Your 10 GOTY?

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
There were CRAP loads of games released this year. Some of them were really well done and far outshined other games that were released. What are your 10 games that you thought were the best? Keep in mind this is not a top 10 list, and the games are equally good.

Here are my top 10 list;

1. Uncharted 4
Let's start the list off with a very solid game. Uncharted 4 puts Nathan Drake on the last adventure of his life, and what a hell of a way to send off the franchise. This game has great platforming, amazing graphics, and awesome graphics. What more can you ask for?

2. Dark Souls III
Like Uncharted 4, Dark Souls III is a great send off as the last game of the franchise. The brutal difficulty was addictive, and I loved the final boss. DSIII has made me hype for the next brutal game, Ni-oh

3. Civ 6
First off, that intro music. In fact, this games gets a high praise for the epic soundtrack. But that's not all it does well. The strategic gameplay is awesome and the nations with different benefits really add up the replay value.

4. The Witcher 3: Blood and wine
Okay, it's not a technically a full-fledged game, but it might as well as should be. The game offers a whole new area to explore in the Witcher world. There are new monsters to kill, new NPCs to meet, and new quests to complete. All of this adds more than 20+ hours of gameplay

5. Dishonored 2
So it does not leave as much of an impact the first game did. That does not make the game any less good. Being able to play as Emily with separate powers from Corvo makes the experience different in each playthrough. There are also various methods and paths you can take to complete your mission.

6.Stardew Valley
Such an artistic game. If you liked any of the harvest moon games or a fan of farming games in general, you'll love this game. Farming is not the only thing you can do in the game. There are tons of areas to explore and people to meet in the game. The game also has a great soundtrack as well.

7. Batman: The Telltale Game series
Many people have compared this to the Arkham games. But I'd say this shows a completely different side of the Batman and is doing a damn fine job of it. the choice to play as Bruce Wayne to the batman gets interesting responses from people in the game. The action sequences may not be player controlled, but it still feels badass no matter what.

8. XCOM2
Oh, how much I raged when my soldier missed with 95% hit rate, but another soldier with 65% chance killed the alien with a critical. The strategic combat is very solid. The terrains, positions, and the weapons themselves affect how well you'll do. You need to carefully think about what you want to focus on the upgrade. Along with Civ 6, it's one of the best strategy games of 2016.

9. Battlefield 1
Say what you want about BF1. I think it's still better than the other shooter game. You know the one I'm talking about. Anyways, the multiplayer is still fun. Even though it's not very accurate to the actual WWI, the mood and aesthetic are certainly there. I also think BF1 has the best singleplayer campaign so far in the series. Only if it wasn't so short....

10. Overwatch
This game was Blizzard's new ip in very, very long time. And they nailed it. OW has various heroes with a different personality, which makes banter interesting. They also have different skills and abilities, which makes each hero distinctive from each other. The game modes are fun, and I am excited to see what kind of content is in store for me and everyone who plays overwatch

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Im too lazy to make top 10 list however my GOTY is Doom by far and away. one of the best FPS I have played in decade. followed closely by Hitman. the best stealth game in long long time.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
There were a ton of games released this year but since I only really own a 3DS, a Wii U and a PC that can kinda play games from 16+ years ago I didn't really catch a lot of these releases...I'll try to come up with 10 though!

1 - Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE - This is my favorite game this year and I haven't beaten it yet. The final dungeon is in sight though...I think. I'm a sucker for J-Pop and J-Rock and I'm surprised Gackt hasn't inserted himself into this production. As for the actual game-part of the game, I like the simple JRPG combat system and I like how you can initiate long, powerful combos. I also love how I can skip the cutscenes that happen during certain attacks...not that I like to skip those though because I like those little song-and-dance numbers. This game has a stupid title and I can't play it using off-TV mode but it's still kept me playing with my Wii U for tens of hours so there's that. Unlike Xenoblade X or Splatoon I would strongly consider buying a Switch remaster of this if that were to happen...and given this is a SMT-style game there will almost definitely be a continuation of this game...I assume anyway, maybe this game DOES have a definitive ending.

2 - Dragon Quest VII - I've only put about 18 hours into this game and while a pattern has made itself very, very apparent, I'm having a lot of fun with what I'm given. I like how Dragon Quest has kept the same combat system throughout its lifetime and I like how this game is made up of a bunch of little stories. I just wrapped up a really tragic story about Automata attacking humans of the Faraday Kingdom and now I'm trying to figure how why this new island's inhabitants are suddenly all stoned. I just might put 100+ hours into this game!

