Young Justice Outsiders: First thoughts?

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I actually don't have much to say. The three eps were surprisingly short, which is I guess why they release them in threes? (why not just make the three one episode then)

But yeah, from the little we've seen, it looks like the writing and characters we all know and love are back, and can I say damn it feels good. Its almost been a decade since the first season! All these old cancelled shows making comebacks, what a time to be alive.

I do have one large problem though, and its with the animation quality. First, the art style. Personally, I fucking hate it. They look exactly like their DCAU versions, and I despise the DCAU's art style. Its just too overly complicated and overdesigned that it looks terrible. I miss the sleek figures and bold color schemes of the first and second seasons. The weird thing is that they seem to have a lower budget, so why go with these more complex designs? Are they somehow cheaper to animate? If anyone with knowledge about animation could chip in their thoughts that would be great.

Second, the animation itself. Its just plain not as good as the first two seasons. Even if you didn't like the story and characters of the previous seasons, you can't deny that most of the actions scenes are superbly animated. So fluid and dynamic. Here... they commit the ultimate sins of static camera angles and fucking shakey cam in an animated show. It's probably the lower budget again, this is DC after all and not Cartoon Network. But it is still disappointing, what got me into Young Justice back in high school was the impressive animation.

In the end while I do have my gripes I'm just glad we can get a continuation. I really do want to see Wally come back so I can have so goddamn closure.

Anyway, to the I assume few of you who watched it, what are your thoughts?

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
I liked it. The two year timeline push forward wasn't as jarring and I like how they're handling the characters. The meta human plot is very well told.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
The first 3 episodes has established the setting well but nothing else. I was wondering why it didn't grip me and it's because the action has been more clandestine than superhero.

A lot of pieces moving about the board but no real action yet.

Apr 17, 2009
undeadsuitor said:
Palindromemordnilap said:
Well its only on DC's own-brand streaming service which isn't available in my country, so I'll let you know once I get my eyepatch and pegleg on
its on dailymotion as well

as long as you dont mind reading flipped text
Yes, managed to track it down and watch the six episodes that have been released. Flipped text isn't too bad for me, thankfully only had to pause it when they had some longer conversations between Bryon and Gregor

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
I personally don't like how dark it's getting, partly because I'm getting annoyed by the fans who think being "dark" is a signifier of quality. I get that they're not under the thumb of Cartoon Network anymore and they want to take advantage of their new freedom but holy hell, there is some crazy messed up stuff that happens. I'm expecting a certain consistency with the previous seasons but they really cranked the dial up.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Gatx said:
I personally don't like how dark it's getting, partly because I'm getting annoyed by the fans who think being "dark" is a signifier of quality. I get that they're not under the thumb of Cartoon Network anymore and they want to take advantage of their new freedom but holy hell, there is some crazy messed up stuff that happens. I'm expecting a certain consistency with the previous seasons but they really cranked the dial up.
This season is about the team(s) stopping a meta-human trafficking ring/syndicate, so it was always going to be dark. And, to be fair, the first two seasons had some pretty messed up stuff as well (Secret, The Reach, mass kidnappings, torture and murder etc.), they just couldn't be as blatant about it.
Also, while Outsiders is pretty dark I don't feel that it's gone to obnoxious, edgy and grimdark levels just yet.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Bob_McMillan said:
I do have one large problem though, and its with the animation quality. First, the art style. Personally, I fucking hate it. They look exactly like their DCAU versions, and I despise the DCAU's art style.
Young Justice Outsiders is not in the DCAU art style tho. The DCAU is Timmverse stuff like Batman TAS, Superman TAS and Justice League. You know ...
There are design differences, but I'd say old Young Justice looks more like the image above than new Young Justice. Outsiders looks like the newer animated movies. Interestingly, both the old art and the new were done by the same lead designer, Phil Bourassa, who is also the lead for those new movies. Thing is, old Young Justice came right after the DCAU ended, so I'm thinking perhaps DC wanted designs more or less in line with the latter to keep some visual continuity. Just conjecture tho.

