Younger Game of Thrones actors...

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3pzkhQ89S1r7sr2no1_500.jpg
They look so damn different! Apparently Sansa can actually smile??

Thoughts?

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
My thoughts are they need to stop fucking around with the pointless deviations from the source material or I'm binning this goddam show.

Also this is an OLD photo, eh? Sansa is like seven feet tall now.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Kendarik said:
Books often don't translate well to TV/movies without some changes, especially if you want to bring in more than just the nerd-fan who has the books memorized already.
I'm familiar with the changes that NEED to be made to bring them to screen. Game of Thrones is borderline unfilmable as it is, so the fact they're even trying is admirable. So stuff like losing secondary characters or combining characters, while lamentable, is understandable.

It's the OTHER bullshit. Stuff cut or changed for no apparent reason. And some incredibly weak things added, sopping up screen time that could've gone to stuff that was actually in the story to begin with. It'd be easier to rationalize, say, losing the Reeds and the entire Tully family and 90% of the screen time for the Cleganes if we didn't have Roz the traveling prostitute giving five minutes of pointless sexposition in every episode. Even the folks who have never read the books hate her.

The first season was uneven, but solid. The second season has been a gong show.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Kendarik said:
For example, I started reading the walking dead cartoons after I saw the show. I think some stuff is better in the original, some better in the TV show. I also know that the people who had nerdgasms when they heard that the show was being made get upset over all the changes and they refuse to see anything but the original as valid - which is silly.
Depends on how attached you are to the source material, really. I've read and re-read ASOIAF many, many times, and I'm married to a lot of the little details in ways that a more casual viewer will not be, so stupid crap like just pointlessly changing the way a guy dies in a particular scene grinds my gears.

I was never able to get into the LOTR books (came to them too late, too much fucking SINGING, Tom Bombadil can DIAF), so I found the films bracing and enjoyable. A friend of mine who grew up with the books and loved them more than life itself found some of the alterations, like Faramir, profoundly annoying and could NOT stop grousing about them.

I'm pleased GoT is a success and I realize I'm going to be more or less impossible to fully satisfy, but they really need to settle down with the deviations. The books were a huge success because of Martin's writing and ability to tell a story, so his ideas should not be the first thing tossed out the window. The last episode was virtually nothing BUT deviations. Virtually every scene was either heavily changed, or completely re-written. And some of the new stuff is BAD. Dany's scenes in particular are just cringe inducing.

Kinokohatake

Jul 11, 2010
SecretNegative said:
More often that not the deviations have been for the better (I'd take Tywin & Jaime talking over acrobatic blackflip Tyrion all day long). Actually, a lot of the best scenes from the first season wheren't in the book (prementioned Tywin & Jaime, Robert & Cersei, BAELOR!!!111, etc.)

Sure, some things are annoying, like [spoilers] killing off the Tickler so early, taking Arya's stabbing scene from her, but really, who were gonna remember the tickler from one and a half season ago?[spoilers]. Ros is a little annoying aswell, but she isn't there to give herself screentime, she's there to give other people screentime.

Really happy with season 1 & 2 thus far.
Agreed completely. I have realized thought that big fans are big pains in the ass. The bigger the fan, the bigger the gripe most of the time. I have read both the Song of Fire and Ice series and the True Blood series. The True Blood show has gone off the deep end crazy compared to the books. Game of Thrones however is sticking very close to the book. Loving it.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Thomas Guy said:
Agreed completely. I have realized thought that big fans are big pains in the ass. The bigger the fan, the bigger the gripe most of the time. I have read both the Song of Fire and Ice series and the True Blood series. The True Blood show has gone off the deep end crazy compared to the books. Game of Thrones however is sticking very close to the book. Loving it.
I fully acknowledge that I am the very definition of the unpleasable fan when it comes to this series. But they are no longer "sticking close to the book". True of S1. Very untrue of S2. If it goes in a True Blood direction and they just start re-writing everything that'll be it for me, alas.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
TheBobmus said:
They look so damn different! Apparently Sansa can actually smile??

Thoughts?
Not sure what the discussion value is here?Actors not in costume and make-up look different to their on screen characters?