3 - Pony Island - I played this and Primordia on PC this year but I didn't realize the amazing Primordia is 4 years old. This game though kept my attention from start to finish. It's not as mind-fucky as other PC games I've played but I do like how the game changes over time. I want to re-install this game at some point but...well...never mind.

4 - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD - I played and beat this game on the Gamecube about...4 years ago maybe. I've avoided the Wii version because of how much I hate the motion controls but enough about that, the Wii U version! It was announced when I was early in a new playthrough of the GC version. It's not as much of a visual improvement as Wind Waker HD but it still looks really good to me. I like the additions of adding in stamps (the closest thing the Wii U has to achievements I think) and I like how this game didn't really overhaul anything like what happened with the Majora's Mask remaster. It's familiar yet polished and that's what I wanted out of this game.

5 - Corpse Party: Back to School Edition - I've never played this on the PSP or PS-Vita or whatever platform this has been on in the past...I'm not done with the game either, I'm only on Chapter 3. Still I like the story so far, I like the puzzles (simple though they are so far) and I'm really intrigued, curious about what's coming next...that bin-aural audio too man...good stuff. I think I'm getting some new headphones in the next couple of weeks so I'll be getting back into the game in a big way then.

6 - Pokemon Sun (and Moon I guess) - I recently beat the first Champion and I made it to the Battle Tree. Once I got there, that's when I hit that point in my Pokemon adventure. You know, that point in a Pokemon game where you find yourself saying "I think I'm done with this game forever now". I liked the story this time around and I like how all of the trial captains and Kahunas felt like pillars of the Alolan community. The story was really engrossing to me too but there are little annoyances that got under my skin. I didn't like Z-Moves, I don't like how there are no new Mega Evolutions and I hate the unskippable cutscenes that play out every time you use those Z-Moves and whatever. It's a good game overall but it ran its course for me.

7 - Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam...I'm going to count this as my number 7 since this launched everywhere BUT the US in 2015: we got it in 2016 and this was my favorite Mario & Luigi. I played it right after Dream Team which was fine but I hated the giant battles. The paper-craft battles in Paper Jam though were really fun.

I expect that before New Years, I'll have played Shantae: Half-Genie Hero, Steamworld Heist, Azure Striker 2, Yo-Kai Watch 2 and, River City: Tokyo Rumble. My hype levels (and demo experience) indicates that I'll probably wind up put Yo-Kai Watch 2 and Azure Striker 2 on my list somewhere higher than Corpse Party and possibly higher than Pony Island...I may update this post in X weeks if I can be assed. I did play Pokken Tournament (I own it actually) but I just don't like it very much. I've also played No Man's Sky and Lego: The Force Awakens but since I don't own those, only played about an hour of each and didn't care much for either they're not here on my top...seven.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I'm usually one full generation behind the trend, 'cause I'm all poor and can't afford $500 consoles every year and $60+ games every week. So I'll let you know in 2018 what I think of Dishonored 2 and Doom. For example, I just finished Shadow of Mordor. It's alright. Kinda' meh. But I got it on sale, and my xbox360 only cost me $100 a few years back when the Xbone dropped.

But I did play 2 new games this year, Xcom 2 for like an hour before I got bored and played Xcom 1.
And Overwatch at a friends. Played 2 matches, decided it wasn't my thing, then we all played local MP of diablo 3. Didn't hate it, just didn't get it. I felt after 2 matches as some dude who's not Cyclops in a Vindicare mask, running around shooting Nerf guns at cosplayers and robots that I've played this enough in like a dozen other games.

So kinda' a meh year from my experience.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
I haven't played near enough games this year to have a Top 10 list so here's my top 3:

1) The Last Guardian
It's the perfect game to cap off the Team ICO trilogy as The Last Guardian has you basically fill the Yorda role from ICO but have a colossus as a pet. There's something about the organic level design that you can't find anywhere else. The environments and puzzles rarely feel game-y. Often time when you do get stuck it's due to ingrained video game assumptions stopping you from seeing the much more obvious and simple solution. I don't really find the controls to be bad at all, the boy has a purposeful weight to him so he stumbles a bit when jumping. And the Team ICO games have real platforming to them unlike most current platformers where you just jump and a canned animation plays showing your character making it across. You will feel nervous when jumping due to you actually having to make the jumps and not because you hope the controls work. The camera is definitely wonky at times but with regards to the environments and size of Trico, issues are bond to occur. The one thing I think they could've done with the camera was to have the interiors turn transparent while having the camera pull through them. You'll never die because of the controls or camera though. Lastly, I found Trico's AI to be really enjoyable to work with. You really have to work with Trico and if you pay attention and have some patience, you'll learn how to give the right commands. I guess the best comparison is that the game is like running a 3 legged race with a friend. There will be a couple times that you will struggle with Trico as the AI isn't perfect.

