You Too Can Name the Moons of Pluto

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
You Too Can Name the Moons of Pluto

P4 and P5 are terrible names for servants of a king, so astronomers want your help picking new ones.

Pluto, king of the underworld and former planet, has had two new moons discovered in the past two years, and the team of SETI astronomers who found them wants you to vote to name them. The two moons are currently called P4 and P5, but via the website Pluto Rocks [https://sites.google.com/a/plutorocks.com/voting/], members of the public can freely vote on a list of mythical greek names for the orbiting rocks. If you like, you can also submit alternate Hades-themed names for the moons. Among the proposed names are such underworld luminaries as Cerberus, Erebus, Eurydice, Lethe, Persephone, and Styx. Pluto's current moons are named Charon, Nix, and Hydra. Voting will close at noon EST on Monday, February 25, 2013.

Mark Showalter, the head of the SETI institute team that discovered P4 and P5, said on the website that "The Greeks were great storytellers and the 'Minions of Hades' are a colorful cast of characters. We have picked out a few of our favorite names to get the voting started, but if you have a better idea, let us know and we might add it to the ballot!" Clyde Tombaugh discovered Pluto in 1930, and a little girl from Oxford, England suggested that he name it Pluto. Opening up the voting to the public, says Showalter, is in the spirit of Tombaugh's discovery. Under the Nomenclature Working Groups of the International Astronomical Union, Showalter's SETI team has the right to name the moons and put those names to a vote by the IAU. SETI Institute is a not-for-profit organization which studies the universe, with an aim at the search for life.

Source: Pluto Rocks [https://sites.google.com/a/plutorocks.com/voting/]

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
I voted for Cerberus and Styx, they sound the best to me plus they link nicely from a mythology standpoint.

Mana Fiend

Jun 8, 2009
Voted Cerberus and Lethe. Cerberus had better win, it's just so fitting. I'd also be happy to see Styx and Persephone get voted in.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
That's stupid, clearly Pluto deserves to have his Persephone. That shouldn't even be up for a vote!

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Jorec said:
Persephone and Styx.

Felt that was fitting.
Same here. I considered Acheron too, but that would mean giving up on the more appropriate Persephone.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
JonB said:
Clyde Tombaugh discovered Pluto in 2930
Whoah, whoah, whoah. He came from the future and all he did was discover a planet? He could have become a billionaire by investing in cat based websites!

Jorec

Jul 7, 2010
Well frack, Persephone is currently in third. I hope that one at least wins.

NightmareExpress

Dec 31, 2012
Persephone, Cerberus and Styx seem to be the most fitting for the theme.
I'd be absolutely torn trying to choose just two of those...