You like THAT?!

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
Generalissimo said:
My room naturally has a slight smell to it, which I rather like. like an animal marking it's territory, it's a "me" smell. but it's fairly faint. but without fail, most who walk in there act like it's full of mustard gas.
My room is apparently cold as fuck. The stupid heat duct is broken, so it never really warms up. We're talking like a 5 degree (Fahrenheit) difference at most, but you'd think that I live in a goddamn meat locker the way people react.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
ObsidianJones said:
You want to make a support group? Major Armstrong can be our Mascot [http://fma.wikia.com/wiki/Alex_Louis_Armstrong].
HA! I'm in! Deadlifts at 5:00 LAN party at 7:30.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Metal.
Poetic Nova said:
I often had people suprised by the music I listen to.

I'm a huge fan of metal (black and doom metal in particular) always will be. But people most of the time don't expect me to like artists/musicians like Fats Domino, Enya, Kate bush, Talking Heads, etc aswel.
It works the other way for me. I'm into metal, albeit more accessible metal, like Power Metal, Folk Metal, Melodic Metal, etc. I had a group of metalhead friends in college and I stood out since I was the only one who wore light-colored polo shirts and sweaters instead of black tee shirts, and had short hair. I also didn't like to drink or party, and often had a very friendly face. I pretty much completely went against the metalhead stereotype, and while they accepted me, their other friends/girlfriends were often surprised that I was actually one of them.

Sep 24, 2008
JUMBO PALACE said:
ObsidianJones said:
You want to make a support group? Major Armstrong can be our Mascot [http://fma.wikia.com/wiki/Alex_Louis_Armstrong].
Ok. I'll be real about my bitchness.

I hate deadlifts. I always have. I just hate them. I would rather do a thirty minute Bear Complex than deadlifts.

And I know there's a deadlift component in a Bear Complex. But... my hate is irrational. I've always known this.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
People are always thrown for a loop by my taste in music.

Everyone assumes I'm into either classic rock or something with the word "metal" in it.

When in truth I like this sort of stuff:

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Generalissimo said:
My room naturally has a slight smell to it, which I rather like. like an animal marking it's territory, it's a "me" smell. but it's fairly faint. but without fail, most who walk in there act like it's full of mustard gas.
In my experience everyone's rooms smell weird to everyone except the person(s) who sleep in it.

Guy's rooms smell like socks. Women's rooms smell like air freshener. Couple's rooms either smell like sex or air freshener or some combination of the two, depending.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
ObsidianJones said:
JUMBO PALACE said:
ObsidianJones said:
Ok. I'll be real about my bitchness.

I hate deadlifts. I always have. I just hate them. I would rather do a thirty minute Bear Complex than deadlifts.

And I know there's a deadlift component in a Bear Complex. But... my hate is irrational. I've always known this.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Silentpony said:
Ponies, straight up.
I'm a martial arts/self defense instructor, weight lift, drink boiling whiskey and wrestle alligators. Yet I love me Pinkie's Smile song.

On the opposite end, something people assume I like but don't, MMA and boxing. Its just gratuitous violence and gives bad ideas about how to fight to kids and fans alike. Don't ever ever watch an MMA match and assume that's what any street fight will be like.
That's actually how I got into ponies. My friend, who has been doing MMA/stick/grappling fighting since 2001 was interested enough by all the internet stuff to give it a watch the show and he got me to check it out on one of our drinking nights. Been totally hooked since season 2 ended. Oddly enough another friend of mine who has also been doing the MMA thing just as long also got into ponies but on his own. Which is weird since he tends to be a hater. He and his wife got home after a party or something and they were still high or drunk, she wanted something happy to watch, and all that was on was ponies, specifically the episode where Twilight goes kinda nuts, Lesson Zero, that made him a lite fan.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
About the only thing people think surprising about me is about just how much I love motorcycles. I mean, I love most things with a motor (except cars, but that's mostly got to do with the people behind the wheel ... not the concept), but motorcycles will always be a passion. Apart from that ... I don't know. Most of the stuff I consume is thesaurus mundane commonplace. I have very recently gotten into My Little Pony. But I don't think that's pretty weird in the Western world at least. I mean how can you not like pastel ponies?

I suppose I can relate something that I definitely am not into inspite of life.

I was an enlistee and I had a good thing going before the accident, yet I hate other people's blood. Really loathe it. Mine? Not so bad... I kind of sucked it up and hid it, but other people's blood is nightmare fuel. When I was very young I wanted to be a G.P, I wanted to go full Royal Flying Doctor as well! Helping bring medical care to every sq. in. of Australia as a member of the most comprehensive aeromedical service in the world!

But pretty sure my antipathy to other people's blood would have made passing the practicals impossible.

I try as much as possible not to describe mundane thing I don't like as things I hate ... 'hate' should be considered with some form of incredible weight of aversion and revulsion. So believe when I say I hate other people's blood, I really loathe it. The funny thing I also hate the sight of animal blood. Hate it. You bite your lip and help fix one of your squadmate's wounds, but argh ... part of me wanted to vomit.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
Getting a bit specific with this one but whenever I tell any Doctor Who fans that my favourite classic Doctor is Paul McGann's 8th Doctor I get blank stares and utter incredulity, often accompanied by "but... why!?"