2) Dishonored 2
It's basically more Dishonored. There are some slight improvements like having 2 protagonists with different power sets. There are some things that the 1st game did better like having much more elaborate alternative ways of taking care of the targets. The core game is still just marvelous allowing for such creativity. Dishonored is more of a sandbox game in a sense than most sandbox games, not in openness but in creativity, which is the important part. Dishonored gives you all these tools and it's sorta up to you to make fun use of them. The complaints about Dishonored being too easy because of powers is missing the point as the games aren't trying to be hardcore stealth games like Thief. Just watch any video done by StealthGamerBR on YouTube and that's what these games are about. And, Dishonored 2's level design is just exquisite, the Clockwork Mansion and A Crack in Time are some of the best designed levels possibly ever.

3) Battleborn
It is basically Borderlands The MOBA and it's quite awesome. GearBox really should've called it a Borderlands game to get the better name recognition and it would've sold much better if it was just marketed as competitive online Borderlands. Even story-wise, you can easily fit it into Borderlands lore. The gameplay is just great with loads of depth, and everyone should have at least a couple characters that they'll love playing as. After playing Battleborn, I only played like 2 matches of the Overwatch beta and I was bored with how simplistic the game modes were.

sgy0003 said:
1. Uncharted 4
Let's start the list off with a very solid game. Uncharted 4 puts Nathan Drake on the last adventure of his life, and what a hell of a way to send off the franchise. This game has great platforming, amazing graphics, and awesome graphics. What more can you ask for?
I found Uncharted 4 to be so excruciatingly average. Sam just didn't work for me at all, I didn't care for the character plus he wasn't even mentioned in any of the 1st 3 games. All the times Drake and Sam are adventuring together, I was thinking about how much better it would be with Elena. And, all the chapters with Elena are just so much better, but there's not near enough of them. Even all the scenes with Drake and Elena are far better, just Elena and Drake living normal lives was more interesting than Drake and Sam adventuring. I so hated when the game tells you that one of those boring chapters you played through never happened. Even the gameplay I found to be very average, there was really only one set-piece and they showed it at E3. Naughty Dog opened up the levels for more stealth but it just came off as a poor man's Metal Gear, FarCry, Watch Dogs, etc. I even hated the gun mechanics on most of the guns. Why was there like 1 automatic gun that was actually usable? Just about all of them had ridiculous recoil, this is Uncharted not an old school Ghost Recon or Socom game. The only game in the series that I really enjoyed was Uncharted 2.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
10 GOTY Games for 2016?!
Really?

Well, here are my 2(two) candidates at least.

Enter the Gungeon
Fun little game that seems like a quick time waster but the more you play the longer the game session gets,
kind of like Rogue Legacy actually.

Stellaris
Still a bit of a mess but it's quietly getting better.
They just need to rework/remove Sectors, Warscore, etc some things
And add more Victories, Diplomacy options, Customizations of setup, etc Customization and options for players.
Nice modding potential and future support.

Also,
Thanks to this thread I've found out that the sequels/reboots Outcast Second Contact and Star Control: Origins are in the making.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Hmmmm, did I even play 10 games released this year? Due to me having very little time and only getting a PS4 last October, this year has been mainly catching up with stuff from previous years. So lets see...

1) XCOM 2: This was tough, it was basically a toss up between this and my second game. But this one won out. I love and hate this game in equal measures, when everything is going great then this is a really enjoyable game. When everything turns to shit, which it does more often than not, then this becomes a really tense, nailbiting experience as you prey that your soldiers hit those shots that are about 25% to hit and the enemy suddenly get the aim of Starwars Storm Troopers. That is when this game is at its best in my opinion. Add in some fun base building and time resource management, this game is great. Even though I am rubbish at it.

