You'll Be Able to Grab a Nintendo Switch at GameStop and Wal-Mart Midnight Events

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
You'll Be Able to Grab a Nintendo Switch at GameStop and Wal-Mart Midnight Events

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1374/1374346.jpgIf you can't wait to pick up a Nintendo Switch, GameStop and Wal-Mart will both have a limited number of units available at 12:01 AM Friday.

The Nintendo Switch launch is almost here, and if you still want one, but didn't get to pre-order, there may still be hope. Both Wal-Mart and GameStop say that there will be units available for walk-in customers at stores in North America, although quantities will be limited.

Wal-Mart says that it will begin selling the units at 12:01 AM local time on Friday, March 3 in its 24 hour Supercenters. They will offer the system in red, blue, and gray at the expected $299 price point. If you happen to live somewhere that Wal-Mart actually closes, you'll need to call the store to find out when it will begin selling the Switch.

Similarly, GameStop says that it will have over 3,000 stores holding midnight launch events for the Switch across the US, and has previously said that it will have a limited number of Switch consoles [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169617-GameStop-Announces-Limited-Switch-Consoles-Available-on-Launch-Day-for-Walk-Ins] available on launch day, including two Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild bundles. The company will also have a couple of special trade deals that you can take advantage of when trading in toward the purchase of Switch products:

Receive up to $100 (PowerUp Rewards Pro members get an extra $25) when trading in a Nintendo Wii U or 3DS system
40 percent extra trade-in credit (PowerUp Reward Pro members get 50%) when trading any games or accessories

Obviously, both stores are stressing that availability of the units will be very limited, so if you want one, you should plan to be there early and get in line.

[gallery=6995]

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Is there like, a list of stores doing this? Is it -all- Gamestops? Cause uh...I might just give it a shot.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Why did you announce this?!

I was gonna make a beeline to walmart to get Breath of the Wilds since no one ever seems to think to go there during new releases (the crowds always head to the two gamestop stores downtown) but since this has been announced I'm gonna have to actually fight crowds to get a copy of the game instead of being the only person there like usual.

*grumbles*

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Saelune said:
Is there like, a list of stores doing this? Is it -all- Gamestops? Cause uh...I might just give it a shot.
I looked all over GameStop's site for a store list, but couldn't find one, and there wasn't one included in the press release. Might be worth calling your local store.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
ffronw said:
Saelune said:
I looked all over GameStop's site for a store list, but couldn't find one, and there wasn't one included in the press release. Might be worth calling your local store.
Thanks for the effort. I need to buy a new controller, so perhaps I will ask then.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Kajin said:
Why did you announce this?!

I was gonna make a beeline to walmart to get Breath of the Wilds since no one ever seems to think to go there during new releases (the crowds always head to the two gamestop stores downtown) but since this has been announced I'm gonna have to actually fight crowds to get a copy of the game instead of being the only person there like usual.

*grumbles*
You know walmart sells machetes, right?

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Funny enough, my local Walmart actually does close at night. Seems like they've had problems with people stealing during those hours.

Saelune said:
If you don't have a preorder, I wouldn't count on getting one. GameStop usually only sells preorders at midnight. Midnight releases are quite a common occurrence, just depends on how many preorders they have.

And let's not forget we're talking about Nintendo. The company that shipped single digits of the NES Classic to major retailers (and also everything that happened with Amiibos). I seriously wouldn't be surprised if people who preordered the Switch can't get one.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Saltyk said:
Funny enough, my local Walmart actually does close at night. Seems like they've had problems with people stealing during those hours.

Saelune said:
If you don't have a preorder, I wouldn't count on getting one. GameStop usually only sells preorders at midnight. Midnight releases are quite a common occurrence, just depends on how many preorders they have.

And let's not forget we're talking about Nintendo. The company that shipped single digits of the NES Classic to major retailers (and also everything that happened with Amiibos). I seriously wouldn't be surprised if people who preordered the Switch can't get one.
Mine is pretty close and I have found my town is big enough for that Gamestop to have the nice things, while being small enough that I usually have a good chance.

Im more mulling about the idea than devoted to it. Though I also am unsure if I want a day 1 Switch anymore. My enthusiasm for the system waxes and wanes with every new bit of information.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Saelune said:
Saltyk said:

Saelune said:

Mine is pretty close and I have found my town is big enough for that Gamestop to have the nice things, while being small enough that I usually have a good chance.
My local Gamestop seems to be much the same. I've never really had a problem getting what I want. The only exception being when the original Dragon Ball Xenoverse came out. They apparently couldn't keep it in stock at all. At the same time, while I think they sold some 200 PS4's on launch day, I also didn't have a problem getting a replacement when I was unfortunate enough to have mine die on me within the first hour.

Saelune said:
Im more mulling about the idea than devoted to it. Though I also am unsure if I want a day 1 Switch anymore. My enthusiasm for the system waxes and wanes with every new bit of information.
I can understand that. Personally, I've never been able to convince myself to buy a Nintendo console for one or two games. Even if those few games were some of the best of the generation. So just from a software standpoint, I'm not really on-board with the Switch. Breath of the Wild looks great, but so does Horizon Zero Dawn.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Saltyk said:
Saelune said:
I can understand that. Personally, I've never been able to convince myself to buy a Nintendo console for one or two games. Even if those few games were some of the best of the generation. So just from a software standpoint, I'm not really on-board with the Switch. Breath of the Wild looks great, but so does Horizon Zero Dawn.
I am pretty pro-Nintendo, but more because of Nintendo being Nintendo. The Switch...I dunno, seems a bit of a mess, like they kind of want to compete more directly, but not committed to it. (I was of the mind that them NOT competing directly with Sony and Microsoft was a strength, not a weakness)

Plus I figure they will release an updated/altered Switch down the line that I might rather get. I trust Nintendo releasing games I will want, and I have enough spare cash to afford it, so the games arent the issue for me.

There was just too much "We dont have that...yet". I guess I will wait for the "yet".

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Might give it a shot. I'll be hanging out at GameStop with my roommate to pick up his preorder.

Jiub said:
Oh, great, another piece of junk system from Nintendo nobody wants or cares about because all their games are for 10 year-olds. No wonder this dinosaur of a company is dying fast.
Oh look, a post from 2001.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Will you, though? Given Nintendo's recent history, I wouldn't be surprised if every Gamestop and Wal-Mart will only have five copies of the Switch each. And my first thought upon reading
including two Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild bundles
was that it probably means literally two bundles.