You like THAT?!

Sep 24, 2008
Because of my phenotype, I'm used to a lot of prejudgement. Hell, people don't even guess that I'm a gamer most of the times.

But for all of us, there's always that one bit of news that makes people completely shocked that you like that.

For me? One of the biggest ones is that I love Ben Folds. First, though, you have to find someone who actually knows who Ben Folds is. If they are old enough, you just have to hum a little bit of 'Brick' and they'll go "OOOOH. That guy?!"

Yes. I think he's great. He has something for every mood I feel. Even gangsta rap sung to piano.

What are some of the things that you love that, without fail, shocks someone else?

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
For me, it would have to be my love for Shiina Ringo's music, which was as much a surprise on my end as well as I don't really dig J-Pop nor am I heavy into Japanese media (though I periodically checkout an occasional anime and movie). Shiina's music is far beyond just pop music as she is a true artist writing and composing her music. The thing I realize that I must have in my music is near constant variety in what I'm hearing as I hate the same constant beat or chord over and over again. Anyway, the thing about Shiina is she utilizes basically every instrument and performs with an orchestra (or like a 10+ piece jazz-like band). She even created and fronted a rock band (Tokyo Jihen), which is the best rock since the likes of the Zeppelins and Queens because it was a true 5-piece band with great bass lines and a dedicated keyboardist as great bass and piano/keyboards are quite absent from just about any rock band from the 90s or later.

Here's a 3-song set from her latest concert:
https://vimeo.com/222798814

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Yes, any time I mention that I like Southland Tales I get some kind of response. Even more I get a gigantic reaction when I say I bought Metroid: Other M and didn't hate it. Other than being really heavy handed with the 'mother' and 'baby' symbolism, giving Samus regenerating health and destroying the difficulty, and completely botching an interesting side plot and gameplay mechanic with the 'deleter' side story... I found it to be a decent Metroid game.

Generalissimo

Your Commander-in-Chief
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
UK
My room naturally has a slight smell to it, which I rather like. like an animal marking it's territory, it's a "me" smell. but it's fairly faint. but without fail, most who walk in there act like it's full of mustard gas.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
I often had people suprised by the music I listen to.

I'm a huge fan of metal (black and doom metal in particular) always will be. But people most of the time don't expect me to like artists/musicians like Fats Domino, Enya, Kate bush, Talking Heads, etc aswel.

DarthCoercis

May 28, 2016
People are often surprised when they see my (rather large) collection of cheesy 80s pop cds (I'm a metalhead).

Side note: I had to look up what a "phenotype" was, so I learnt something today. Cheers, OP!

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Based on how I look most people wouldn't assume I build PCs and play D&D. People see my arms and assume I only care about guzzling protein.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
I'm a Supernatural Horror film and TV fan, and am known thus amongst my In Real Life friends.

One of my favorite shows?

Upstairs Downstairs (1971). Naturally.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Ponies, straight up.
I'm a martial arts/self defense instructor, weight lift, drink boiling whiskey and wrestle alligators. Yet I love me Pinkie's Smile song.

On the opposite end, something people assume I like but don't, MMA and boxing. Its just gratuitous violence and gives bad ideas about how to fight to kids and fans alike. Don't ever ever watch an MMA match and assume that's what any street fight will be like.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Well I'm pretty much feeling like that (the recieving end of it) with the upcoming film "Ready Player One". Really? Like 99.9 on here seen to have a negative reaction to it and yet I'm on the 0.01 end of it? -_-

I guess before that one was liking that punk/ rock (don't cared the definited gerne) band "The Ramsus" back in the 00's. My former High School friends were all into rock and punk bands and yet I was more into dance music (yeah it didn't went well me with the ridicule). Anyway it turns out the only few rock/ punk band that I did liked was The Ramsus which they actually loathe!

Oh and with the whole "You like WHAT" is my best friend loving that Adult Swim show "The Tim and Eric Show"! Ok granted I never said that out loud toward him, more like internally in my thought. We both hate The Family Guy and yet he like that show which I view the humour to be somewhat in the same tier to the Time and Eric Show. I still never told him that I hate that show!

Nov 28, 2007
Poetic Nova said:
I often had people suprised by the music I listen to.