Music taste is a big one. A lot of mine is classic pop rock, 90s pop, musical theatre showtunes, the orchestral scores of movies, current stuff like 1D or their respective solo stuff, shit like that. Then I put it on shuffle and "Where the hood at" by DMX comes on and you have never seen a group of people all turn their heads in one direction faster. They just can't square my occasional interest in rap music with the weird gay as fuck nerdy bastard that I am 99% of the time.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
ObsidianJones said:
I love Ben Folds
Wait, that band that did that one song from the 90's? That "Give me my money back, you *****" thing? Goddamn.

Gah, who am I to judge? I feel the same way about Less than Jake.

Ok, really controversial: Picnicface (who had all of one season on Canadian pay-extra cable channels and one spectacularly unsuccesful film which I unashamedly love) was the greatest sketch-comedy-troupe of all time. Yes I include Monty-Python, Kids-in-the-hall and In Living Colour. Furthermore, their cancellation over a decade ago is the single greatest blow to Canadian culture since Don Cherry.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Jeff Dunham's stand up. Yes, I know, but I still get a laugh out of some of his jokes, even if I'm not a big a fan as I was when I was younger.

Scarim Coral said:
Well I'm pretty much feeling like that (the recieving end of it) with the upcoming film "Ready Player One". Really? Like 99.9 on here seen to have a negative reaction to it and yet I'm on the 0.01 end of it? -_-
If it helps, I'm eager to see the movie too. Screw the haters!

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
Normally I listen to indie rock, synthpop hipster music but I really like Mika. His music is like...uber-pop and I think he has the stage presence of a young Freddie Mercury. I saw him live a few years ago and it was possibly one of the best shows I've ever seen.

jademunky said:
Ok, really controversial: Picnicface (who had all of one season on Canadian pay-extra cable channels and one spectacularly unsuccesful film which I unashamedly love) was the greatest sketch-comedy-troupe of all time. Yes I include Monty-Python, Kids-in-the-hall and In Living Colour. Furthermore, their cancellation over a decade ago is the single greatest blow to Canadian culture since Don Cherry.
I dunno if I'd say best of all time but that show was criminally underrated and deserved a second season, at the very least. Cliche as it is to say, that show actually helped get me through a really rough time in my life so it will always hold a special place in my heart. I was gutted when those halfwits at Bell didn't renew them.

As an aside, if you haven't discovered him, the track played during the intro was a song by Halifax indie artist Rich Aucoin. His music is really good, if you haven't listened to him. Super upbeat and fun.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Chewster said:
jademunky said:
I dunno if I'd say best of all time but that show was criminally underrated and deserved a second season, at the very least. Cliche as it is to say, that show actually helped get me through a really rough time in my life so it will always hold a special place in my heart. I was gutted when those halfwits at Bell didn't renew them.

As an aside, if you haven't discovered him, the track played during the intro was a song by Halifax indie artist Rich Aucoin. His music is really good, if you haven't listened to him. Super upbeat and fun.
Super agree with allllll of this... though I think I love Monty a bit more, Picnicface were brilliant.

And yes, I'm, from, Hal-i-fax!

... gold.

chocolate pickles

Apr 14, 2011
Silentpony said:
Ponies, straight up.
I'm a martial arts/self defense instructor, weight lift, drink boiling whiskey and wrestle alligators. Yet I love me Pinkie's Smile song.

On the opposite end, something people assume I like but don't, MMA and boxing. Its just gratuitous violence and gives bad ideas about how to fight to kids and fans alike. Don't ever ever watch an MMA match and assume that's what any street fight will be like.
You are wrong about boxing. I've boxed for about 5 years, and it was honestly the best stress relief I ever had. It increased my confidence, motivated me to get fit, and overall just made me happy. That's to say nothing of the guys I met whom really benefited from boxing - the ones with anger issues, low-level criminal records etc, who were kept on the straight and narrow by boxing.

Boxing gave me the best idea about fighting outside the gym - that I shouldn't. We live in a world of knives, guns, gangs, etc. No martial arts will save you from those. Best way 'win' in a street fight is to never get into one.

As a martial arts instructor, I'd expect you to be the last person to dismiss a martial art/combat sport (however you wish to define boxing) as 'gratuitous violence'.

Anyway, on topic: similar kind of deal. Boxing and rugby are very much seen in Britain as manly mans man sports. Watching s show about colourful cartoon ponies (and reading the vastly superior comics) doesn't really gell well with that. Really, the fact I like cartoons seems to conflict with what a lot of people expect.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I really don't see any particular proof that there is epic hatedom to anything I like. More to the point, my tastes can vary widely, so I couldn't possibly tell if the surprise is natural or just because you had no way to know.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
One More: I love Less Than Jake

Boarders and Boundaries is is good an album as Rush's Fly By Night

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
Well, bit of a flipside for mine.

At work, we run our own online newspaper that me and some other people occasionally review movies on.

Now this other guy, is like the definition of a fanboy. His reviews without fail consist of 'I thought it was awesome, people be hatin' , can't wait for the next one'

I think it reached its peak when he reviewed Transformers: The Last Knight and gave it an 11/10. Like seriously, I get opinions and that but a fucking 11/10 for a Bayformers movie? WHY. WHAT DRIVES IT.

Here's the review, if you can stomach it...
https://www.westwaleschronicle.co.uk/blog/2017/06/29/transformers-the-last-knight-review/