Young Justice/Teen Titans Go! Crossover: WTF...

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Honestly? I thought the clip was funny. But that's not surprising because I find Teen Titians Go to be hilarious in general. That said, I never watched Young Justice but I can understand anyone's frustration about that getting canceled for an action comedy show.

Bob_McMillan said:
Areloch said:
Really guys?

So a clip where AquaLad brutally deconstructs the entire essence of Teen Titans Go about it being a stupid over the top romp, which is immediately met by the characters from Teen Titans Go attempting to be serious and falling into being a stupid over the top romp in the process is somehow a dig at Young Justice?

If anything it's a masterstroke lampshade.
I... have no idea what that is. I even searched it online, and the first result I got was this page. Autocorrect?
You mean lampshade hanging?
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LampshadeHanging

And yeah, reguarding the clip itself Areloch is right on the money.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Areloch said:
Bob_McMillan said:
Areloch said:
Really guys?

So a clip where AquaLad brutally deconstructs the entire essence of Teen Titans Go about it being a stupid over the top romp, which is immediately met by the characters from Teen Titans Go attempting to be serious and falling into being a stupid over the top romp in the process is somehow a dig at Young Justice?

I... have no idea what that is. I even searched it online, and the first result I got was this page. Autocorrect?
Sorry, what 'that' are you referring to?
Masterstroke lampshade. Story answered me already though, thanks for that Story. Yeah, I can understand you. Though in my opinion, they really did intend for it to be a dig at Young Justice, or at least it's fans. Oh well. Guess I overreacted a bit, I've been waiting for this episode for several months now.

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
Bob_McMillan said:
Areloch said:
Bob_McMillan said:
Areloch said:
Really guys?

Sorry, what 'that' are you referring to?
Masterstroke lampshade. Story answered me already though, thanks for that Story. Yeah, I can understand you. Though in my opinion, they really did intend for it to be a dig at Young Justice, or at least it's fans. Oh well. Guess I overreacted a bit, I've been waiting for this episode for several months now.
Ah, gotcha. I did indeed mean lampshade hanging, so thank you for the help Story :)

And I can kinda see how fans may feel burned by it, but given how blatantly it plays straight to the deconstruction it was just given by AquaLad, I have a very hard time seeing it as anything other than self-parodying. But hey, different interpretations and all that :D

And Man

May 12, 2014
I don't understand why people hate Teen Titans Go! so much. Protip: Teen Titans and Teen Titans Go! are two completely different shows with completely different purposes. I loved the first Teen Titans, but I also enjoy Teen Titans Go! I don't watch it often, but what I have seen has been pretty funny (and for the record I'm 24). Yes, it sucks that Young Justice got cancelled, but that doesn't automatically make Teen Titans Go! Hitler. The funniest thing I find about people hating on Teen Titans Go! is that I've heard fans of the original Teen Titans comic complain about the first Teen Titans show for its differences, which just makes fans of the first Teen Titans show complaining that Teen Titans Go! isn't the "real" Teen Titans or some such bullshit even more ridiculous.

In conclusion: Teen Titans and Teen Titans Go! are two different shows; get over it. Stop taking everything so seriously.

[small][small]It's amazing how well this clip sums up my feelings about TTG haters[/small][/small]​

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
And Man said:
I don't understand why people hate Teen Titans Go! so much. Protip: Teen Titans and Teen Titans Go! are two completely different shows with completely different purposes. I loved the first Teen Titans, but I also enjoy Teen Titans Go! I don't watch it often, but what I have seen has been pretty funny (and for the record I'm 24). Yes, it sucks that Young Justice got cancelled, but that doesn't automatically make Teen Titans Go! Hitler. The funniest thing I find about people hating on Teen Titans Go! is that I've heard fans of the original Teen Titans comic complain about the first Teen Titans show for its differences, which just makes fans of the first Teen Titans show complaining that Teen Titans Go! isn't the "real" Teen Titans or some such bullshit even more ridiculous.

In conclusion: Teen Titans and Teen Titans Go! are two different shows; get over it. Stop taking everything so seriously.

[small][small]It's amazing how well this clip sums up my feelings about TTG haters[/small][/small]​
Here's the thing, Teen Titans Go! is, appart from being a terrible show in its own right which neither cares for or understands the characters they write about (for gods sake, Beast-boy does not eat meat!) was made only because of the success of Teen Titans, without which the series never would have been made. Taking issue with a bad animated series that was made as "bad comedy made for children who pay more attention to the fact that something is on the screen then something good being on the screen" #87 that's currently airing which was running off the success of one of the few all-ages dramatic animated series in western animation, that's on par with a series using Avatar as its setting being a poorly animated immature comedy.

And I do have to say that no, Go! has no claim to being a "real" Teen Titan series, if you can't get the basics of the characters right, you don't get to claim it's an adaptation. Nowhere in the comics or previous cartoons where any of the characters as childish, immature or insufferable, to say nothing of the individual characterization which shows that the writers never even hurd about these characters before writing the show.