2) Rise of the Tomb Raider: This is second because while I enjoyed it, there are some things that annoyed me. Stuff like Lara leaping into freezing cold water in skimpy outfits and then not dying of hypothermia 5 minutes after getting out and running around in the freezing cold weather. The set pieces did nothing for me at all, they were supposed to be exciting but I don't know if I am Uncharted-ed out, they really didn't excite me. Also, there was the character who betrayed you after 2 minutes of characterization and it was supposed to be a shock. That's a lot of complaints from me, but I still enjoyed the game, it was pretty solid, but I think they really need to change it up next time.

3) Life is Strange: Was my game of the year last year and got a physical release this year, so I'm still counting it.

4) Uncharted 4: Disappointing. Fantastic graphics and one of the best set pieces of the series, but I was disappointed. There was a lot of time where you were walking around not doing an awful lot, the Scotland mission went on far too long. Wasn't a fan of the not forced, but strongly encouraged stealth. Sam was ok and working with Sully again was fun, but I would have liked to of worked with Cutter and Chloe too. I know she is the DLC and Cutter was name checked, for a send off to the series, I felt they should have been better if they had of made a cameo. The gameplay itself was ok, I think the melee combat was at its best in 3 when you could batter people around the head with a fish, it seemed like a step back in this one. I liked it, but yeah, disappointed.

5) Valkyria Chronicles, Europa Edition: Debating with myself whether this should be higher, I love this game, one of my favourite games of all time and loved this edition with its smoother frame rate and updated visuals. I did find myself cringing at the dialog at times, but otherwise yeah, this should definitely be higher, but can't be arsed to change it now.

6) Deus Ex: Mankind Divided: In my opinion, not as good as Human Revolution. It was more of the same which is good but in my mind, in HR, Adam had a personal reason for doing what he was doing, find out what happened to his girlfriend. In this one he is doing what he is doing because he is being told to by two different groups of people and it doesn't seem so urgent or interesting. Doing all the side missions and exploring Prague is far more interesting than the actual story and they got rid of the yellow filter which I loved in HR as it gave it a really unique look. Maybe I'll feel differently after I finish the game, but yeah, its alright but not great.

7) Valley: A nice chilled out indie FPS with a fun running and jumping mechanic and a story told in letter and tape form which included 2 characters that I ended up caring about more than in most triple A games. Its not hard and its not very long, but its enjoyable while it lasts. Just don't let the valley die.

8) No Mans Sky: Yeah I liked it, bite me. I haven't turned it on recently but think I might do when they finish adding stuff.

So yeah, not 10. I will see what I get given for Christmas, but yeah, as it stands that is pretty much my top 8 of the year.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
Ten...? Jeez. The only new games I bought this year were XCOM 2 and Doom... so I guess those get GOTY by default?

I got a free copy of Skyrim Special Edition, I guess... which I never bothered to install.

I technically also had Deus Ex: Mankind Divided... for like twenty minutes. I watched the opening cutscene, messed around with some settings, then found out about the bullshit the game tried to pull with the one-time-use-ever pre-order bonuses, the microtransactions, and the super cringey "aug lives matter" stuff and returned the game to Steam on principle. If I'm going to have to deal with that bullshit, I'll wait until the price drops to $9.99 or lower. I can be patient.

I plan to buy season 3 of Telltale's Walking Dead, when that comes out. I might pick up the PC re-release of Halo Wars, assuming I don't have to buy it through Microsoft's awful store.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
I'm not sure how this would rank against everyone else's choices but I'd like to nominate "Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun". Boy what an experience! First of all, I haven't seen a real time tactics game like this since Commandos 3 (or Desperadoes since I ended up trying that later) but I sure missed the genre, and this game seemed to not only revive the genre, but improve on it as well, with 360 camera rotation, dialogue between characters during gameplay, and level designs that really forced you to rely on all of your characters, instead of letting you clear the stage with the one guy who seemed to do it the best, a problem that seemed to grow with each sequel to the Commandos franchise.

For a game that was clearly derivative of some classic gems from the past, it definitely came across as a well-made professional product worthy of its price tag.

chrissx2

Sep 15, 2008
In no specific order :

Tyranny
Dishonored 2
Rise of Tomb Raider (not sure if it was released this year - i bought it a week ago)
DooM 4
Shadow Warrior 2
Clustertruck

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Well, confining this to games released in 2016, and including re-releases in this year:

5) Paladins: This is still in beta, so it could just as easily get a 2017 entry as well. But taking the game as it stands, it's...fine. It's average. It's enjoyable for very short sessions, but that's about it. As weird as this sounds, what I feel this game really misses is context - who are "the paladins?" What is this place? Why are they fighting? It might be a petty gripe, but even something like HotS benefits from giving context behind the Nexus and the poor schmucks drawn into it.