I guess the only surprise about the actors is that Maisie Williams(Arya)is 15.She looks about 10 both in the show and in real life

BloatedGuppy said:
I fully acknowledge that I am the very definition of the unpleasable fan when it comes to this series. But they are no longer "sticking close to the book".
Have to agree with you here.I am enjoying the show but some of the changes just seem to be for the sake of it rather then because they add to the show.Take the most recent episode for example -
Dany's dragons being stolen.Seriously why did they need to put this in?Was the original scene where she simply goes to the House of the Undying with one of the dragons unfilmable?Or did they simply,as seems more likely,throw this in for dramatic effect?I mean the books where hardly lacking in dramatic moments so why the fuck do they need to make one up

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
MetalDooley said:
Have to agree with you here.I am enjoying the show but some of the changes just seem to be for the sake of it rather then because they add to the show.Take the most recent episode for example -
Dany's dragons being stolen.Seriously why did they need to put this in?Was the original scene where she simply goes to the House of the Undying with one of the dragons unfilmable?Or did they simply,as seems more likely,throw this in for dramatic effect?I mean the books where hardly lacking in dramatic moments so why the fuck do they need to make one up
The Dany scene irked (I was screaming THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN at the screen), but as you suggest I think they felt the House of the Undying sequence wouldn't translate well to television, and they're probably right. I'm a little confused as to why Doreah is the lone survivor of Dany's Khalasar at this point, though, when she was the only one who died in the book.

Robb's new love interest is going to cause serious injury to the Red Wedding unless she, as some have speculated, is actually Jeyne Westerling in disguise.

Ygritte runs instead of Jon letting her go...why? That was a significant character moment for Jon.

No Reek at Winterfell, so possibly no faux-flaying of Bran and Rickon.

The Ironmen changed from wild-eyed, battle obsessed, hulking Viking standins to lanky, bedraggled brigands.

Littlefinger telling Sansa about the Hound's backstory instead of the Hound doing it himself, turning a chilling scene into a weird, sleazy one.

I could go on and on, really.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Aww, little Arya's so cute. <3

I never actually read the books. Been enjoying the show so far. I was hoping the whole thing with Arya pretending to be a boy would continue a bit longer, I loves me some reverse trap.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
BloatedGuppy said:
The Dany scene irked (I was screaming THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN at the screen), but as you suggest I think they felt the House of the Undying sequence wouldn't translate well to television, and they're probably right. I'm a little confused as to why Doreah is the lone survivor of Dany's Khalasar at this point, though, when she was the only one who died in the book.

Robb's new love interest is going to cause serious injury to the Red Wedding unless she, as some have speculated, is actually Jeyne Westerling in disguise.

Ygritte runs instead of Jon letting her go...why? That was a significant character moment for Jon.

The Ironmen changed from wild-eyed, battle obsessed, hulking Viking standins to lanky, bedraggled brigands.

Littlefinger telling Sansa about the Hound's backstory instead of the Hound doing it himself, turning a chilling scene into a weird, sleazy one.

No need to go on and on really as I agree with you on all those points.As I said I am enjoying the show and I did expect there to be changes but some of the things they've changed just really seemed unnecessary and more for the sake of it than anything else

Crazy_Dude

Nov 3, 2010
Season 2 had a few weak moments, but I loved the latest episode best of the season so far for me.

It makes sense her dragons are stolen, I found it weird it didn't happen in the books. Qarth is a big city and if you around calling yourself the Mother of Dragons stuff like this is bound to happen. And besides its not like Dany does anything useful in the second book. Her storyline was rather boring in Book 2 and I am glad they are trying to spice it up a bit.

DJjaffacake

Jan 7, 2012
I can't take Richard Madden seriously as Robb Stark, the first thing I saw him in had him as an unintentionally racist gay paramedic, and I can't get that out of my head.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
SecretNegative said:
I don't know how "obvious" it is. That's a heavily re-written Jeyne Westerling, and it's not like they haven't wholesale swapped out characters elsewhere.

Thank god, yes, we are keeping Ramsey, there was some speculation he'd be combined with Roose. No time for the Reek thing to happen at this point though, really, as the whole Hornwood storyline was never established, and Reek was in the prison when Theon seized Winterfell. I suspect Ramsey is just going to show up at the head of an army.

