Your arguably BEST ending.

Tassit

May 16, 2013
For me personally..
Video games:
- Enslaved Journey to the West, if nothing else but for that OMG at the end.
- Xenogears: For the whole game, even if the end is a little odd.
- Tales of Graces f: Play the extended game addon. Beautiful, beautiful heart touching ending.

Anime:
- Ergo Proxy: I was hooked from start, I <3 mindfuck animes.
- Metropolis: Very heart breaking.
- Outlaw Star: ^

I played another game that had a heart melting ending, but for the life of me I can't remember.. I need to sleep. :)

pilouuuu

Aug 18, 2009
Return of the Jedi. I loved the conclusion. I just hated how they changed the music at the end and managed to include Jar-Jar Binks in Naboo and a idiotic young Anakin ghost. Way to ruin good thing, Lucas!

I think the ending to The Matrix was very open but satisfying. It should have ended there.

The ending to Avatar The Last Airbender was amazing even if it left some plot holes. Epic! The ending to the movie, well... I haven't managed to watch it for more than half an hour, so I have no idea. It probably sucks!

For me the best ending is the one in The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. I hate the fact that ending are usually so short. Not this one. It's an epic conclusion to an epic journey!

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
I'll have to go with Ed Edd n Eddy's Big Picture Show.

That movie, in my opinion, pays the ultimate amount of homage to the show while deconstructing many of its elements and characters.

I won't spoil it for those of you who haven't seen it, but it also does a lot to explain why Eddy has acted the way he did throughout the show, and puts him through a genuine character arc that actually sticks with him at the end. I think that should tell you how good this movie is.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Kingdom Hearts, any of them. I replayed the first recently via the HD collection, and its ending cutscene and credits got me right in the feels.

Metal Gear Solid 3.
The Boss is a damned hero. 'Nuff said. Also, Snake's face during his award ceremony really sold the whole feel of the revelations.

Red Dead Redemption.
John's mission to save his family was touching enough, without his death at the hands of the government's forces. Yet, to add even more power to the events, his endeavour to keep his son from the kind of life he lived, that is one of killing, is undone with the final side mission where Jack hunts down his father's killer. He took after John in order to exact justice. It's a brilliant irony.

Final Fantasy X. I just can't describe this one. It really needs to be experienced. Suffice it to say, playing over 100 hours getting as much as possible, then going for the endgame makes the ending hit like a damned truck. It's goddamned beautiful, and completely undermined by X-2. *shakes fist*

Mass Effect 2. I love the trilogy as a whole, but the sheer FUCK YEAH feeling after acing the last mission is unparalleled.

Vern5

Mar 3, 2011
I'm going to be super classy and say that my favorite ending is the finale of Romeo & Juliet (The play performance, not those fucking movies).

Two stupid kids from two stupid families in a stupid conflict with each other end up wanting each other and come up with a stupidly complex plot to be together and fucking die as a result. Stupid but so deliciously ironic.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Nothing stick out to me for Movies/TV/Anime, my top two regardless of medium is a game and a book.

Anyways for real endings, in games nothings ever topped Shadow of the Colossus for me. Just an amazing, impactful, bittersweet ending, where the whole story just builds up to that one point and leaves you breathless.

I guess that's kind of my thing, because my other favourite ending is for Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy. The first two books had great endings as well, but the third and final was just amazing how it all came together. Since fantasy literature is getting taken more seriously in Hollywood these days if I could have my pick this is the one I'd turn into a movie trilogy.

Then for an on honorary mention, the 'ending' itself wasn't really anything special but Lunar 2: Eternal Blue has always stood out to me because never mind the ending it had an actual epilogue. You beat the baddy, save the world, but lose the girl. Then end. But then you get to keep playing! Travel back through all the towns you saved (new dialogue everywhere), re-unite your party, and go on a 4 hour long side quest to get the girl back. It was really a nice touch and great bit of extra value on the game. Also, it fits perfectly well into the story, and doesn't 'ruin it' FFX-2 did to FFX.

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
tippy2k2 said:
I'm so very frightened being in this thread...I hate spoilers and all it's going to take is ONE guy to decide that Spoiler tags are not needed for that one show I've been meaning to watch and all of my happiness will drain away...

The Shield

That was about the best endings I've ever seen. I don't think a show has EVER made me as sick to my stomach (in a good way though) as this one did. Throughout the entire run of the show, these four corrupt cops did some very bad things but always stuck together. Finally, as Shane murders one of his own to keep a secret, Vic feels the pressure from everywhere. Shane is on the run and will spill everything that they have ever done if he gets caught. Eventually, Vic gets a FBI job which has the condition of pardoning him for everything he's done as long as he confesses it. Vic tells Ronnie, the surviving member that isn't on the run, that he will have a job for both of them there.

It falls through. Vic, in order to save himself, spills everything to the Feds to give himself immunity, leaving Ronnie pissing in the wind. Ronnie is arrested but the kicker is that Shane kills himself rather than being taken. Shane bluffed it...Vic spilled everything to save himself for absolutely no reason. The FBI, disgusted with what they have, stick him in a desk. The end scene is Vic standing, looking out the high skyscraper window. Two of his best friends are dead, the third is going to prison for a long time, and everyone around him (including his former wife and kids) absolutely hate him for what he's done in the past. This is not what he wanted at all...

END SCENE

Just absolutely beautiful. I would strongly recommend this show for it is one of the best cable shows that has ever been created. It's on Netflix so have at it; you'll thank me later.
Holy shit, I've never seen the Shield before, but that ending makes me want to. Takes some serious balls.

I really liked the ending to Little Big League, mostly because the Mariners win. If you're wondering Tippy, I mostly quoted you to ensure you see this.

Also the ending of the Saints Row 4 add-on Enter the Dominatrix... why you may ask? because its fucking awesome, that's why.