So, it's fine, but that's about it. "Fine."

4) Doom

Oh Doom. I want to like you. I really do. I think it's good that this kind of shooter can exist nowdays, and I think there's potential in the concept, but...well, okay. The multiplayer is lacklustre. The demon rune is a nice idea, but the universal ammo system and loadouts...yeah, no thanks. It just doesn't work for these kind of arenas, not to mention it takes for ages to get a match. But fine, what about the singleplayer?

Well, singleplayer is better, but marred by how repetitive it is. It's one arena fight after the other - get to an area, kill all the demons, move on, rinse, repeat. There's exceptions to this, but there's such a feeling of artificiality that it just gets so tiresome after awhile. The rune system is a nice idea, but gets frustrating when you reach the point where you have to hinder yourself to get higher runes, not to mention that some are pointless. There's no reason to upgrade your pistol, and the iron sights mod for the assault rifle is practically useless - it's almost like it's trolling the very idea of taking enemies out from a distance. And finally, the story. It's lacklustre. The Doom Slayer gets some characterization in clever ways, but these instances are few and far between. The lore is a patchwork that you need to figure out, but even after figuring it all out, there's just so many unanswered questions that I can only conclude they're being saved for a sequel. The ending is a cliffhanger, Pierce is as 2D as you get, and...yeah.

Doom is a net positive, but there's just so many flaws in so many areas that I can't call it "good." I think a sequel could fix these things to good effect, but the game as it is...well, a flawed gem, I guess. But I'm the guy who lists Doom 3 as his favorite Doom, so go figure.

3) StarCraft II: Nova Covert Ops

I've gone into length discussing this DLC elsewhere, so I'll keep this short. NCO is basically a SC2 budget campaign. If the StarCraft II trilogy were blockbusters, Nova Covert Ops is the direct to DVD sequel that's released as one last hurrah. So, no, it's not as good as those other games in terms of plot or gameplay. But, by itself, it is pretty fun. Plot is decent, characters are decent, the level variety is as good as ever, as is your level of army customization. So, like Evolution, Nova Covert Ops does feel like an unnecessary sequel to a storyline that ended perfectly in Legacy of the Void. But, as far as unnecessary sequels go, you could do a lot worse. So, gg, Blizz, gg. Now give me my Alarak mission pack. ;p

2) Gears of War 4

I get the feeling that Gears of War isn't a much loved franchise on this site. This being #2 won't rile up as many people as if I put, say, a Call of Duty game "here, but I can imagine people asking "seriously? You chest-high-wall loving noob, don't you know that "real gamers" don't use cover? Well, shudup, it's my list. And no, I don't think GoW 4 should be game of the year - it's the fifth installment in its franchise, and it doesn't really do anything new for it, but what it does do, it does very well. There's a lot of creativity in the singleplayer that shakes up the core gameplay. The character banter is still good, and it's a far more confident sequel than, say, Halo 4, which is lacking in almost every respect. And the multiplayer is still good, especially with deployables. Maybe a bit too easy if you know what you're doing in regards to choke points, and often players leave after ten rounds, but still fun.

So, that's Gears of War 4, a.k.a. the third best Gears game in the series. Not the most original, not the most creative, but easily the most fun I've had in a Gears game since Gears of War 2.

1) Super Metroid

This gets a spot because of the 3DS re-release, which I purchased via download. So, Metroid...I'm very much a weirdo in this spot in regards to the Metroid games - up to now, only played Zero Mission, Fusion, Hunters, and Prime (never completed). Basically enjoy the 2D games, not the 3D ones, and at least by YouTube watching, I've never found Other M to be that bad. Flawed, yes, but no worse than some other stinkers, but can't really comment since I haven't actually, y'know, played it. So, anyway, Super Metroid came out, decided to play it, and question is, does it hold up?