Well, whether you enjoyed them in the books or not...and I agree starting with Feast their chapters do drag a bit...they were portrayed VERY differently. As large, fearsome, nordic raiders. The guys in the show are lanky, shabby riverboat pirates. It's just a bizarre translation of the source material.

SecretNegative said:
I don't understand this, why do people seem to compare book and TV when the series should definetly be judged by their own merits. The book were adapted because they would make good television, not because readers needed images for the characters and sets. That would be like in Sopranos was based on a book, and people would go "They got Carmelas personality wrong", or "It should be Silvio who says that, not Tony!". It's one of those things I will never understand.

As long as it's good, it really doesn't matter, George won't do a Lucas and re-write the books, so I see no reason to worry.
And? I am judging it by its merits. Almost ALL of the changes have been BAD. They've NOT WORKED as well as the original text. Either the new dialogue is clunky and bad, or the new scenes aren't framed well. Often in the translation from book to screen, there's an effort to make things more cinematic, but as this is a translation from book to small screen, things have actually gotten LESS cinematic due to budgetary constraints. And that's fine, I understand that. The other shit they're changing...a lot of it has absolutely no reason to be changed other than they felt like changing things. And as they're cramming ENORMOUS books into extremely short seasons, the scenes have no time to breathe and develop. The second season is moving at a crippling pace and much of the subtlety and subtext that makes the books so excellent is being completely lost.

It's good you brought up Sopranos, because like The Wire or Mad Men it was written for television, and it DOES have time to breathe and develop. Everything in there is how the creator originally intended it. GoT is more a case of someone deciding to make a Sopranos film and randomly changing elements around. Like maybe Paulie and Silvio are one guy now, and Christopher is actually Tony's brother.

The 2nd season has not been that good. It's been VERY uneven, with the worst and most wooden moments, not coincidentally, being the ones newly written into the show.

Whatever the case I can see we don't agree, so that's alright, we don't need to have a slap fight about it.

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
BloatedGuppy said:
MetalDooley said:

Some of those things bother me, some do not. For example, the Ironborn thing doesn't bother me at all, mostly because I imagined them like that already. I mean, they come across as hard to me, although I think Cleftjaw should have a much larger scar (its things like that that really bother me personally). Also, the Hound losing that scene you mentioned,I felt really undermined his character, I mean, it makes him a little more sympathetic, but you don't really get that he is a really traumatized person to the extent that he is.

Overall, I'm enjoying it, I just wish each episode was two hours long, so that they could put more in.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
GrimTuesday said:
Some of those things bother me, some do not. For example, the Ironborn thing doesn't bother me at all, mostly because I imagined them like that already. I mean, they come across as hard to me, although I think Cleftjaw should have a much larger scar (its things like that that really bother me personally). Also, the Hound losing that scene you mentioned,I felt really undermined his character, I mean, it makes him a little more sympathetic, but you don't really get that he is a really traumatized person to the extent that he is.

Overall, I'm enjoying it, I just wish each episode was two hours long, so that they could put more in.
I saw Dagmar as a hulking warrior with a mutilated face and a fearsome reputation born of an enormous body count. Show Dagmar looks like my co-worker, Marc, who has a little pot belly and enjoys Rush.

Yeah the Hound thing really rankled me. It was my one major problem with S1, which was otherwise fairly loyal to the books. It didn't help that Aidan Gillan inexplicably chews the scenery like a maniac in that role.

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
BloatedGuppy said:
GrimTuesday said:

I saw Dagmar as a hulking warrior with a mutilated face and a fearsome reputation born of an enormous body count. Show Dagmar looks like my co-worker, Marc, who has a little pot belly and enjoys Rush.
Amusingly enough, they guy who plays Dagmar in the show, is the same guy who plays David's (Ricky Gervais's character) best friend Finch (the equivalent of Packard from the US version) in the UK version of The Office.

Yeah the Hound thing really rankled me. It was my one major problem with S1, which was otherwise fairly loyal to the books. It didn't help that Aidan Gillan inexplicably chews the scenery like a maniac in that role.
Yeah, I wish that the Hound got more screen time, he is such a great character who slowly becomes a bigger part of the story as the books go on. Hopefully after the riot this weekend they will give him more screen time because now Sansa has a reason to interact (to a certain extent).