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
I've never hated Go!, There silly little shorts that get a smile out of me from time to time and I liked the mockery they did of their more serious counter-parts.

But I don't buy that Go! isn't a "real" Teen Titans series, its a different take on the world and characters but it's all still there. I discussed this way back when Batman: The Brave and the bold came out. I loved the series to death and I was genuinely disappointed when it ended, being replaced with a more serious Beware the Bat which while having a pretty damn fine pilot episode meandered into nothing truly special. Brave and Bold was just as much a Batman serial worthy of the mantle as the original animated adventures.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
On a semi-related note about a year or so ago I watched the original Teen Titans show for the first time and it was pretty good. Some parts were better than others... in fact I'd say most of the series hovered somewhere between mediocre and vaguely entertaining popcorn stuff, but every here and there was a genuinely fantastic episode.

It's a bit sad that rather than trying to build on those fantastic episodes the series instead went the full comedy route. Shame, there was some serious potential. Comedy alone is good but comedy tempered by the occasional serious moment and punctuated by character growth can be great!

King Billi

Jul 11, 2012
Tale as old as time...

Oh no! This show I liked was cancelled before its time.

Oh no! This other show I don't like is inexplicaly popular with people who have different tastes to me.

These other people and their stupid show have stolen my other better show from me, Curse them!

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
Yeah. Just chalk e up as another one of the people who acknowledges that this is simply a comedy and that's all it has to be. As much as I loved Teen Titans and Young Justice, Teen Titans Go! doesn't have to be them

Rahkshi500

May 25, 2014
CandideWolf said:
I do find it funny that some people here are taking the Aqualad clip as mocking Teen Titans Go, rather than the people that complained about Teen Titans Go.
I think they go get that part, I certainly did. The thing, though, is that even then, Aqualad(and by extension, those with grievances to TTG) still has a point. Most of the humor of TTG shifts between meh to tasteless to being downright mean-spirited. The other half of the episode is just one huge strawman, forgetting that Aqualad pointed out that he enjoys humor too, and so do those who hate TTG; the show just isn't all that funny.

BytByte

Nov 26, 2009
Rahkshi500 said:
CandideWolf said:
I do find it funny that some people here are taking the Aqualad clip as mocking Teen Titans Go, rather than the people that complained about Teen Titans Go.
I think they go get that part, I certainly did. The thing, though, is that even then, Aqualad(and by extension, those with grievances to TTG) still has a point. Most of the humor of TTG shifts between meh to tasteless to being downright mean-spirited. The other half of the episode is just one huge strawman, forgetting that Aqualad pointed out that he enjoys humor too, and so do those who hate TTG; the show just isn't all that funny.
Eh, different strokes for folks I guess. I did think the earlier episodes were worse, but it seems to have dropped any pretense of its legacy, and that makes it a lot better. I miss Young Justice too, but bagging on what it replaced doesn't seem fair to the new show for me.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
King Billi said:
Tale as old as time...

Oh no! This other show I don't like is inexplicaly popular with people who have different tastes to me.

These other people and their stupid show have stolen my other better show from me, Curse them!
I don't have a problem with the show really, except of course I think it sucks hard balls. If it really has to exist then I wont watch it. It sucks that YJ is gone, but I don't blame Teen Titans Go! for it. No, I blame those sexist dicks over at CW and WB.

What I do have a problem with is that they pretty much lied to every YJ fans' face, and made fun of them while doing so.

I was really looking forward to this episode, it was the only real reason I sort of kept up with Teen Titans Go!. After 7 months, this "crossover" was a huge disappointment. I will admit that I am a YJ fanboy and will get heated when something like this comes up, but I can't remember the last time I felt personally insulted by a show, a "childrens" one at that.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
My god, you people act like once Go! hit the scene they went back and time and destroyed the original teen titans cartoon.

Also, anyone that hates Teen Titans Go! doesn't have a sense of humor.

Also, my God, Young Justice wasn't even that good. The first season was building up this whole thing with the group secrets and what not and the only payoff was an anti-climatic. Then they jump years ahead and suddenly it's all this bullshit about aliens, like they were trying to go after the Ben10 alien thing. It wasn't the second coming of the DCAU, and it was more than angsty. Fucking Superboy had a fucking wolf for christ sakes.

King Billi said:
Tale as old as time...

It's this times a million. You people need to let it go. Action is out right now. Comedy is in. Well get back to action cartoons at some point.

Rahkshi500

May 25, 2014
CandideWolf said:
Eh, different strokes for folks I guess. I did think the earlier episodes were worse, but it seems to have dropped any pretense of its legacy, and that makes it a lot better. I miss Young Justice too, but bagging on what it replaced doesn't seem fair to the new show for me.
True, I still watch TTG despite my grievances, and I do agree with you that it has improved a bit since its earlier episodes.