...well, yes. Very well actually. While I personally prefer Zero Mission and Fusion, I can easily see why this game is held in such high regard, and personal preference aside, it's the game that ZM and Fusion owe their style of gameplay to. There's not much I can fault the game on - the controls are a bit stiff (though maybe that's more the 3DS's control scheme), and the plot is largely absent, but I can live with the latter, since the game is far more focused on isolation and exploration, and in that, it does pretty well. I feel Fusion does it better, but still pretty good. So, while not my favorite Metroid game, it's easy to see how it could be someone else's. And at the end of the day, it does get the #1 spot on my list because while Gears did give me more "fun," I can see how groundbreaking Super Metroid would have been back in the day, not to mention that it holds up so well.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
- Stardew Valley is brilliant, and definitely my GOTY. It's silly, but also heartfelt, oddly subversive, packed to the gills with content, and so gosh darn addictive I've played it for 73 hours.
- Pony Island is alright. The story and design are fun but the core gameplay is pretty dull.
- Bravely Second is more Bravely Default. I liked Bravely Default, so I'm enjoying this.

Now as for the games which didn't actually come out this year but I played for the first time this year, in no particular order:
- Persona 4 is pretty great. The only reason I've not played more of it is because of the fairly punishing difficulty.
- Gravity Rush is slight, but flying through the air is undeniably fun.
- Tearaway is too short, but I only think that because I liked the preceding parts so much. The graphics are particularly nice.
- I have no idea where Steins;Gate is going, but I'm enjoying it so far.
- Shovel Knight has excellent platforming, nice art, and a good cast of characters.
- Her Story is a bit of an oddity. I can't say it's the best whodunnit I've ever come across, but diverting in it's own way.
- I find Quake too frustrating and drab to play in anything other than short bursts, but I don't hate it.
- Life of Strange is riddled with plot holes and goes totally off the rails near the end, but it's largely a good experience.
- Hotline Miami is fantastic fun. A truly great piece of neon ultra violence. Fascinating and fucked up.
- On the downside, Hotline Miami 2's campaign is a bit shit. On the upside, it has a level editor and Steam workshop levels.
- I would find Fallout much more enjoyable if I could just explore without a time limit.
- Fallout 2's tutorial is completely unfair towards low strength characters, which is a huge turn off for me.
- Fez is lovely. Seeing Gomez's face when he gets a cube is like having liquid happiness piped into your veins.
- Thief II's character models may look like they've been roughly sculpted from ham, but the gameplay is everything I want from stealth action.

G00N3R7883

Feb 16, 2011
I haven't played many of the big AAA games from 2016 yet as I've been waiting to upgrade my PC, so for the last few months I've been focusing more on indie games. I'm sure games like Doom, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Total War Warhammer, Shadow Warrior 2 and Dishonoured 2 would all have a chance to be included on this list. I'll be playing Telltale's Batman, and Tyranny during my Xmas holiday.

Having said that, so far my list looks like this

1) Witcher 3 Blood and Wine
2) Rise of the Tomb Raider
3) Banner Saga 2
4) Dreamfall Chapters
5) Grim Dawn
6) Super Hot
7) Oxenfree
8) Solus Project
9) Xcom 2
10) Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire

Pretty much everything on this list is because it has either a great story, fun combat system, or both.

necromanzer52

Mar 19, 2009
Don't think I've played any games that came out this year yet. I did play the first two Monkey Island games though. They were pretty good. Some of the puzzles were incredibly cryptic, but it's all part of the joke. Check them out if you want a good laugh.

I also beat Crash Bandicoot with all the gems. Never thought I'd pull that off. It's like I'm slowly taking care of all my unfinished business with my childhood games. Maybe I'll have another crack at Rayman one of these days.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Not really a top ten, but I put this together around the whole "Make up Awards" thing

Game of the Year: Dishonored 2 vs DOOM
Honorable Mention - Titanfall 2
Indie GOTY - Salt & Sanctuary vs Rebel Galaxy
Honorable Mention - Steamworld Heist
Expansion otY - Rise of Iron (Destiny) vs The Following (Dying Light)
Most Improved - Watch_Dogs 2 vs No Mans Sky (Foundation Updated)
Overpriced and Overhyped - No Mans Sky (Release Version) vs Overwatch
Enough with the Re-skinned Games as Sequels - Dark Souls 3 vs Battlefield 1
Ruined by Forever-Early-Access-Syndrome - Starbound vs Darkest Dungeon

The only thing that I've played since from 2016 was Just Cause 3, which was a bad enough impression to go through the arduous process of refunding on PSN.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Warhammer Total War:

K-sha

Dec 2, 2016
in no particular order

Valkyrie Drive: Bhikuni
Megadimension Neptunia VII
Senran Kagura Estival Versus
Nights of Azure
Blazblue Central Fiction
Nitroplus Blasterz: Heroine infinite duel