I'm a huge fan of metal (black and doom metal in particular) always will be. But people most of the time don't expect me to like artists/musicians like Fats Domino, Enya, Kate bush, Talking Heads, etc aswel.
]

That's pretty similar to me. I like to say I'm into good music, not any one genre. However, my brother associates me with metal and hard rock, as that's what he's used to hearing me listen to. Cue surprise on his part that I not only am fully aware of who NWA and Eminem were/are, but consider "The Marshall Mathers LP" to be a fantastic album.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Another one for music. I like a wide enough variety, but I think people think I only like whiney emo type music. I definately surprised one guy for liking the Rolling Stones, and another for liking Smashing Pumpkins.

Also, cause I am extremely shy in person, alot of people seem to think I have nothing to say. But if someone talks to me about something I actually care at all about, then they find out thats not true.

Silentpony said:
I'm a martial arts/self defense instructor, weight lift, drink boiling whiskey and wrestle alligators.
Since my mental image of you is based off Nick Wilde from Zootopia, this really fucks with it.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
As a metalhead I've had people be surprised that I like Disney movies. I also got some surprised reactions when I said cooking is my hobby. Imagine a metalhead headbanging to heavy metal while cooking up a delicate dish for his girlfriend. Yup, that's me. :p

Sep 24, 2008
Silentpony said:
Ponies, straight up.
I'm a martial arts/self defense instructor, weight lift, drink boiling whiskey and wrestle alligators. Yet I love me Pinkie's Smile song.

On the opposite end, something people assume I like but don't, MMA and boxing. Its just gratuitous violence and gives bad ideas about how to fight to kids and fans alike. Don't ever ever watch an MMA match and assume that's what any street fight will be like.
Do you get the people who do the karate hands and make the "Kiai!" sound? Because I personally hate that when it happens.

I'm also fucking doing a Filipino Martial Art... There's no Kiais...

JUMBO PALACE said:
Based on how I look most people wouldn't assume I build PCs and play D&D. People see my arms and assume I only care about guzzling protein.
You want to make a support group? Major Armstrong can be our Mascot [http://fma.wikia.com/wiki/Alex_Louis_Armstrong].

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
ObsidianJones said:
Silentpony said:
Ponies, straight up.

Do you get the people who do the karate hands and make the "Kiai!" sound? Because I personally hate that when it happens.
Not Karate moves no, but I'll just be out or at a party, someone asks what my hobbies are, I explain to them about Krav Maga, and then they're all like "Show me something! Teach me how to defend myself!" as if the floor of a restaurant is a good place for that, or that I can do in 5mins what it takes years and years to learn...

Sep 24, 2008
Silentpony said:
Not Karate moves no, but I'll just be out or at a party, someone asks what my hobbies are, I explain to them about Krav Maga, and then they're all like "Show me something! Teach me how to defend myself!" as if the floor of a restaurant is a good place for that, or that I can do in 5mins what it takes years and years to learn...
God, I used to hate that when I was a personal trainer.

"Oh, quick, tell me how to get in shape!"

"Sure, quickly, tell me everything in your life that you're doing not to be in the shape you want to be!"

Doesn't win you any friends, but it does point out the silliness of the idea.

FrozenCones

Dec 31, 2009
ObsidianJones said:
Because of my phenotype, I'm used to a lot of prejudgement. Hell, people don't even guess that I'm a gamer most of the times.

But for all of us, there's always that one bit of news that makes people completely shocked that you like that.

For me? One of the biggest ones is that I love Ben Folds. First, though, you have to find someone who actually knows who Ben Folds is. If they are old enough, you just have to hum a little bit of 'Brick' and they'll go "OOOOH. That guy?!"

Yes. I think he's great. He has something for every mood I feel. Even gangsta rap sung to piano.

What are some of the things that you love that, without fail, shocks someone else?
"Still Fighting It" will forever be my favourite Ben Folds track. It never fails to strike an emotional chord with me and the music video adds an additional layer of "right in the feels.

Sep 24, 2008
FrozenCones said:
ObsidianJones said:

"Still Fighting It" will forever be my favourite Ben Folds track. It never fails to strike an emotional chord with me and the music video adds an additional layer of "right in the feels.
That last sorry.

It's heartbreaking. I'm sorry that you have to deal with all of this, I always wanted the best for you. But also, I'm sorry you're like me. I remember how it felt being me in your shoes. And I'm sorry being my son means you have to have the same pains.

A father apologizing to his son for that. It really still brings tears to my eyes.