have it in me to phrase it more delicately right now. Aaaah, the tick is gone now. Good to get that off my chest.

OT: I like retro music more myself - especially 80s rock - so in that way I'm definitely nostalgic. Games however not so much. There were some awesome games in the 90s, but I'm quite enjoying most of the games I got past the 2005 mark, thank you.

But there will be hipster elitists in all things. Kinda like I was in the beginning of the post regarding your writing, Vault. So you're certainly free to ignore me about it, just like I ignore other elitists that annoy me =)
Seriously, 80's rock, the worst shit on the planet. Hell the 80's pop was better than that garbage. Any respect I could have had for you is now gone.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
dlsevern said:
Seriously, 80's rock, the worst shit on the planet. Hell the 80's pop was better than that garbage. Any respect I could have had for you is now gone.
I'm heartbroken, stranger on the internet. Be careful so you don't step on the shards of my broken soul on your way out.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
People have their rights to like something because they like it or don't. I hate Star Wars movies and I can't stand the tripe of Micheal Bay's movies. I like classic kung fu and samurai movies. I also like cheesy 80 - 90's action flicks like anything Arnold or Van Damme been in. I detest modern mainstream music. I grew up on 70's-90's Funk RnB and Soul. I liked the sound of Chiptune in the games I played. I like one player games or at lease local co-op and or versus. Over the whole multiplayer, teamwork, achievement whoring kinda thing in games today.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Fieldy409 said:
i think the best movies were made in the 1600s
No way, cave paintings from the horn of Africa are where it's at. Cities and settled humans ruined art, nomads knew what it was all about.

OT: I have nothing valid to add to the discussion beyond humour, I agree with OP.

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
Speaking of the 90's, you know what song i happened upon the other day?

90's really were the best.....