That said, I'm not overly fond of the new art style either.

Apr 17, 2009
Chimpzy said:
That said, I'm not overly fond of the new art style either.
Yeah, thats something I'm finding a bit off as well. Maybe I'm just used to the story dealing with younger characters whereas now most of the recurring cast are pretty well into adulthood but everyone seems...chunky. Like there's a touch of the Liefeld about them

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2009
Yeah, thats something I'm finding a bit off as well. Maybe I'm just used to the story dealing with younger characters whereas now most of the recurring cast are pretty well into adulthood but everyone seems...chunky. Like there's a touch of the Liefeld about them
They have feet tho, didn't see many pouches, and guns don't seem to be bendy.

All jokes aside, there was a point in the second episode where I plain couldn't tell Superboy apart from Nightwing until Black Lightning called him by name.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Chimpzy said:

All jokes aside, there was a point in the second episode where I plain couldn't tell Superboy apart from Nightwing until Black Lightning called him by name.
Yeah, Nightwing and Superboy look like clones.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
Marik2 said:
Chimpzy said:

Yeah, Nightwing and Superboy look like clones.

Phil Bourassa has same face syndrome bad and I personally think it has gotten worse. The dude is a good artist but I'm very sick of seeing his art in almost every DC animated media in the past six years

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Chimpzy said:
Young Justice Outsiders is not in the DCAU art style tho. The DCAU is Timmverse stuff like Batman TAS, Superman TAS and Justice League. You know ...
Well a lot of people call the recent slate (post Flashpoint) of DC movies the DCAU. Especially since the Timmverse isn't exactly being expanded anymore. I personally call the Timmverse the Timmverse, and the new DC Animated movies the DCAU, since unlike previous DC animated films, they all take place in the same universe.

I wouldn't exactly call it chunky, but yeah all the shadowing and proportions make their slender bodies look stupidly muscular, which is what I think you're seeing.

PapaGreg096 said:
Phil Bourassa has same face syndrome bad and I personally think it has gotten worse. The dude is a good artist but I'm very sick of seeing his art in almost every DC animated media in the past six years
Its sad because he call this art style an "evolution" from the previous, when from pretty much everyone's standpoint this art style is worse.

There was however a very nice moment in Episode 4 where the old art style seemed to have come back, albeit in a static image. I liked it enough though to make it my desktop wallpaper.

OT: Speaking of the newer episodes, Eps 4-6 really brought back my confidence in this show. Ep 4 was funny and had all the great character moments and interactions I had been missing from the first season. Ep 5 had some decent worldbuilding and action. Ep 6 dropped a fucking BOMB (or two!) in its ending. Really excited now for the end of the week so I can catch up with Episodes 7 to 9.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2009
Bob_McMillan said:
Chimpzy said:
Sniptimus Prime
Well a lot of people call the recent slate (post Flashpoint) of DC movies the DCAU. Especially since the Timmverse isn't exactly being expanded anymore. I personally call the Timmverse the Timmverse, and the new DC Animated movies the DCAU, since unlike previous DC animated films, they all take place in the same universe.
Apparently the new animated movies are officialy called the DCAMU.

Between this, DCAU and DCEU, I guess DC loves its sort of confusingly similar acronyms.

Apr 17, 2009
Bob_McMillan said:
I wouldn't exactly call it chunky, but yeah all the shadowing and proportions make their slender bodies look stupidly muscular, which is what I think you're seeing.
Probably something like. I just remember when the new design for Kaldur showed up thinking "Blimey, did he eat the old design for Kaldur?" I know S2 design was bigger than S1 design, but I'm still not sure this one should look that huge. Though with what you say maybe its the gold touches on his costume warping how I see him

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Marik2 said:
It's pretty crash.
The last few eps have been pretty great, altho I can't say any of them have reached the heights of the last seasons yet.